Ecoboost Owner Forums

Knock

Exactly. I think it's hard for a user to cause internal damage to a new engine with an automatic transmission. If the engine has been neglected for years, then banging it off the rev-limiter might be the last straw. Or, if we had 6-speed manuals and say an inadvertant downshift from 5th to 2nd at 100mph, instead of 5th to 4th, then I think it could be the driver's fault.

In your case, I'm afraid a defect snuck through and you found it. Imagine the use these engines will get in Police Interceptors and your quick fling with the rev limitter looks like a peck on the cheek!

This should be an easy warranty claim.

Exactly. I think it's hard for a user to cause internal damage to a new engine with an automatic transmission. If the engine has been neglected for years, then banging it off the rev-limiter might be the last straw. Or, if we had 6-speed manuals and say an inadvertant downshift from 5th to 2nd at 100mph, instead of 5th to 4th, then I think it could be the driver's fault.

In your case, I'm afraid a defect snuck through and you found it. Imagine the use these engines will get in Police Interceptors and your quick fling with the rev limitter looks like a peck on the cheek!

This should be an easy warranty claim.

Well it was the use as the interceptor that made me get one. So the dealer said the engine is done. The #6 cylinder is blown. They are waiting for ford to tell them what to do. Why is there even a wait and see approach, it has 712 miles and I have had the car for about 10 days. I don't want them to repair it, I want a new engine, they said there was metal in the oil. That leads me to think there is now metal in the rest of the motor and the turbos.

Can you elaborate on how exactly you bounced off the rev limiter? No matter what i do the auto tranny shifts for me. unless you had it in neutral for some reason' date=' not sure how you did what you did.[/quote']

Nailed it, it dropped into 1st hit the rev limiter(tach turned red) then shifted to 2nd. That part gets me as well, at first I thought it may have been the change in tire size but the shift is RPM dependent not MPH.

Very true GP, the dealer has no legal obligation to do anything for you. And can send you packing. No that said, do either of these isn't good for business.

Your situation is very unfortunate and I would feel exactly the same way.

But things like this do happen to every car made. I know this doesn't change how you feel about it, nor would it do it for me either.

Perhaps you could discuss with dealer trading it in on a new car, I know you lose money by doing this, but sometimes piece of mind costs extra some times. Not say I would do this either but it's something I would explore.

Good luck

The dealer has been fine, it's not really up to them at this point. The car doesn't qualify for the lemon law yet. It's been 15 days in the shop so far. By the time I get it back it will be 21-25 days. 30 days in 1 year qualifies it as a lemon. If it all comes out fine in the end that will be good. However, I do want some kind of restitution, like maybe cover the first months payment, a free maintance plan, something. I'm worried about putting a tune in the car when I get it back.

And who said I'm being a jerk? I've been very cooperative but I am certainly not going to kiss their asses either. And yes they are legally obligated to fix the car and New York has a pretty good lemon law policy and vehicle owners rights system.

I tried to get a car replaced under the Lemon Law once, and it was more of a hassle then it was worth, plus they get to deduct mileage and any other defect they might find on the car. However, in your case since you have less then 800 miles on the car, it might be worth the attempt. However, maybe the new engine will be wonderful and you will be problem free. Good luck. BTW, a couple of others here have worked with Ford when they got lemons and ended up getting new cars without the hassle of the Lemon Law. Anyway, you go, I hope everything works out for you without a lot of headaches.

I'm no expert, but I doubt it. If the converter is locked up, the car would stall when coming to a stop. Inside a lock up converter there is a series of clutch disc's. these function just like the clutch on a manual trans. And make automatic transmission more efficient. Where in the past old cars the converter would slip all the time. No if it couldn't lock up I could see a possibility of over reving

I'm no expert' date=' but I doubt it. If the converter is locked up, the car would stall when coming to a stop. Inside a lock up converter there is a series of clutch disc's. these function just like the clutch on a manual trans. And make automatic transmission more efficient. Where in the past old cars the converter would slip all the time. No if it couldn't lock up I could see a possibility of over reving[/quote']

Sorta true but not completely. Lock up converts can and do get stuck in lockup mode (usually the fault of the TCC solenoid), but.... because of internal valve body programming, etc. a fail safe device prevents the converter from being able to remain locked when dropping down into first gear, to prevent such stalling. With that said however, there have been very very rare occassions that some bit of dirt/debris has found its way into a passage that kills the above mentioned fail safe procedure. But, very rare!

As for the locked converter causeing an over rev....Hmmm very remotely possible, depending on what was happening with pressures and fluid passages in the tranny at the time. It may have been temporarilly prevented from up shifting causing such an over rev. When the converter locks a lot more fluid and pressure is dedicated to maintaining a good TCC lock.

Not a series of clutches, but rather just one. The only multi disc converters out there are dedicated for racing purposes.

Regardless of possible lock-up torque converter issues, I don't know why the rev limiter didn't prevent catastrophic failure - unless there was an engine problem to begin with. As others have noted, I think you found an engine problem that was going to occur at some point.

On several occasions, when using the paddles, I have had the rev limiter kick in and no harm was done. I no longer use the paddles for maximum acceleration because I don't like the feel of the engine falling on its face when the rev limiter kicks in. Besides, with the tune, automatic shifts are spot-on, anyway.