Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New / Replacement / Updated Spark Plug # ???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New / Replacement / Updated Spark Plug # ???

I'm due in for my next oil change relatively soon and still have a few of those freebie oil changes form the Dealership to take advantage of....

My question is, now that I'm slightly a tick over 30K on my odometer, I was contemplating having them swap out the spark plugs for those newer ones I've heard about.....

Although I haven't had any problems with the original ones that came with my SHO when I bought her 2 years ago, I would like to know if anyone out there has, or knows of, the proper Ford Part # for the updated / replacement spark plug that some of you have switched over to?

Also, do any of you know even beyond that updated plug #, is there, or are there, any aftermarket companies out there that are producing plugs for our SHO's yet?

Like those NGK Iridium E3's or w/e?

Thanks in advance for any help with this :hail:

2010 SHO (#690 of 1,064) Currently at: 443AWHP/456AWTQ, Mod List Located Here: http://www.hkmediachicago.com/#!sponsored/cnos

New AWHP & AWTQ #'s coming soon......

I think pretty much everyone has a plug now Mike... I'll post up the part #s
    2010 Ingot Silver SHO, 2nd quickest Gen4 12.13 at 117, Livernois Motorsports, Mobsteel, SCT, AlkyControl, Unleashed Tuning, Corsa, H&R......

Comment

Mike I did mine last summer I got from rockauto.com and they where the update plug. I can check the part no. out in the garage for you also. I will texted you. Also rockauto has dense iridiums too.
      http://www.ecoboostownerforums.com/f...iledataid=2038

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, H&R springs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

Comment

Originally posted by darreli View Post
        I think pretty much everyone has a plug now Mike... I'll post up the part #s
        Thanks Darrell, I do appreciate it.

I mean if there's a "better" after market performance type plug that would be more suited for our applications (since you and I have similar mods) then that'd be great.

But even if the updated plug from FoMo is better than what came with from the production / assembly line, that'd be ok to....

But just to be clear, I'd prefer THE BEST plug currently available.

BTW..... nice to see you on the boards once again Darrell :thumb:

Hope all's been going well with you my friend :wave:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

2010 SHO (#690 of 1,064) Currently at: 443AWHP/456AWTQ, Mod List Located Here: http://www.hkmediachicago.com/#!sponsored/cnos

Comment

Mike,

I installed updated # plugs about a month ago. All of a sudden at 34,000 mi. I was getting a slight misfire when in heavy traffic, stop & go driving. Acted like plug was loading up. Eventually check engine light came on and the code was a misfire in #6 cylinder. That's the front radiator side extreme right cylinder. The plug looked good and was an almost perfect light brown. But the gap was greater than the stock .035. New Ford plugs are made in Japan and come gaped at .035 and are not adjustable. Personally, I would use the new # Ford plug. (Motorcraft SP-528 CYFS-12-Y3). Check to see what Livernois suggests. Believe they are around $4. a piece from Rock Auto.
          93 SHO - Red Auto, 91 SHO - Black, 90 SHO - White, 89 SHO - Black - ALL sold!
          DAZED, CONFUSED, & VERKLEMPT!

Comment

I'm running Densos now. On heat range colder than stock.

Haha Mike! You know I still talk to you ALL the time!!
            2010 Ingot Silver SHO, 2nd quickest Gen4 12.13 at 117, Livernois Motorsports, Mobsteel, SCT, AlkyControl, Unleashed Tuning, Corsa, H&R......

Comment

Originally posted by darreli View Post
              I'm running Densos now. On heat range colder than stock.
              Part # and/or link on where to buy by chance?

Thanks bro! :thumb:

Comment

I believe Darrell is running the Denso ITV22's.
                Mike

FASTEST 2011 Ford Taurus SHO on record @ 12.0909 115 mph
                Silver/Black LOADED
                Ford Lockpick
                Forgestar F14"s 20x9.5 with Nitto Invo's
                Wilwood Front Big Brake Kit from TCE
                Airaid CAI
                Corsa Cat back
                Livernois Down Pipes
                Livernois Tune's
                H&R Springs with camber bolts.
                Torrie - 170 F Thermo & Radiator
                L&M Airflow Throttle Body "Only one made and I have it" :bounce:
                Alkycontrol Meth Injection
                Upgraded Turbo's
                2013 Trans and Oil Cooler
                LED's on always

Comment

I found the Denso site....

http://www.densoiridium.com/find_part.php

and it looks like the specific plug they spec for the 2010 Taurus SHO is what they term the "ITV20".....

(2010 FORD TAURUS SHO 3.5L (V6) ITV20 Iridium Power)

Is there even an ITV22? If so, how is that different from what their site suggests?

Comment

Heat range 22, colder plug. Yes they have them and you can buy them.

There is actually an ITV22, 24 and 27 heat range.

http://www.globaldenso.com/en/produc...ower/spec.html
                    Last edited by First-SHO; 03-10-2012, 05:47 PM. Reason: More info
                    Mike

Silver/Black LOADED
                    Ford Lockpick
                    Airaid CAI
                    Corsa Cat back
                    Livernois Down Pipes
                    Livernois Tune's
                    Upgraded Turbo's
                    LED's on always

Comment

Mike what are the benefits to running a colder plug?

I've heard of people doing so, I just don't know personally what are the benefits of doing so.....

Any explanation is appreciated.

Comment

Helps prevent detonation, but here is the correct terminology.

http://www.globaldenso.com/en/produc...nge/index.html
                        Mike

Silver/Black LOADED
                        Ford Lockpick
                        Airaid CAI
                        Corsa Cat back
                        Livernois Down Pipes
                        Livernois Tune's
                        Upgraded Turbo's
                        LED's on always

Comment

A textbook explanation....

************************************************** *********************************************
                          The spark plug is in the center of the four valves in each cylinder.

*The spark plug is quite simple in theory: It forces electricity to arc across a gap, just like a bolt of lightning. The electricity must be at a very high voltage in order to travel across the gap and create a good spark. Voltage at the spark plug can be anywhere from 40,000 to 100,000 volts.

The spark plug must have an insulated passageway for this high voltage to travel down to the electrode, where it can jump the gap and, from there, be conducted into the engine block and grounded. The plug also has to withstand the extreme heat and pressure inside the cylinder, and must be designed so that deposits from fuel additives do not build up on the plug.

Spark plugs use a ceramic insert to isolate the high voltage at the electrode, ensuring that the spark happens at the tip of the electrode and not anywhere else on the plug; this insert does double-duty by helping to burn off deposits. Ceramic is a fairly poor heat conductor, so the material gets quite hot during operation. This heat helps to burn off deposits from the electrode.

Some cars require a hot plug. This type of plug is designed with a ceramic insert that has a smaller contact area with the metal part of the plug. This reduces the heat transfer from the ceramic, making it run hotter and thus burn away more deposits. Cold plugs are designed with more contact area, so they run cooler.

The difference between a "hot" and a "cold" spark plug is in the shape of the ceramic tip.

The carmaker will select the right temperature plug for each car. Some cars with high-performance engines naturally generate more heat, so they need colder plugs. If the spark plug gets too hot, it could ignite the fuel before the spark fires; so it is important to stick with the right type of plug for your car.
                          ************************************************** ************************************************** *************
                          I run very cold plugs in our 502 boat engine as it sometimes runs at 5,200 RPM for several minutes straight... Also run a very low temp thermostat.

Since it seems that the EB SHO runs hotter than the EB Flex, it would likely benefit more from cooler plugs. That does not mean that EB Flex owners who are using W/M and running at the strip, shouldn't consider cooler than stock plugs... I just run what Torrie suggests.....
                          93 SHO - Red Auto, 91 SHO - Black, 90 SHO - White, 89 SHO - Black - ALL sold!
                          DAZED, CONFUSED, & VERKLEMPT!

Comment

Thanks Mike and Bob :thumb:

I also found some info while you guys posted those replies.... does what appears below seem to make some sense??

The type of plug you use will depend on your level of modification. A good upgrade for a stock engine is to replace the OEM plugs with a type known as "cooler" than stock.

The idea behind cooler plugs is that they will dissipate heat away from the electrodes more quickly than standard plugs. Since excess heat in the combustion chamber is one of the chief causes of knock, running cooler plugs helps to lower the chances of it occurring.

Understand that a cooler plug does not have a "cooler spark". The reason a cooler plug stays cool is because it has a smaller insulator, so heat can more easily escape.

An OEM plug is good for a stock engine and for drivers with conservative driving habits.

Running a plug that is one stage, or one step cooler is for spirited driving, or for moderate engine modification.

Plugs that are two, or even three stages, or steps cooler than an OEM plug should only be considered for use in cars running very high boost and/or used exclusively for racing.

The size of your turbos and the mods to your engine/exhaust will determine your level of boost and the plugs you should use. Using plugs that are too cool can result in plug fouling.

This is a condition where a plug's electrodes become coated in soot/debris, preventing easy starting or even causing misfires.

Comment

Also looks like the proper Denso Part # for those ITV22's is: 267700-2500

I'm wondering if I should be picking up a set of 6 of these and toss'n 'em in while my mechanic pal and I install the Full Meth Kit next week?

Especially since (from what I understand) that the tune file Rick from LMS sent me for the meth kit has raised boost even beyond the "normal" Stage 4.
                              Last edited by bpd1151; 03-10-2012, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X