Ecoboost Owner Forums

TAIL LIGHT CHROME

• 4 months later...

anthony:

i have extended warrant was covered under 36k bumper to bumper, not now covered since they consider it a trim item even with extended warranty. i had my replaced right at the 3 yr point. if it goes again i'm doing what dave did, it's a waste of money to replace something that ford just couldn't get right.

I have Dave's old set, that I'm still working on figuring out how to replace the chrome with something that looks good. I've tried chrome tape on one, but the curves are to severe for the tape to make without getting wrinkles or requiring several cuts to make the curve. May try again just to see what I can come up with. I am thinking of painting with silver as it would mach all the other silver accents on my car, but that won't be good for everyone. This has been a slow process trying to come up with ideas and getting them attempted...will update if I make any progress with this.

I'm speaking from experience on this topic. My chrome tail lights were replaced at 29K and now I'm at 64K on my '12. I talked to every idiot at Ford customer service, online and on the phone and the best offer they could/would give me is $150 deductible on a new set of chrome or non-chrome tails. Even after I argued that there is no way those tail lights cost them $50 in total to begin with and that they were still making $100 for a piss-poor design/supplier process. Anyway, after talking to my salesman about going to check out the Chrysler minivans (true story) because of this peeling chrome problem for my wife's replacement lease, they found the money is some district goodwill slush fund to get my tails replaced, in chrome, for nothing out of pocket. Side note: I did notice that these replacement tails are only painted chrome on the flat face surface facing out. The edge and top/bottom of the edges are not painted chrome. Leads me to believe that the supplier providing the tail lights now has changed the process. I just hope they don't peel again. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

I I have refinished several sets with paint and they are holding up much better.  They are not chrome but the silver matches the silver of the stock wheels and the silver in the grill.  Personally I would not get another set of chrome.  Although I found a new paint that may product a closer to chrome look, but I need a set of tails to work on, as I have given the last set I had to another SHO owner. I have repaired peeling chrome tails for no cost, other than getting the tails to me.