Ecoboost Owner Forums

Replacing Blend Door Actuator Instructions

There are other threads discussing this, but I thought a dedicated thread with instructions might help others. I have received so much help here that it is payback time, finally, with me posting info that may help others (versus the other way around). :)

I did this last night in my MKS, and I have a 3 out of 10 skill level. The whole procedure took me about 15 minutes thanks to tips from others on this forum (particularly Jack Skellington and crash712us ).

The symptoms: Clicking/tapping noise coming from the dash area near the passenger side when the car is on and the climate control system is on.

The Part: Door blend actuator (part number: AA5Z-19E616-C) . I got mine on ebay for $19.00 shipped. It is a genuine Motocraft part. Here is the link to the part and a photo I took of the part.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-FORD-LINCOLN-MERCURY-OEM-BLEND-DOOR-ACTUATOR-AA5Z-19E616-C-/280886764325?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true

aturatorpart.jpg

Directions:

Fully release your glove box door so it "hangs" down. There are two clips/bumper stops on the right and left side, towards the rear of the glove box interior that need to be removed to do this. It is the identical first step you take when changing the in-cabin air filter. Once the door drops, you will see this:

atuatorincar.jpg

You will clearly see the white part. There are 2 clearly visible hexagon head screws holding it in. Remove them. Then, undo the electrical clip fastener. The part will now be free from the car.

Connect the electrical connector to the new part and try to insert the white gear shaft (attached to the rear of the actuator part) into the opening in the car to re-secure the part, using the 2 hex head screws, to the car.

In my case, the gear shaft was not properly lined up. You will note from the photo below, there is a small flat area on the gear shaft - it is not perfectly symmetrical, so it can only go in one way. If it does not line up, start the car and fiddle with the temperature control (hot/cold) , as that will turn the gear shaft clockwise and counter clockwise. Play with it until it is in the right position to insert with the 2 hex head screws lining up. This is very easy, but takes a minute or two to fiddle with to line it up. See non-symmetrical gear shaft below - the "flat" area is facing you.

exterioirgear.jpg

Once it is lines up, inserted, and the screws are back in, simply put the glove box back into position and re-insert the two rubber bumpers/stoppers. And, you are DONE!!! $19.00 and 15 minutes or less with nothing more than a hex head driver saves you a trip to the dealer.

P.S. If you have not changed yourecabin air filter in a while, You might want to do that before re-securing the glovebox, since the filter door is completely accessible.

The Culprit:

I opened up the broken actuator and the photo is below. You can see some inner gears are work down and broken in the center of the photograph.

insidegears.jpg

Hope all of this helps a fellow member! :)

TODD

Mine just started clicking yesterday....called my dealer and the service manager said that with the dual zone climate control that each side has a door blend actuator and he wants to check it to make sure to get the one that is not working. I suspect it is the passenger side, however, I can't be 100% sure. I was surprised to learn that there are 2 door blend actuator. Since my car is due for the annual Pennsylvania state inspection I am letting the dealer repair it, since it is still covered by the warranty. But Todd this "How-To" is well done and I believe I will move it to that section so others can use it for reference if you have no objections.

Good point. There is more than 1actuator. However, as I understand it, if the noise is clearly coming from the passenger side dash, then it is the actuator pictured above.

If you have to bring the car there anyway, definitely have them do it. I don't need to bring my car to the dealer for anything else, plus my certified deductible is 100 dollars, so this makes more sense to me. Plus, I hate the hassle of going to the dealer.

And definitely no objections to moving this thread. I should have posted there in the first place. Thank you.

Sorry, I don't. Jack Skellington was kind enough to originally give me that link to the part.

I suggest that you call the Ebay seller in that link. I talked to them on the phone today about another part and they were extremely helpful. They're called Tasca Automotive Group, out of Cranston Rhode Island.

Tasca Automotive....Todd they are world famous for their racing efforts and one of the biggest Ford high performance dealers on the East Coast. Currently Bob Tasca III is campaigning a Shelby GT-500! Tasca Ford also helps sponsor all of John Force Racing cars. They have an outstanding reputation so I am not surprised that you are pleased with their service. @ Jack....never thought to feel the actuator thanks for the tip, will give that a try! You guys are the best. BTW, I do have to take the car in and I still have the new car warranty so there is no deductible, that's why I am letting them handle it. Thanks everyone.

Here's a photo of Tasca's Funny Car, just FYI, however, this is not the current paint scheme, it has been upgraded since I took these photos:

IMG_4438.jpg

Good point. There is more than 1actuator. However, as I understand it, if the noise is clearly coming from the passenger side dash, then it is the actuator pictured above.

If you have to bring the car there anyway, definitely have them do it. I don't need to bring my car to the dealer for anything else, plus my certified deductible is 100 dollars, so this makes more sense to me. Plus, I hate the hassle of going to the dealer.

And definitely no objections to moving this thread. I should have posted there in the first place. Thank you.

Actually you have it in the right place...my mistake, I thought Mike had made a special place for all the how-to threads...my mistake.

Have to say I had never heard of Tasca either but at the same time had never really been a Ford guy until this SHO. (nothing against Ford, just never owned one) I only found the link by accident doing a Google search.

There is a second part that makes me think it is the driver's side. I had gotten it twice before I found Tasca. The one I gave for the passenger side is YH-1779. The first two I got were YH-1769

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all the info and links. I just placed an order for one thru Ebay from Tasca.

Mine clicks at start up from the pass side (RH?) and when the recirculate button is operated. This thread seems to be for that particular actuator?

Apparently, the drivers side can be accessed from under the dash without too much difficulty.

And I've read there may be as many as 4 of these actuators:

--temperature blend door LH

--temperature blend door RH(only on dual zone?)

--Mode door actuator Defrost/Panel/Floor

--Air inlet Actuator. Fresh/Recirc <<< the part in the OPs first post?

True?

This write up I did is for the passenger side actuator in particular. The basic concept is the same for all actuators, though you just need to get at them. Passenger side seems like the easiest for sure with glovebox access. Glad the write up helped you out.

Todd

Long story short I went through the same issue with the clicking noise on the driver's side replaced that actuator clicking stopped. Then while using duel climate, the heat stopped. I took Tss's advice and repl[ATTACH=CONFIG]1954[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1955[/ATTACH]aced the actuator behind the glove box (white). Still no heat. Then on advice from another forum I removed the sensor located near the start button behind the "bacon"vent which resembles the wire sensor on an older MAF meter. It gets really gunked up with dirt and dust. I cleaned it with electronic component cleaner and its seemed to work for a couple days then heat off again. So i then replaced it, still no luck. Finally I ended up going back to the passenger's side and if you look at Tss's original photo you can see a black actuator to the LEFT of the white one. I replaced that today, Bang!! heat works on duel climate!! I will tell you it is quite a pain in the ass as it is obstructed by a vent duct. I am happy to be within driving distance of Tasca, they were very helpful to give me advice on the reinstall of the new one, and seemed sympathetic to my plight.

post-266-142532291096_thumb.jpg

post-266-142532291098_thumb.jpg

post-266-142532291096_thumb.jpg

post-266-142532291098_thumb.jpg

Thanks Nighthawk! Those photos and your posts are quite helpful. I know Tasca is in Crantson, R.I. but where are you located. I spent a little time in Rhode Island in my younger days, I had a friend who attended Roger Williams In Bristol and we used to go diving in the bay when I visited.

• 1 year later...