Ecoboost Owner Forums

Mustang gets Ecoboost in US 2015

A 3.5 ecoboost in a Mustang would make the V8 5.0 useless and offend the believers/defenders of the coyote engine... Beside the nice sound of it, I believs the ecoboost 3.5 would be as fast if not faster, more economic, lighter and therefore offering a better ride (handling and feeling). But a 5.0 ecoboost twin turbo would make a nice Shelby if that was possible...

I wouldn't say that...keep in mind that the vast majority of 3.5 ecoboost engines go into the F-150, there isn't much left to go around to other Ford products. Not to mention NOT offering a V8 Mustang would be downright stupid to Mustang traditionalists. The ecoboost I4 would appeal to younger buyers who've owned Japanese compacts and would help off set costs of developing this engine for the EU and even China.

It's good to have choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The BMW tt V8 in the 2013 M5 puts out 550/500 with a 7200rpm redline. I saw one at the DC auto show this year and it is NICE (better be for the price). I had an M3 and I am a huge fan of the older ///M cars, back before corporate stepped in and started making ///M SUVs and stuff. I'm sure we've all seen the article where the new M3 goes up against the Boss 302...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2263[/ATTACH]

post-772-142532292172_thumb.jpg

post-772-142532292172_thumb.jpg

The M5 engine kinda reminds me of the 4.4L V8 Yamaha-built engine (for Volvo) that starts around 315hp naturally aspirated, but has been raised to 650hp (Noble) with twin turbos. However, the Ecoboost 3.5L seems to hold its own pretty well even against the M5 for all "practical" purposes. Don't think anyone's putting the SHO out on the salt flats any time soon ...

I'd definitely take the ecoboost over a BMW tt when it comes to balancing performance and practicality' date=' even though those high-RPM BMW engines are music to my ears.[/quote']

We have both. The twin turbo 3.0 in our 2008 535xi wagon is rated at just 300 hp and 300 ft-lbs, but it's widely considered to be closer to 340hp from the factory. The torque curve is a horizontal line managed by software. Just like Ford, BMW left lots on the table with their engine. Weight and 0-60 are very comparable, and real-world performance is likewise very similar, at least to my butt.

The older M-series engines would wind way up, the twin-turbos run more like older small-block V8s... lots of low end twist but they don't do 7000 rpms.

I think Ecoboost and tt BMW engines are remarkably comparable, and I think that's a compliment to Ford. Actually, many of the BMW 335 and 535s, including ours, have suffered repeated high-pressure fuel pump failures. So Ford likely gets the nod for quality control.

I can see the rationale for the smaller EB in the Mustang... the 3.5 would step on the 5.0 and really confuse their traditional buyers... but Ford needs to find a new generation of Mustang buyers as the folks raised on 289s and 5.0s aren't getting any younger!

I raced a 500 hp BMW and lost before I went mod crazy. Think it was the M5? I thought the guy said it was an NA V8 though, he ran like 12.7 in an SUV. Pretty impressive. Know a guy at work with the TT V6 which is why I thought they all were. It is stout, nothing like my SHO but he is still stock.

I think the new GM engine and the BMW engines just go to show this is the way things are headed. I think Ford has taken the lead as an industry leader. Next few years will be interesting to watch.

Ford has stepped its game up enough to earn my business after many years of basically ignoring the domestic car market. The guys I work with drive a variety of performance-oriented imports ('Hyundai Genesis 2.0t, Subaru WRX STi, BMW M3, etc) and their reactions have all been the same when I take them for a spin in the SHO, they are all VERY impressed on all fronts. If Ford continues down the path they're on, and my '13 SHO continues to treat me as good as it has so far, I'll be driving Fords for many years to come. However, when the time comes to pick up a weekend/fun car it will probably be another E36 M3 coupe...unless Ford drops the 3.5L ecoboost into the Mustang.

:RpS_thumbsup: How long have you had it? Your experiences with it? Pics? Used to drive an '84 L4 (non SVO) manual a long time ago. Fun even in that trim.

I have had the SVO for 18 months. Lucky to find one in my area and clean as can be for its age. It drives well for its era of build. I had a few foxes in my time with V8s and this is by far more superior than any others. It even has a premium fuel switch than you can flip to "swap tunes" pre-programmed into the ECU. It raises boost, timing. The turbo pull is quite amazing for a 3000lb straight axle car (the lightest of all fox hatches). Not to mention the 4 wheel disc and 5 lug wheels were all unheard of until the 93 cobra. It has simplistic yet amazing technology and equipment for an 80s pony car that carried a hefty price tag in its time then and even now. I have a spare engine to build for my Miata project. Yup, 2.3L turbo roadster. Decided that over a 5.0 monster miata

I have had the SVO for 18 months. Lucky to find one in my area and clean as can be for its age. It drives well for its era of build. I had a few foxes in my time with V8s and this is by far more superior than any others. It even has a premium fuel switch than you can flip to "swap tunes" pre-programmed into the ECU. It raises boost' date=' timing. The turbo pull is quite amazing for a 3000lb straight axle car (the lightest of all fox hatches). Not to mention the 4 wheel disc and 5 lug wheels were all unheard of until the 93 cobra. It has simplistic yet amazing technology and equipment for an 80s pony car that carried a hefty price tag in its time then and even now. I have a spare engine to build for my Miata project. Yup, 2.3L turbo roadster. Decided that over a 5.0 monster miata[/quote']

If I was to get a 80s Mustang, it would be a 1985/86 SVO....

• 1 month later...
Well here's my dyno sheet from my little 2.0 EB.

Blue - Stock tune

RED - 93 Octane tune

IMG_0047.jpg

Very Interesting chart, SCRMING. Engine definitely seems like a torque monster, especially with the tune,

but runs out of breath at 5000. Kinda strange that it only gained 2.6 max HP.

Wonder what could be done to help the breathing up top...

Brian S.

2010 CinnaSHO

The M5 engine kinda reminds me of the 4.4L V8 Yamaha-built engine (for Volvo) that starts around 315hp naturally aspirated, but has been raised to 650hp (Noble) with twin turbos. However, the Ecoboost 3.5L seems to hold its own pretty well even against the M5 for all "practical" purposes. Don't think anyone's putting the SHO out on the salt flats any time soon ...
No but we are going run at airport runway how fast can you go. http://www.wannagofast.com/clayton.php

Looking forward to your experience/results at that event. Make sure your brakes are ready to stop you just as quickly as you will get to those insane speeds :)