Ecoboost Owner Forums

No Heat at Idle

I've noticed the same issue lately. However I've found that if I turn the climate control off for a few seconds and then back on, everything is OK. This makes me think it is the common air door issue in the HVAC unit. I'll get it checked out next time I get an oil change.

If my car is at idle the heated air goes to cool, rev the engine and all is well.

Any help? I have heard about the water pump impellor going bad.

Noticed the same thing w mine the other night, had it set on vent/floor,

thought it was a bit weird,

haven't tried cycling the climate control into/out of auto.

Let it warm up with the coolant reservoir cap off with the heat full blast, watch the coolant level and at some point a large "burp" of bubbling air should work its way out, some times quickly sometimes not so much spilling some over. Have replacement coolant at the ready. The next day or when the car fully cools off recheck the level and top off as needed.

If you haven,t done anything to the cooling system than don't try to burp the system. It doesn't need it. It may be something as simple as a vacuum hose your dealer should be able to fix it. It also may be because you have the system set to auto and the sensor on the dash senses heat and turns on the air.. The HVAC system in our cars are very complex and I had to read the book to figure out what was happening. Good luck

• 1 month later...

Have you checked your coolant levels? If the reservoir seems to be the correct level, I'd still try adding a quart of coolant at a time, drive the car with the heat on for a bit, check it again. Repeat till heat works properly again, keeping an eye on the reservoir levels. All levels checked after engine has cooled down. This has worked for some folks as an alternative to "burping".

Yes. I have checked the Coolant level. The first step I did to attempt a fix to take it to my dealer who as a first step replaced the thermostat and gasket. That didn't work and was told that engine was burped and coolant topped at that time. I not leaking coolant. Since the heat is only cut off when car is idling at 500 rpm but will blow hot air at 600 rpm and over I logically think this is some sort of vent gate that is loose or malfunctioning. Thanks for replying back. I will still try what you all are recommending.

• 3 weeks later...