Ecoboost Owner Forums

Torque PIDs for Taurus

Haven't posted here in a long time but no time like the present. Hope this is helpful. It is my research reposted here to help:

I finally spent some time this weekend trying out an idea I had and I believe it is working so far. I am reverse engineering a few of the PIDs with a serial protocol analyzer and a scan tool that requests the information. I basically request a parameter one PID at a time and capture the response from the car which includes the original PID and the value. As such I am fairly confident in the PID however the "math" part of the equation is more challenging. Here is what I have confirmed so far...

*Disclaimer - these are for a 2011...I believe them to be the same for other cars but you should verify they work before you go driving around. As always do not tweak these while moving. ;)

2011 Taurus pids

Gear Ratio

PID 221E19

Torque equation: ((A*256)+B) / 4096

1st 4.484

2nd 2.872

3rd 1.842

4th 1.414

5th 1.000

6th 0.742

Reverse -2.882 (not sure Reverse really works yet but it shows "0")

Fuel Pump pressure "desired" (This probably isn't terribly interesting until you compare it against measured fuel pressure (which is already available in Torque).

Most of us won't have an issue with this unless you are running Ethanol blends and are worried about running out of pump capacity. I'm venturing a large discrepancy between Desired and Measured would be "bad".

2203dc

torque Equation ((256*A)+B)*10*.145 readout in PSI.

Cylinder Head Temp - I am convinced this just replicates Engine Coolant Temperature. I don't believe this is actually Cylinder Head temperature...I will leave it here for reference.

PID 22F405

Torque Equation (A-40)*1.8+32 for deg. F

Intercooler (CAC) - I believe this equation is fairly accurate at this point but it was "Interpreted" so it may be off a tiny bit. This sensor is right before the throttle body and after the intercooler. It is also a stock 3 BAR pressure sensor.

Charge Air Cooler PID 220461

Torque Equation ((((256*A)+B)*.011404134)+9.26087)*1.8+32

IAT2 This sensor is on top of the intake manifold and is also a pressure sensor. This is the sensor that many people are swapping out for a "3 Bar".

PID 2203CA

Torque Equation (A-40)*1.8+32 in Deg. F

Trans Gear

PID 221e23

70 indicates "Park"

60 Indicates "R"

50 Indicates "N"

46 Indicates "D"

10 Indicates "M"

Waste Gate %

PID 220462

Equation A/128*100

AWD module PWM Modulation of rear clutch %

Returns a number that indicates how much the rear clutch is being directed to lock up and thus send power rearward.

PID 22D128

Formula A/256*100

Still investigating the following PIDS. The PIDS are correct but the Formulas need work.

Knock - Note that I am convinced this will get you knock measured in 1/2 degree increments. I haven't totally figured it out but am comfortable at this point that it will get the "big" number right...i.e. 1,2,3,4 degrees of knock...and that's the important part.

PID 2203EC

Torque Equation Signed (A)/2

Torque Control Requested (Used during shifting to reduce torque...aka torque management.)

2203AF returns 0 with car off...Seems to return % Torque reduction number or maybe timing # being pulled?

Misfire Monitor

PID 220700

Tire pressures:

The PIDs are 224140 and 224141. They return a decimal value that gets divided by 3 and that gives you the pressure in KPA. At least I think...I am trying to verify all this. The challenge is two fold. First my scan tool pretends it knows which tire is the "front left" etc...well that is great until you rotate them a few dozen times...then they don't match up so it's made correlating the values challenging. The next issue is that I have to figure out which variable in the formula to use for individual tires.

Assuming Torque can read the MSCAN bus and you are using an adapter such as the MX that can physically access that bus this may work. I am trying different formulas however currently I am using (((256*A)+b)/3)*.145 and (((256*C)+D)/3)*.145 . That results in values in PSI.

Adding a single PID:

Add a custom PID in Torque by going to the "Settings" section off the main screen.

Enter the following for the fields it prompts you for:

"OBD2 Mode and PID" = 221E1C

"Long Name" = Trans Temp

"Short Name" = Trans T

"Minimum Value" = -40

"Maximum Value" = 260

"Scale Factor" = 1

"Unit Type" = deg

"Equation" = (((signed(A)*256)+B)*(9/8)+320)/10

Leave the OBD Header blank

Adding gauges to your Torque Screen:

Go to the Realtime Information display from the main menu and then find a place on the screen you’d like to put your new gauge. Long press and then “Add Display”. Pick a gauge type and then scroll to find your new PIDs. Position it on the screen and then repeat the whole process until your gauges are all populated on the screen.

"Liked" (it).......

Thanks so much for the tech info you've provided. Although I myself don't use Torque App's, I still find it very interesting to see what equations, formulations, etc. go into various monitoring functions available to those who do use that app.

Thanks once again.