2013 Taurus SHO with PP - Spare Tire Question

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 sweetair

sweetair

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

Can't thank you enough. Just want to know if the styrofoam piece and the top piece/cover will swap easily into the SHO and fit well. Have a great day.

It's raining here currently but will try to test fit it tomorrow or Friday and will post the results.

#22 sweetair

sweetair

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

For those crazy enough to want a spare, and a full size one at that, I found what seems to be a decent price from a place in Detroit

www.detroitwheelandtire.com

Their story is that they are swapping out the original rims with dealers there for a different set of Ford rims that they can get. Who knows? Their price was $100 less for the rim vs the next best deal I could find, and half the cost that my contact at Ford was willing to part with one for.

So..............I am "in" on trying to get a full size spare in this trunk. Now I just need to figure out this police interceptor trunk piece(s) issue on fitment.

Just wanted to pass some info along. That is what makes sites like this one so valuable.

#23 Boggus

Boggus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

Again, bad pictures due to lighting. It's about 10pm and I was getting ready to get off duty. Couple of quick bad shots. I placed this panel in my trunk over the normal panel. It covers the dip completely and makes the trunk flat. Now you will need some support under this panel to keep it solid. If it were for me, I would measure the spare you want to use with the tire mounted then I can measure the foam support to see if it will fit in it.

So, you will probably need the foam support and the panel to do it right and make it solid.

Posted Image[/url]

Posted Image[/url]

#24 Jmr061

Jmr061

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

I work Sunday night. I use a '13 PI Sedan and will take one of my 20" F1 summer tires with and transfer it all to the trunk of my SHO and see what fits and what doesn't I'll take some pics too. That is unless someone beats me to it. Jason PS - The PI Sedan has a full size 18" spare in the trunk. I'm sure you all probably know that but just in case.

#25 sweetair

sweetair

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

I would love to know if a 20" tire off ur Taurus fits in the foam piece. I am planning and hoping this will work. Post up when you find out. Thanks.
Bill

I work Sunday night. I use a '13 PI Sedan and will take one of my 20" F1 summer tires with and transfer it all to the trunk of my SHO and see what fits and what doesn't I'll take some pics too. That is unless someone beats me to it.

Jason

PS - The PI Sedan has a full size 18" spare in the trunk. I'm sure you all probably know that but just in case.

#26 Jmr061

Jmr061

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

Ok I went and did the swap. All the parts from the PI fit into the SHO except I found the plastic cover that covers everything for the PI didn't fit so well in my SHO. The length was off a little (it was long) and I didn't want to force it in but I suspect it would fit. So the 18 inch full size spare fit perfect. I did shove a 20 inch wheel in and it is an extremely tight fit. The hold down didn't come up high enough to secure it but the pure force of wedging it in holds it just fine. I took a bunch of pics and will post them when I get more time. BTW sure lose a lot of depth in the trunk. Jason

#27 Jmr061

Jmr061

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:20 AM

Following four pics are of the SHO and removing everything. The first pic is actually with the cover from the PI Sedan in it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]1907[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1908[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1909[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1910[/ATTACH] The following are of the PI Sedan and I tossed the 20 inch F1 in there for good measure. Tight fit and the hold down wasn't high enough to go through the center of the rim. [ATTACH=CONFIG]1911[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1912[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1913[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1914[/ATTACH] Then I put it all in the SHO. The 18 inch tire from the PI fit like a glove. The 20 inch tire was super snug and I didn't force it in all the way (didn't want to get it stuck). When I put the cover on from the PI it didn't fit well either. It was too long and I didn't want to force it either. [ATTACH=CONFIG]1915[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1916[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1917[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1918[/ATTACH] Jason

Attached Files

#28 SHOdded

SHOdded

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:47 AM

^ Thank you for doing this, Jason :)

#29 Boggus

Boggus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

The PI cover will fit but as mentioned earlier it is a tight fight. So it looks like if you want a full size spare, find a wrecked PI sedan or order the parts.

#30 sweetair

sweetair

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Thanks jmr061 and Boggus for all your efforts, pics and write-up. I have the trunk guts coming from a wrecked PI. I will see what other modifications I might need to do to shim/shave/trim to make a full size spare fit and function well. The best part is that once I do this I am pretty much guaranteeing that I will never need it. lol

#31 lhasha

lhasha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

Greetings:

Perhaps you have some idea, as you seem to have some insight into the police tires for the Taurus; I have a 2013 Ford Taurus, Limited Sedan 4D which came with 19" tires (255/45R19) on alloy rims (19" x 8.5" Type 2 Painted, Ford OEM: DG1Z1007E). We had a bad experience with the emergency donut tire and wheel (17" x 4" Spare Wheel and Tire, Ford OEM: 3570) and have decided to purchase an additional original rim and another 255/45R19 tire. As expected, the new 'spare' tire fits snug in the tire well however, due to the difference in the thickness between the tires, the new tire extends above the floor trunk compartment floor leaving it impossible to put the spare tire cover flat in place. Further, for the same reason, the current spare tire hold down J hook is too short and cannot be fastened.

I have read in various places that a police cruiser version of our car indeed has an elevated stowage box assembly. I did isolate what I suspect has been discussed (Ford PART: 31148, Trunk Compartment Trim; SUB-PART: 17009, Box Asy - Stowage Police Version) however I have no idea if this is what I need. Also, there was some discussion of an easier and less expensive Aftermarket riser alternative but I have had no luck finding one.

I found this language in a ford pdf re police units, "Super-capacity trunk. A wealth of low-liftover room stows equipment out of sight. Pull up the flat load floor for the standard full-size spare stationed inside. It’s identical to the other 4 wheels and comes ready-to-roll with a TPMS sensor. A custom-fit electronics tray is available, and so is an auto-running circulation fan to keep conditions temperate for devices in the trunk."

Otherwise, I am about to have a custom rigid foam 'riser' cut - can do for $200.

Please, if you have any insight into this issue or know of a fix, I would be grateful to hear back.

Regards

#32 DaveE

DaveE

• Limited Admin
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:49 PM

Sorry, can't help you there but I would love to see the custom riser if you do it. 

OF5xTsk.jpg

Livernois 93v5  12.91 @ 106.48

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users