Ecoboost Owner Forums

Replacing brakes

2010 SHO with 49K miles and almost no brake pads left on the rear. Time to change them.

I hear everyone talk about EBC slotted rotors and EBC pads. They sound pretty good, but pricey. I am not concerned with being a NASCAR driver around town, so I think I have pinpointed my selection. Centric rotors on Amazon comes to $208.38 with free shipping.

I like the EBC pads, but I read that they don't have the holes for the springs. I am seriously considering Hawk pads, plus they seem to be a little less coin. Hawk Pads for the front and rear come to $177.90.

So we are talking under $400 for completely new pads and rotors all the way around. About half the price of using EBC rotors and pads.

I am open to any comments or opinions.

I really like EBC rotors and they do make rotors for our cars that are not slotted and/or dimpled that are much less expensive. But I believe you can get EBC sport slotted rotors for like $237.00 for the pair for the rear. Also they have plain rotors for about $140.00 per pair (prices from their website). Here is the website: http://ebcrotors.com/p-222-ebc-stock-replacement-rotors.aspx?submodel=SHO&submodel2=&submodel3= You can check them out yourself, I have not looked to see if they are less expensive from another website. I know that I have always had very good success with EBC rotors, so I really believe they are worth the additional cost. The Centric rotors you mention..is that for a pair or for all 4 rotors?

Good find from the sounds of it. :thumb:

But, at least for me, I'm no NASCAR driver, but there are times when I've found myself inevitably pushing the limits of the car, and have had to slow rapidly.

Just a comforting feeling knowing that there's a degree of confidence when mashing the brakes, that this big pig of a car will actually stop.

Anything's better than the stock set up (at least as it pertains to the '10-'12 models that is).

So to that end, when they arrive, be sure to post up some pics (unmounted/mounted) and report back your experiences.

Mike :yo:

• 2 weeks later...

Got everything installed on Friday. I picked up the caliper "rewind" tool from Habor Frieght for $40 and it made things alot easier. So far, I am impressed with the Hawk Pads. The Centric rotors seem like a quality item as well. Definately more stopping power than OEM. I will try to get some pictures of the differences between stock and Hawk pads. Totally different shape.

• 4 weeks later...

Busy memorial weekend, my guy finally got around to getting brakes & calipher covers done. Put on EBC Phase4 slotted caliphers w/ MGP calipher covers. The only problem is the spokes of the 2010 wheels are very wide so they do a good job of hiding the covers. Next step may to get the calipher hubs painted red. Saw over the weekend @ a big car show & liked it a lot. So far lots of dirt but that's to be expected. Will be attending big Ford show in town this weekend, mostly ponies but there will be atleast 1 SHO.

MikeV

I have heard of them and they do make a performance pad...not sure about their rotors. But I have not had any personal experience with Akebono. The two performance brakes I have personal knowledge of are PowerSlot (experience was not good and I would not purchase these again) and EBC (experience was very positive and I plan on putting both their rotors and pads on the SHO when needed).

Pads only, their ceramics. They are certainly low dust and low noise, but soso for stopping power. Mine were recommended to me by my pro shop as well. I took 'em off and replaced them with Performance Friction pads, work very well, but they do dust and are relatively hard to find. EBC has worked well for a lot of members here. Their pad/rotor packages can be found reasonably priced, though you COULD go cheaper.

Ha guys/gals I have come up with a real nice deal. My servise manger let me down this road. But for $410.00 AutoAnything.com has a complete POWERSTOP kit of drill/slotted fwr/rwd rotors and (ceramic)pads and clips.plus a discount 10%code with AutoAnything plus $40.00 Powerstop mail-in rebate TOTAL END PRICE $329.00 I will do a full thread.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y486/shoman04/107_0021_zps5560e116.jpg

The cost for rotors ($177.90) is for all 4 rotors....shipped. From Amazon.com
Ha guys/gals I have come up with a real nice deal. My servise manger let me down this road. But for $410.00 AutoAnything.com has a complete POWERSTOP kit of drill/slotted fwr/rwd rotors and (ceramic)pads and clips.plus a discount 10%code with AutoAnything plus $40.00 Powerstop mail-in rebate TOTAL END PRICE $329.00 I will do a full thread.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5560e116.jpg

Rotors look sharp, but as far as pads, I am not a fan of ceramic...in my experience they almost always end up tearing up the rotor. Yes, the have a lifetime warranty but that's only because they are so darn hard that the are very hard on the rotors. I will not use ceramic, not only are they hard but I have never been impressed with their stopping ability...