Ecoboost Owner Forums

Ford tumbles to second worst in Consumer Reports reliability survey

racerx78

There's been updates and I'm very use to the systems like that. .

Steph, not sure if you are talking about updates for Sync and My Ford, but I know I contacted both about mistakes in the updates in their maps, and other things I discovered. I wanted them to clarify those before I purchased $200.00 worth of updates. That was back in May, and I still have not heard anything from the Sync people or Ford. So I do not have much faith in their software or the companies that supply them. I never did purchase the update because of the failure to get any response. Anyway, as far as the Sync goes, I had no trouble getting it to work with my Motorola Droid Maxx, and my son got his iPhone 4S to connect without problems. Don't know if I'm on the same topic as you guys, since I'm really not very tech savvy.

Bob' date=' I would hold out until you find or order the car equipped like you want it, I once bought a car off the lot that didn't have the equipment I wanted, thinking it would be OK, I regretted not getting it the way I wanted the rest of the time I owned the car.[/quote']

I no longer order cars. I used to, but I got stung twice and I refuse to order. Whats more, I will not buy a car when the dealer says that he will get it for me on a dealer trade. I insist on driving the exact car that I buy, and I can't do that either by ordering or with a dealer trade.

I'll find the car equiped the way I like. I won't take less, although I may accept more.

OK, visited a couple dealers yesterday to check out the new beautiful 2013 Fusion. I'm now eating crow, as I now love the new Fusion. When the Titanium equiped with the things I want come into any of the dealers I can work with, I will probably buy one. All Titaniums come with the 2.0 Ecoboost engine. Only engine available.

Eating crow because now I better understand how Ford is equiping these cars. Just because the car has an 8" touch screen does not mean that it has the GPS Navi option. The Titanium comes with the MFT (8" screen) standard, however it does not have the GPS Navi option. That is an additional $795. BTW, Ford calls the system "Sync with MFT" before adding the GPS Navi option. As I said before, the Titaniums I looked at with the Sync w/MFT do have switches/buttons below the screen. I like that. (With my present two cars, if it came with the 8" Screen, it automaticly has the GPS Navi).

I looked at two BEAUTIFUL White 2013 Fusions yesterday, but both of them were lacking one thing I must have.

One did not have the Driver Assist Pkg (BLIS that I want, and other things I don't care about) but did have the GPS Navi.

The other did not have the GPS Navi, but does have the Driver Assist Pkg. I want both options.

Also, in looking through the brochure, I see that these cars do not have the "universal garage door opener" that is a must have, unless you opt to buy the Power Moonroof. I.E. you must buy the Power Moonroof to get the Universal Garage Door Opener. This is DUMB. Both my present cars have the Power Moonroof, and I've had problems with both, and really don't want that option again. DUMB DUMB DUMB. Universal Garage Door Opener SHOULD be standard on the Titanium.

Checked out a Fusion Titanium that was set up perfect for me with the options I want, HOWEVER, neither the salesperson or myself could get the MyFordTouch with Navi to operate correctly. Touch one function, and it would go to another function by itself. Somehow got the heated seat working and could not find out how to shut it off. Phoned a friend who has MFT who told me that my screen was not looking like his screen and there was something wrong with the MFT in this car. Next, the salesperson said that that car is going in for the MFT "update", but I thought an update was to make the system operate easier. In this case, the MFT in this car needs to be junked. Salesperson will phone me to let me know when they have installed the "update" and I'll go back to check it out. (The Sync with 8" screen on both my present cars operate so much better than the MFT with Navi).

Also will be checking out two more Titaniums just to see if their MFT with Navi operates better than the one I checked out today.

Got a call today from dealer that MFT and Navi had been updated. OK, I start the drive to dealer (100 miles away). Got 20 miles when I got a call on my cell (paired to my Sync with 8" Screen that works great) telling me that they had not in fact updated the MFT. Said that the technician who does these things has the day off, and that he will be in tomorrow and that it will be updated. Don't know if I really want to go there to check the car out tomorrow, however once I get that call, I may go there anyway. If it is not perfect, I'll tell them to take their MFT (with Navi) and --------- (well you know).

One thing I learned is that the Navi is updated with a SIM card, not downloaded to the system harddrive. I never tried the Navi yesterday, all I did was to try to touch the passenger a/c temperature off, but everything I'd touch that, the MFT would tell me to pair my phone. Also, the heated driver seat came on and while my butt was roasting, there was no way to shut the darn thing off. Everything on screen. No hard buttons or switches. DUMB DUMB DUMB.

If I do go tomorrow to check it out, and assuming that all is well, I don't know if I should buy that car. Don't know if I can trust it.

I like the car otherwise.

As Consumer Reports stated (paraphrase), MFT is a POS.

I seem to recall BMW had the same teething problems with iDrive and people not understanding how the system functions. Hell, I still barely do and several members of my family have BMW's equipped with iDrive. When I drive (not iDrive, get it? :) their cars I can't use half the features of the car! I don't know if BMW still uses iDrive (I think they do) or if they've perfected the system, but you don't hear much grumbling about it anymore.

Got a call today from dealer that MFT and Navi had been updated. OK, I start the drive to dealer (100 miles away). Got 20 miles when I got a call on my cell (paired to my Sync with 8" Screen that works great) telling me that they had not in fact updated the MFT. Said that the technician who does these things has the day off, and that he will be in tomorrow and that it will be updated. Don't know if I really want to go there to check the car out tomorrow, however once I get that call, I may go there anyway. If it is not perfect, I'll tell them to take their MFT (with Navi) and --------- (well you know).

One thing I learned is that the Navi is updated with a SIM card, not downloaded to the system harddrive. I never tried the Navi yesterday, all I did was to try to touch the passenger a/c temperature off, but everything I'd touch that, the MFT would tell me to pair my phone. Also, the heated driver seat came on and while my butt was roasting, there was no way to shut the darn thing off. Everything on screen. No hard buttons or switches. DUMB DUMB DUMB.

If I do go tomorrow to check it out, and assuming that all is well, I don't know if I should buy that car. Don't know if I can trust it.

I like the car otherwise.

As Consumer Reports stated (paraphrase), MFT is a POS.

MFT is still young especially in this market segment, so i still has some growing pains but in its current form its really good. The sad thing about the dealer calling you saying that only one person knows how to do this is sad. It shows why they couldn't figure out how to use the system. All you need to do to update the MFT is go to ford site for it download a file to a usb drive, put it in the car and start the car. The Install kicks off all on its own and doesn't require any intervention. Its harder to update your computer than it is to update MFT. When i did my update it look me 10mins of work on my part, and the MFT did the rest. Hopefully they get it done for you.

Sorry to hear. Sounds like yours in an exception' date=' not the norm. My experience has been fantastic. Enought that if my wife were to get a new car this year, it would be a Ford with MFT+SYNC instead of "x" brand.[/quote']

Ditto, but i updated my within a week of me getting the car so i didn't have much time without it updated.

I seem to recall BMW had the same teething problems with iDrive and people not understanding how the system functions. Hell' date=' I still barely do and several members of my family have BMW's equipped with iDrive. When I drive (not iDrive, get it? :) their cars I can't use half the features of the car! I don't know if BMW still uses iDrive (I think they do) or if they've perfected the system, but you don't hear much grumbling about it anymore.[/quote']

It looks like they do still use iDrive but your correct people hated it at first but as of late its much better. MFT doesn't have the hardware behind it like iDrive or systems in MB or Audi so it will not run as smoothly as those systems. If it did it would get rid of alot of peoples complaint about lagging and freezing but it be more expensive too.

If people want buttons would have a setup like Porsche has it some of its cars.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1290[/ATTACH]

post-248-142532288721_thumb.jpg

post-248-142532288721_thumb.jpg

I have updated both my 2011 Edge and 2013 SHO thru the website. Dealerships need to better job at training their staff to help customers better and have tech trained to work on MFT. I actually like the system, took me bit to get use to it, and as said in the previous post latest update has fix most of the issues.

My Tech friend at local Ford Dealership I used to work at said that earlier versions of the MFT had some issues, due to communication errors, with few modules in the system (MY KEY being one). Ford had different Company's programing different parts of the MFT system... He says Ford has since fix this by having only Microsoft write the code to the MFT.

I wish people would not hold CR at such a high level. If you've ever taken their auto survey, you know the questions and answers are very misleading. They count a 'problem' the same as someone not being satisfied with the sound of their door closing. They then take all those answers and perform statistical analysis to predict their ratings. We all know you can prove anything with statistics.

In the last few years, CR has moved from a numbers company to more of a product opinionated company. As we all know, we can visit forums and blogs to read everyone opinions. If you follow their ratings closely, you'll see that they even waiver on reporting ratings within the same model year. For instance, in 2010, the Taurus SHO was rated highest by CR in the 'would you buy that car again' category, for only a few months.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1333[/ATTACH]

Other survey's from the various companies prove ALL auto reliability is at the highest levels ever. A while back I read an article that the worst performing auto today is better than the best models from 1995, like the Lexus LS.

Take CR's ratings with a grain of salt......

post-209-142532288808_thumb.jpg

post-209-142532288808_thumb.jpg

Several of us have already made that point and are in total agreement with you. I have never really found CR's ratings to be much help, other then when you are looking to buy something that you are not knowledgeable about, so we have used CR to see what features some appliances offered, but NEVER put much stock in their auto ratings.