Ecoboost Owner Forums

Finally installed the LMS tune - WOW!!

pejohnson

I have a 13 SHO PP with 13k miles and finally pulled the trigger on installing a tune. Here is a list of the items installed or modified to complement the LMS tune:

• Regapped the stock Motorcraft SP-534 CYFS-12Y-T3 Iridium gapped at 0.030. It took me about an hour to do the plugs as I really took my time as this was the first time really getting my hands on the engine other than cleaning it. The plugs looked fantastic. Not a lot of carbon build up, so I was happy. Most of them were gapped from the factory between 0.032 and 0.033.
  • Installed a new 3bar CX-2231-AA5Z-9F479-B. This is a super easy switch out from the 2bar. The sensor is on the top of the manifold and is held in with one screw.
  • Installed a new LMS 160 degree Hi-Perforamance Low Temp Thermostat. I let the engine cool down for at least 6-8 hours. I say this because I lost a lot coolant, probably 1 to 2 quarts. I put a small cup and used some tin foil to create a funnel to catch any fluids unfortunately the container was not nearly big enough. After it was said and done I decided to make a trip to the dealership and buy a gallon of Ford approved coolant.
  • Installed a used Airaid 451-260 SynthaMax Dry Filter Intake System I bought off a forum member. I received a taller rubber blade to help seal better however have not had success in closing the hood properly. So the short blade is on for now.

A special thanks goes out to Anthony at LMS for walking me through everything. Also special thanks to bpd1151, crash712us and all the forum members who have provided feedback and have posted so much information on this forum. Without all of you, I would not have had the confidence to do this.

photo04_zps60d851ac.jpg

140902LMSvisit_zpse15390fd.jpg

I have only driven maybe 5 miles by myself to test the car out. The car is much more responsive. The shifts are firm which I like. The tune is still very streetable. I took my wife out for dinner and she didn't notice any difference (well she doesn't know about the tune so let's keep that a secret for now) Throttle response is better. Lastly the car is quicker. I loose traction in 1st gear and chirps the tires in 2nd gear. Brings a smile every time.

I'll have to update my sig but I am running the 93 octane 3bar tune from LMS. I don't know if that is the v8 tune or the 4+ tune.

Outstanding images, coupled with an outstanding, descriptive story, equates to one fan-flip'n-tastic post!

Thanks for the thanks and very, VERY happy you've finally morphed over to the dark side.

Now you know 1st, what we've all been hinting at, and you will come to experience for yourself.

Enjoy your newly discovered, unbridled power hidden from within..... keep the community updated as to what the prognosis may be when the oral surgeon tells you he can't remove what some of us around here have affectionately dubbed the "PERMA-GRIN".

That's funny about keeping it secret from the wifey....I had the exact same experience...mine only found out about the tune about 2 months ago...doesn't know about the upgrades...to Stage 4X. So I understand where you're coming from, just remember no WOT bursts while she's in the car...because they are a dead give-a-way. I made the mistake of letting mine drive the car home from Olive Garden and when she spun the tires on a little fast start from a red light...I had several questions to answer....

• 5 weeks later...
I have a 13 SHO PP with 13k miles and finally pulled the trigger on installing a tune. Here is a list of the items installed or modified to complement the LMS tune:

• Regapped the stock Motorcraft SP-534 CYFS-12Y-T3 Iridium gapped at 0.030. It took me about an hour to do the plugs as I really took my time as this was the first time really getting my hands on the engine other than cleaning it. The plugs looked fantastic. Not a lot of carbon build up, so I was happy. Most of them were gapped from the factory between 0.032 and 0.033.

• Installed a new 3bar CX-2231-AA5Z-9F479-B. This is a super easy switch out from the 2bar. The sensor is on the top of the manifold and is held in with one screw.

• Installed a new LMS 160 degree Hi-Perforamance Low Temp Thermostat. I let the engine cool down for at least 6-8 hours. I say this because I lost a lot coolant, probably 1 to 2 quarts. I put a small cup and used some tin foil to create a funnel to catch any fluids unfortunately the container was not nearly big enough. After it was said and done I decided to make a trip to the dealership and buy a gallon of Ford approved coolant.

• Installed a used Airaid 451-260 SynthaMax Dry Filter Intake System I bought off a forum member. I received a taller rubber blade to help seal better however have not had success in closing the hood properly. So the short blade is on for now.

A special thanks goes out to Anthony at LMS for walking me through everything. Also special thanks to bpd1151, crash712us and all the forum members who have provided feedback and have posted so much information on this forum. Without all of you, I would not have had the confidence to do this.

photo04_zps60d851ac.jpg

140902LMSvisit_zpse15390fd.jpg

I really like the black on white for the SHO, IDK what it is about the car that makes that monochromatic combo look so sick! pe, just wait til you make the jump to downpipe and extra throttle response! THAT'S WHEN THE REAL FUN STARTS!!!

Nice place to keep the SHO! I know some folks don't care for the caliper covers, but I'm really happy with them, they've cut down on the dirt from the brakes and I went with the natural color because I didn't really want to draw attention to the calipers, just improve the overall look of the car. Honestly, I would purchase them again, I have not had one comment from anyone either positive or negative about the covers, so the did the job I wanted, cleaning up the overall look of the brakes/wheel without drawing attention to that area.

IMG_5646_zps7e5718c5.jpg