Ecoboost Owner Forums

LMS Tuning Questions

Skibbidy

I have a 2014 PP SHO and have been wanting to tune but have held it off for awhile. Now that I've had the vehicle over a year I am ready to take the next step. However, I have some questions to help me understand the tuning process a little more.

I see many people reference what are called "stages" Are these simply just more extreme tunes? The higher the stage the more performance you can expect? That being said on LMS website when you buy a tune they state that they highly recommend their thermostat and plugs as well. I am trying to spend as little as possible for my first car upgrade, and then later look at getting CAI, Downpipe, Cat Back Exhuast etc. But I am wanting to know if there are others out there that have the tune without the thermostat and plugs, and if so what stage. Also for those of you that have the thermostat and plugs what stage are you running?

Where I am at I can get 87,89,93 octane at pretty much every gas station I go to. Would I be safe running a 93 octane tune with no other upgrades? Or is it a situation where I most definitely want to get the plugs and the thermostat if I am running a 93 octane tune?

Thanks for the help everyone.

I don't think the stages apply to your 2014. I think they base tunes for your car on the octane you have. I recommend going for the 93 since you have it available. The various stages mentioned on the website are for 2010-2012 models. The recommended plugs are Motorcraft sp534s gapped at .030. I think your 2014 came with the correct plugs but they may be gapped at .035. If the car has low miles, you could just pull them and re-gap them. New plugs are only around $4 at O'reilly auto parts. I ran stock plugs in my 2010 with LMS's stage 4+ tune and got along fine. I did ultimately change to the sp534s, though and I am glad I did.

I run the stock 180 degree thermostat with their most aggressive tune and have no intention of changing it. Many others change to the 160 degree thermostat since cooler running engines are less likely to have detonation issues. I monitor engine parameters with an Aeroforce gauge and am comfortable running the 180 stat for my daily driver. If I was drag racing or if I made a habit of running the car really hard, I might go with the cooler stat.

Thanks for the information Bruce. I think I may have pulled the trigger a little too quick. I made a purchase this morning and then saw this post when I got home later today. I purchased the Tuner, Plugs, Thermostat, CAI all from Livernois. From those 4 items should I expect a pretty noticeable difference in my vehicles performance? One main issue I have with the SHO is that I feel like in Sport mode it shifts too soon automatically. What will happen a lot now is that the car will shift automatically right before I upshift so I often go from 1st gear to 3rd gear. I am hoping with the tune it will help in this area as it is very annoying having that issue. Ford seems to have it programmed to have it automatically shift about 1k rpm's before the redline.

All that you (as the end user) has to do is indicate to us what level octane that you would like us to tune for. We will on our end look at the list of modifications that you have made and select the correct "level" of tuning for your specific model. We will only provide a tune that is safe for your level of modifications.

JAIMIE

313-561-5500

2GForumBanner3_zps1f816b7b.jpg

jaimie:

Well my eco buds including bruce have convinced me that i might as well tune my '10 sho & would not consider any company but yours for doing it. besides want to get her ready to go to chicago next year for the convention. it will be after the first of year when i'll have some loose change. i'm not technical at all but the guys have convinced me that i could do it with your company's help. i could take it to a local shop & have them do your tune but want to be able to do it myself, if have to take it back to dealer would want to take back to standard then reload tune.i've looked at the 2 choices of tuner & really like the mycal as it looks easier for a novice. plus like some of the other features, although already have a gauge pod with boost gauge. my question is should i go through your website or pm you or how should i go about letting LME know what my sho already has on it & what tune that i'm looking for. I'm in sales myself so would want to do the way that you would get credit for.

ps:

will be getting a 3 bar map sensor as well & assume from everybody says want to run the 4+ for 93 octane.

thanks

mikev

Mike, just FYI, I was scared to death about doing the tuning, but LME made it easy, they even loaded the tunes into the MyCal before they sent it to me, because they had my code. Since you don't know your code, you will have to use the MyCal to get it, but honestly, Livernois will help walk you through all the steps to get it tuned. Besides, if I can do it successfully I have no doubt that you will be able to do it! I can't wait to hear your thoughts after you get the tune and a few miles driving with it.....

Mval, I taliked to Jaimie over the phone and he got my tuning package ordered. Cold air intake, thermostat, plugs and the tune. I just got everything in the mail today so I have to installing everything. Jaimie recommended I wait to install the thermostat until after the tuning process is done though to prevent from getting a CEL. Jaimie also told me they don't receive commission but that positive comments and reviews help them out, though I will let Jaimie answer that for himself.

mark:

Got to wait till after 1st, got a bonus check coming that burning a hole in my pocket, going to check & find the 3 bar map in next couple of days.just to make sure . I know you and the rest of the guys really like LME & that means a lot to me. all i know about a tune is the SOP trials is that when my friend did it the the chall, instead of us being real close & maybe the sho with the dp's being a hair faster. that things changed a lot.

& skid thanks for telling me to just call them. since i'm in sales i like talking to people anyway.

have a good christmas guys.

Hopefully I didn't mess anything up to bad tonight. When you plug the tuner in you have to hold two buttons down BEFORE you plug it in. I accidently did it after and it deleted a dtc code I believe, whatever that is. Then I unplugged it, held the buttons while I plugged it in and was able to enter engineering mode, I went to get the engine codes and it then asked me to turn the key to the on position. My vehicle was already in accessory mode and I don't have a key to turn either. SO at this point I am stuck, I have a CEL, haven't tried driving my vehicle bit hoping it is safe to go to work in the morning, and crossing my fingers I can get in touch with LME tomorrow and get this fixed. Unfortunately I work 11 hours tomorrow so not sure how this wI'll work out, any body have a recommendation?

You don't want accessory mode - you want ignition ON when prompted. Do not start the car! With your foot OFF the brake, hold the start button until the gauges sweep - maybe 5-10 seconds or so.

Accessory mode is just pressing the button briefly with your foot off the brake. IGNITION ON mode requires holding the button longer. The gauge sweep will confirm you have it.

Okay interesting. The paper they sent with the tuner said to start in accessory mode. So the fact that I accidentally reset some type of dtc code and now have a CEL does this mean I shouldn't drive mt vehicle or do you think it is safe? Also once prompted I will hold the start button with my foot off the brake, wait for gauges to sweep, and then hopefully I will get the code I need to send to lme?

UPDATE: So I decided to try again this morning. Started the vehicle in accessory mode, held the two buttons while I plugged the device in, and I was able to scroll down and get the start code and information this time. It didn't prompt me to follow any instructions at all. It just kind of prepopulated for me. So now the information has been sent to livernois and I am awaiting their response. I plan on doing the windstorm Cai aND pre gapped plugs Saturday, then hopefully the thermostat sometime very soon as well

jaimie:

Well my eco buds including bruce have convinced me that i might as well tune my '10 sho & would not consider any company but yours for doing it. besides want to get her ready to go to chicago next year for the convention. it will be after the first of year when i'll have some loose change. i'm not technical at all but the guys have convinced me that i could do it with your company's help. i could take it to a local shop & have them do your tune but want to be able to do it myself, if have to take it back to dealer would want to take back to standard then reload tune.i've looked at the 2 choices of tuner & really like the mycal as it looks easier for a novice. plus like some of the other features, although already have a gauge pod with boost gauge. my question is should i go through your website or pm you or how should i go about letting LME know what my sho already has on it & what tune that i'm looking for. I'm in sales myself so would want to do the way that you would get credit for.

ps:

will be getting a 3 bar map sensor as well & assume from everybody says want to run the 4+ for 93 octane.

thanks

mikev

Mike, you could take it to a shop to tune...but ANYONE can figure this out! It is SOOOOO easy! Our MyCal tuner will always hold onto your stock file so that you can take the car in for maintenance. Keep in mind that the 3BAR MAP sensor will have to be replaced with the stock 2BAR MAP if you load the stock tune back onto your car. You can give me a shout @ 313-561-5500 ext.102

OR

shoot me an email at jtejeda@livernoismotorsports.com with all of your info either way...

JAIMIE

313-561-5500

2GForumBanner3_zps1f816b7b.jpg

jaimie:

one of the guys mentioned that would have to do the tsat as well & know don't have expertise to do that. i don't really plan on racing her, she's mainly now a weekend driver/show car so would prefer not to change tsat, is that possible . found the map sensor on the manifold with the 2 screws just figuring out how to unhook it. & yes everybody said that even i could do it, so plan on giving a call or email right after the 1st.

jaimie:

one of the guys mentioned that would have to do the tsat as well & know don't have expertise to do that. i don't really plan on racing her, she's mainly now a weekend driver/show car so would prefer not to change tsat, is that possible . found the map sensor on the manifold with the 2 screws just figuring out how to unhook it. & yes everybody said that even i could do it, so plan on giving a call or email right after the 1st.

We recommend the 160° EvenFlo thermostat for efficiency, not just for racing applications. It is meant to prevent heat soak, which is a huge issue when it comes to the EB platform as a whole. The install on that is easy too...just follow the upper radiator hose to where the worm clamp is located and yank out the stock tstat, and replace. After that, you would need to "burp" the coolant.

[video=youtube;KfjE0RGVFJ0]

So apparently I am making it a game to have a problem every step of the way. I got my e-mail from LME today and was so excited to get home and start the process. I disabled my antivirus and I downloaded the program, installed the software and didn't have any hiccups at all. I started the software and I had an option to Update Tuner. So I decided to plug the tuner in, clicked on Update and it started doing its magic. It recognized the tuner, the tuner turned on and was doing its thing. I started the process and it recognized that there were 3 files, which I was expecting (91,93, stock) then it started the process saying do not disconnect until everything is done and ignore error messages. Well it went through 10 attempts to connect to the tuner next and then finally gave me an error message saying it could not connect to the tuner at all. Anyone else ran into this issue at this stage before or have any insight at all?

Thanks,

UPDATE: New rule for myself. If something fails, try doing the same thing the next morning and it will apparently work. I did everything the same and it worked flawlessly. Around 4pm EST today I will install the new intake, spark plugs, and then the tune. Thermostat will follow soon later but it's a little longer of a process so maybe that will happen next weekend. I have another thread open about the Windstorm CAI from Livernois. I will make sure to get some before/after photos and videos. There have been a lot of people asking questions and showing interest in Livernois branded Windstorm CAI.

Will update again either later tonight or tomorrow with the results of the tune and hopefully I have my "perma grin" by then.

UPDATE: New rule for myself. If something fails, try doing the same thing the next morning and it will apparently work. I did everything the same and it worked flawlessly. Around 4pm EST today I will install the new intake, spark plugs, and then the tune. Thermostat will follow soon later but it's a little longer of a process so maybe that will happen next weekend. I have another thread open about the Windstorm CAI from Livernois. I will make sure to get some before/after photos and videos. There have been a lot of people asking questions and showing interest in Livernois branded Windstorm CAI.

Will update again either later tonight or tomorrow with the results of the tune and hopefully I have my "perma grin" by then.

Good to see that you're making fast progress judging by your phone call...LET'S SEE SOME MAIDEN VOYAGE VIDEOS!

There is a big difference between the 4+ to 4X, and you will def noticed it. LME requires you install the Evenflo 160 Tstat to run 4X tune and 3Bar map. Not sure if they have 4X set to work with the 2 Bar sensor. Trans cooler is optional, but a good idea. I'm planning installing '13+ oil cooler and aftermarket trans cooler.