Ecoboost Owner Forums

LMS Tuning Questions

Skibbidy

Well the tune, spark plugs and Windstorm Cold Air Intake are all installed. I took the car out for a drive last night and had a few WOT moments that definitely put a grin on my face. I will admit I was a little intimidated since this is the first time I have ever really worked on a vehicle. Getting to some of the spark plugs was definitely a challenge. I still have to install the thermostsat. However hearing all 4 tires lose traction in 1st and 2nd gear was pretty amazing. The power it takes for a 4000lb vehicle that is AWD to lose traction is pretty incredible. The tune makes the vehicle feel like its a lot lighter than what it really is. I did figure out that I really need to stop using the paddle shifters and just put the car in "S" and let it do the shifting. Very happy with the tune. The one question I have for the community though is this. If I do choose to go back to the stock tune for any reason, do I need to change plugs, T-Stat, fuel octane? Or am I fine to just put it on the stock tune and not change anything else. There are two times a year I take my vehicle into the dealership and just want to take it back to the stock tune when I do so.

Well the tune' date=' spark plugs and Windstorm Cold Air Intake are all installed. I took the car out for a drive last night and had a few WOT moments that definitely put a grin on my face. I will admit I was a little intimidated since this is the first time I have ever really worked on a vehicle. Getting to some of the spark plugs was definitely a challenge. I still have to install the thermostsat. However hearing all 4 tires lose traction in 1st and 2nd gear was pretty amazing. The power it takes for a 4000lb vehicle that is AWD to lose traction is pretty incredible. The tune makes the vehicle feel like its a lot lighter than what it really is. I did figure out that I really need to stop using the paddle shifters and just put the car in "S" and let it do the shifting. Very happy with the tune. The one question I have for the community though is this. If I do choose to go back to the stock tune for any reason, do I need to change plugs, T-Stat, fuel octane? Or am I fine to just put it on the stock tune and not change anything else. There are two times a year I take my vehicle into the dealership and just want to take it back to the stock tune when I do so.[/quote']

The only thing that needs to swapped out whenever you revert to the stock tune is the thermostat. The stock tune file will trip a CEL with a cooler running thermostat in the car, because the engine will run in a cooler parameter than the ECU thinks is correct.

LMS i have the stage 4+ tune with dp' date='corsa exhaust,160 degree thermostat, spark plugs from LMS. Been hearing people talk about the 3 bar map sensor and a trans cooler. In order to get the new 4X tune do i need the 3 bar and trans cooler? How much more power does the 4x tune make?[/quote']

We do NOT require a trans cooler, but we do require the 3BAR MAP, DP, intake, thermostat, cooler plugs and catback.

jaime:

I'm a little confused. I thought from a prior post that returning to stock only required changing the 3 bar map out & putting 2 bar back in. now i read changing the tstat as well. i found the map & basically figured out how to do that, but changing out the tstat i was going to have a shop do. i really don't want to go back to a shop just to go back to stock. also remembered have 89 in car so got to run it out & run a couple 93's through her. may take a while since she's semi-retired.

And the 3 bar sensor is even easier to find and change than loading the tune for the first time...Mike, you won't have a problem, it is right on top of the engine when you take the cover off. The 2 bar may take a little wiggling to come out, because of the O-ring, just be gentle removing the 2 bar and getting the 3 bar in place.

Also changing out the tstat is easy...easier if you take out the air filter box. Don't forget to remove the bottom engine pan, it will catch the coolant that you lose. it's only 2 bolts and the only thing you really need to pay attention to, is the rubber gasket, so that you make sure you install it in the correct direction.

• 2 weeks later...

jamie:

am running my 89 out of my car right now. may take a while as no longer my dd & had it filled prior to me thinking about the tune. i planned on running a full tank of 93 though her then get with you to order the tuner, 3bar & tstat. already got the plugs as was at the dealer getting some standard caps as have mine hydrodipped. so plan on getting a local guy of mine to change the plugs & gap them at .30. finally to my question, is running 1 tank of 93 through her enough to get her ready to tune or do you recommend maybe a 2nd tank just to be sure. by that time should have my new cai, i already have dp's & a borla exhaust system on her, so with the items i get from you should be good to go.

thanks

mikev

jamie:

am running my 89 out of my car right now. may take a while as no longer my dd & had it filled prior to me thinking about the tune. i planned on running a full tank of 93 though her then get with you to order the tuner, 3bar & tstat. already got the plugs as was at the dealer getting some standard caps as have mine hydrodipped. so plan on getting a local guy of mine to change the plugs & gap them at .30. finally to my question, is running 1 tank of 93 through her enough to get her ready to tune or do you recommend maybe a 2nd tank just to be sure. by that time should have my new cai, i already have dp's & a borla exhaust system on her, so with the items i get from you should be good to go.

thanks

mikev

Good question Mike, we recommend the 2nd take just for safety's sake. But, if you can do it on a single tank. Just note that if you get onto that skinny pedal and she starts to hesitate, spit or sputter it is because it is out octane and can't do what you are asking it to do.

jaime:

will have my new cai in about 3 weeks, so hope to have a full tank run through asap. even driving to & from work don't drive a lot. I had another question, on the mycaliber8tor, the touch model, is their a list of gauges shown somewhere, as currently am not tapping the obd for any my gauge info & since this has the ability will want to use it for that besides the tune. also is there some type of holder so you can mount it in your car. would have to be something that you can remove it from. wouldn't want to leave it exposed in the wrong places, nor will i want it or the holder in the car at the car shows where i show her. always more questions, do you send any type of decals with a purchase. it would not be something that i would leave on my car, show judges don't like that, but something that i could attach to an 8 x 11 piece of cardboard to frame, so could display in engine bay. like i said i do at lot of car shows, a good 3 or 4 per month, maybe could drum you up some biz.

thanks for all your help

jaime:

will have my new cai in about 3 weeks, so hope to have a full tank run through asap. even driving to & from work don't drive a lot. I had another question, on the mycaliber8tor, the touch model, is their a list of gauges shown somewhere, as currently am not tapping the obd for any my gauge info & since this has the ability will want to use it for that besides the tune. also is there some type of holder so you can mount it in your car. would have to be something that you can remove it from. wouldn't want to leave it exposed in the wrong places, nor will i want it or the holder in the car at the car shows where i show her. always more questions, do you send any type of decals with a purchase. it would not be something that i would leave on my car, show judges don't like that, but something that i could attach to an 8 x 11 piece of cardboard to frame, so could display in engine bay. like i said i do at lot of car shows, a good 3 or 4 per month, maybe could drum you up some biz.

thanks for all your help

We are no longer offering that other version of the MyCal, because all it has done is provide our engineers with inaccurate info. And all that does is mess up tuning tables.

As for decals and all that, I can get you a few decals of various types with your purchase. So you can display them as you wish!

jaime:

got it, so just the lme-aiw model, sure don't need anything messing with tune. & when we talk i'll remind you about the decals. I know a lot of guys put them on the car, mike in chi-town got them all over, but car shows i go to don't like the car all decalled up with vendor info. a club sticker & that's it.

thanks again.

mikev

jaime:

got it, so just the lme-aiw model, sure don't need anything messing with tune. & when we talk i'll remind you about the decals. I know a lot of guys put them on the car, mike in chi-town got them all over, but car shows i go to don't like the car all decalled up with vendor info. a club sticker & that's it.

thanks again.

mikev

That was going to be my recommendation! Although I'm pretty amazing I am not perfect lol.

brian:

you know i'm not shy on decals, a lot more than 3 but they are sho or turbo related. vendor info & i have a decal from my local guy shop who does the big jobs, the guy who does my headrest, even one from mike b & i put them on a large piece of cardboard & put in my front seat, rear seats or trunk as all those locations need items in them. don't like to clutter engine bay especially with my new hydrodipped cover. that's why want one from LME as well. those type of items just enhance the look & show that a lot of work has been done to make the car what it is today.