Ecoboost Owner Forums

"Slicks on a Brick"!*

* politically correct = Drag Radials on a Ford Flex..:tsk:

Mounted on 18" x 9" TSW Interlagos Rotoforged 18 LBS wheels. Slicks weigh around 30 lbs

IMG_4153.jpg

27" diameter 285-40-18" Nitto 050A's vs stock 29" diameter 255-45-20" Goodyear RS-A's

IMG_4164.jpg

Yea... they are wider!

IMG_4161.jpg

My custom ASA AR-2 V2 18" x 8" wheels with 255-45-18" Continental DW's (extra load) tires. They are also 27" tall.

Originally when new they weighed 48 lbs. One of the fronts had lost 3 lbs of rubber as of now... ONLY 45 lbs!

STOCK WHEELS & TIRES ARE 63lbs EACH! If I moved the used DW's to the TSW's, I would have 40lb wheels......:RpS_ohmy::RpS_ohmy:

IMG_4157.jpg

Ok... i was out driving the other day... and got to wondering... The drag radials I've run in the past have needed some heat put in them... nice big burnouts... without heating them up they simply acted like a street tire, with no extra grab... so the obvious question is how, do you plan on heating up these... ???

Ok... i was out driving the other day... and got to wondering... The drag radials I've run in the past have needed some heat put in them... nice big burnouts... without heating them up they simply acted like a street tire' date=' with no extra grab... so the obvious question is how, do you plan on heating up these... ???[/quote']

Capzasin! Will it work???? Will it Work???

Seriously, the issue is that my fronts spin long enough, with the rears hooking up immediately, such that the engine management systems shuts down, as a safety precaution to avoid damage to AWD system.

I need the softest compound/ stickiest front tire I could get in a 27" diameter. The Nitto 05R seems to be my best choice. I will attempt to do a burnout before my run(s). It helped with the Conti's... Hopefully these will work even better... Hopefully... The Conti DW's definitely get harder when cold. That alone may have been Darreli's and my issue. He too has experienced the same issue. In my case, I may also be getting greater wheel torque issues due to my smaller/much lighter tire combo. Since the rear can only handle about 150lbs, before slippage in the internal clutches... more goes forward.

Did you ever attempt to contact "Waldo" about the Taurus Control arms that may keep our Flex from lifting as much as they do?

Capzasin! Will it work???? Will it Work???

Seriously, the issue is that my fronts spin long enough, with the rears hooking up immediately, such that the engine management systems shuts down, as a safety precaution to avoid damage to AWD system.

I need the softest compound/ stickiest front tire I could get in a 27" diameter. The Nitto 05R seems to be my best choice. I will attempt to do a burnout before my run(s). It helped with the Conti's... Hopefully these will work even better... Hopefully... The Conti DW's definitely get harder when cold. That alone may have been Darreli's and my issue. He too has experienced the same issue. In my case, I may also be getting greater wheel torque issues due to my smaller/much lighter tire combo. Since the rear can only handle about 150lbs, before slippage in the internal clutches... more goes forward.

Did you ever attempt to contact "Waldo" about the Taurus Control arms that may keep our Flex from lifting as much as they do?

Just don't think you are going to be able to do a big enough burnout to really heat those Nittos up much... probably need a good 15 seconds minimum... my M&H's required a very smokey, John Force type burnout... Really looking forward to seeing if they make a difference for you. Hope they help you hook up!

No, I did not contact Waldo about the control arms... No real interest in changing them at this point... worst case I'll have Scott put the MRT SHO up on the hoist and we'll compare...

If you really want to get hard core... need to find someone that has better motor mounts... We were shocked how much the exhaust moves backwards in my videos... so there is a LOT of motor motion which means wasted energy...

To bad you can't shut off the rear diff. through a toggle switch or something. You could heat the fronts up real good, then flip the switch and go back to AWD with the fronts now good and sticky. Anyone know if this is possible?

I need to get my own copy of the service manuals for this thing.

To bad you can't shut off the rear diff. through a toggle switch or something. You could heat the fronts up real good, then flip the switch and go back to AWD with the fronts now good and sticky. Anyone know if this is possible?

I need to get my own copy of the service manuals for this thing.

When we had the Flex up on the hoist the other day I was snooping around... There is a case bolted onto the front of the rear diff... Wild guess is this is where the clutches are.... Now could you modify it??? No idea.... LOL

When we had the Flex up on the hoist the other day I was snooping around... There is a case bolted onto the front of the rear diff... Wild guess is this is where the clutches are.... Now could you modify it??? No idea.... LOL

I'm going to look at the fuse panel and see if there's something indicating AWD function. Who knows what it'd be called, but if disabling AWD makes it FWD only then maybe simply running wires from that fuse to a switch would allow one to go between FWD and AWD. Just a thought.

Archived