Ecoboost Owner Forums

Changed RDU fluid today

Just thought I would post some pics

Here are some DIY 2"x12" car ramps I made.

Found these over @ evolutionm forum

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-general/501612-made-my-own-car-ramps-about-40-a.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2312[/ATTACH]

I used a Hydro-Turf oil extractor and a quart fluid pump both found on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Turf-Oil-Extractor-OIL01/dp/B000GU0MMU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2313[/ATTACH]

Pic of RDU fill plug....I used a 3/8 drive ratchet to remove it. The hole is pretty shallow, so the ratchet will not go completely in. Anyone know why that exhaust hangar is there?

There is not a bracket on the pipe below it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2314[/ATTACH]

Drain plug before cleaning, and after. Some metal filings, but nothing to worry about

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2316[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2315[/ATTACH]

I couldn't completely warm up the fluid for easier extraction, I didn't want to deal with a hot exhaust while under the car. It was moving very slowly through the tube.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2317[/ATTACH]

I got out as much as I could, about 32 ounces by weight.

The fluid was pretty nasty. It was the consistency of syrup, maybe a little thicker

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2318[/ATTACH]

Here is a side by side of old fomoco "lifetime" fluid and new redline 75-w90

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2319[/ATTACH]

Wasn't that hard of a job, the pump just took awhile because of the thickness of the fluid.

While I was waiting, I also changed the spark plugs to the new updated part number

CYFS-12Y-3. Probably going to do the PTU fluid next week.

post-1319-142532296491_thumb.jpg

post-1319-142532296495_thumb.jpg

post-1319-142532296499_thumb.jpg

post-1319-142532296503_thumb.jpg

post-1319-142532296507_thumb.jpg

post-1319-142532296511_thumb.jpg

post-1319-142532296514_thumb.jpg

post-1319-142532296518_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the writeup! How many miles did you say you have on your car? Seems like every time someone has taken a look at the fluid in these AWDs, front or back, it is GUNKY and there is a need for regular (preventive) oil changes. Maybe Ford did not want it to seem too tough to maintain? I am used to the 2 year/24-30K mile suggestions for coolant/trans fluid anyway, a couple more oils to swap out doesn't hurt.

I think I may add this to the list of the official "how-to's" if that's acceptable?

Seems thorough enough as it sits, but if you want to go back and edit, and/or include additional instructions, then cool! :thumb:

Nice job btw, I'm sure plenty of people here will appreciate your efforts.

Rep points headed your way and lemme know on the "how-to" inclusion.

Mike :yo:

Time' date=' but not a lot of mileage. Definitely seems like a candidate for regular maintenance![/quote']

Exactly, this car is still pretty new to me (2 months). But the previous owner kept detailed service records of everything.

Bpd1151, thx for the kind words. I went back and cleaned up my op a little bit, added a couple more details.

If I think of anything else I'll try to edit ASAP.