Ecoboost Owner Forums

How Wide Can We Go?

I'm looking at getting some wider wheels for for AutoX this season. I'm trying to see how wide we can go as far as wheels & tires that fit. I found a set of 20x9.5 rims with a 45 offset. According to the Wheel and Time calculator i was using with a 275/40 tire i would only be .6" closer to the suspension components which i should be able to clear, and there should be no fender issues. Especially since i plan on staying with the stock ride height. I am going to work with my local tire shop to see if i can do a test fit to make sure everything works. Thats what i did on my MS3 when i went from 225's to 255's. If it doesn't work then i'll just be going with 255/45's.

Well, I know my pal over at H&R Springs ran with a 20x8.5 rim up front, along with 255/45R20 tires, and then ran with a 20x10 rim on the rear, along with a 275/40R20 tire on their 2010 SHO Project Car.

Those rims are both at a 40mm offset.

They originally had 22x9's at all four corners, along with 265/35R22's all the way around.

Not sure what the reason for the change(s) were from the 22's back to the 20's, but I did recently speak with him about any rubbing issues and they experienced none.

Not sure if this is of any help to you.

I am planning on running this same set up (the staggered 20's on my SHO) come this Summer when I can flip enough extra coin for the set up.

The wider the wheel, the higher # offset one needs to stay within the fender line, up to the point of touching suspension components. Most inside clearance issues (suspension components) are on the front, because wheels are able to turn in and out. On my son's GTO (originally mine) the 8" front wheels had a 40 offset and the 9" rears had a 48 offset, and the outside amount of rim was identical, so the extra inch was all to the rear.

On my Brick, I am running 9 1/2" x 18" wheels on front with the 285-40-18" Nitto Drag Radials. Fit fine, and stick out just slightly beyond fender, if at all. The one thing you have to make sure NO MATTER WHAT.... is that the front and rear tire diameters need to be the same (within a few revolutions per mile). So if you have a 27" or 29" (or whatever size) on front, you better be using the same diameter tire on the rear, even if it is wider (or narrower... in my case...).

From a visual perspective... Mike has the right idea... but because our vehicles are front end heavy, and also are designed to put a maximum of 150 hp to the rear, one likely needs to put the wider tires on the front, from a practical standpoint.

I neglected to mention here (have elsewhere) that the offset of my TSW Interlogos 9 1/2" x 18" are 32 offset. Based on this, Mike's 20 x 10 with 40 offset should be good to go. As for tire width, you could probably go up to 315 if you could find a matching diameter front tire setup. Guess if I were Auto-crossing, I would use identical rims and tires all around so I could rotate when wear dictated. Do have another pair of identical Interlagos so I can put them on all 4's.

Oh yeah... I have a "TOOL" that I use to measure the back spacing between the tire and suspension components... but I can't show it to you!!!!!!:mod::mod::mod::cheer2::RpS_thumbsup::RpS_thumbsup:

The wider the wheel, the higher # offset one needs to stay within the fender line, up to the point of touching suspension components. Most inside clearance issues (suspension components) are on the front, because wheels are able to turn in and out. On my son's GTO (originally mine) the 8" front wheels had a 40 offset and the 9" rears had a 48 offset, and the outside amount of rim was identical, so the extra inch was all to the rear.

On my Brick, I am running 9 1/2" x 18" wheels on front with the 285-40-18" Nitto Drag Radials. Fit fine, and stick out just slightly beyond fender, if at all. The one thing you have to make sure NO MATTER WHAT.... is that the front and rear tire diameters need to be the same (within a few revolutions per mile). So if you have a 27" or 29" (or whatever size) on front, you better be using the same diameter tire on the rear, even if it is wider (or narrower... in my case...).

From a visual perspective... Mike has the right idea... but because our vehicles are front end heavy, and also are designed to put a maximum of 150 hp to the rear, one likely needs to put the wider tires on the front, from a practical standpoint.

I was going to be running Nitto NT05's for AutoX, and i was going to run the 275/40 all around so i can make the tires last. I was also going to be running this setup at "The Dragon" this year, where brakes and tire get a serious workout.

I neglected to mention here (have elsewhere) that the offset of my TSW Interlogos 9 1/2" x 18" are 32 offset. Based on this, Mike's 20 x 10 with 40 offset should be good to go. As for tire width, you could probably go up to 315 if you could find a matching diameter front tire setup. Guess if I were Auto-crossing, I would use identical rims and tires all around so I could rotate when wear dictated. Do have another pair of identical Interlagos so I can put them on all 4's.

Oh yeah... I have a "TOOL" that I use to measure the back spacing between the tire and suspension components... but I can't show it to you!!!!!!:mod::mod::mod::cheer2::RpS_thumbsup::RpS_thumbsup:

LoL, The cheapest 20x9.5 i was looking at were some Enkei LS-5 or L-SR

enkei_LS5_Blk_lg.jpg or enkei_L_SR_lg.jpg

Well, I know my pal over at H&R Springs ran with a 20x8.5 rim up front, along with 255/45R20 tires, and then ran with a 20x10 rim on the rear, along with a 275/40R20 tire on their 2010 SHO Project Car.

Those rims are both at a 40mm offset.

They originally had 22x9's at all four corners, along with 265/35R22's all the way around.

Not sure what the reason for the change(s) were from the 22's back to the 20's, but I did recently speak with him about any rubbing issues and they experienced none.

Not sure if this is of any help to you.

I am planning on running this same set up (the staggered 20's on my SHO) come this Summer when I can flip enough extra coin for the set up.

Thats is good to hear.

When you go looking for tires and after they are mounted, check them front & back with one of these. It checks Dia by measuring the circumference since that is what is really needed and is more accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/Lufkin-W606PD-Executive-Diameter-Engineers/dp/B0002JT2AI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331167720&sr=8-2

Thank you

With a 10MM spacer, do you have to install longer wheel studs? TireRack said that anything over 3mm could have issues. Also, how do you get hubcentric mounting with spacers, or do the spacers have a hub lip built in? Ones I have seen do not.

TSW Interlagos or Nurburgring wheels are some of the cheapest roto-forged LIGHT WEIGHT wheels around. Mike, isn't that what you are going to use?

With an SCT tuner, you can adjust ODO & Speedo for smaller tire sizes if you want to reduce wheel and tire mass. Really helps braking distances, as well as provides more real torque to the pavement. As many of you know, I am running 27" diameter tires vs 29" stock (Flex). Have knocked over 60 lbs of unsprung weight (with ASA AR-2's) and when I go to the TSW Interlagos with Conti DW's, I will have saved over 80 lbs. This is all rotational mass, so my mileage stayed the same or got better, even with 7-8% smaller tires. Know some don't like the look, but I am very happy with the setup.

With a 10MM spacer, do you have to install longer wheel studs?

Also, how do you get hubcentric mounting with spacers, or do the spacers have a hub lip built in? Ones I have seen do not.

TSW Interlagos or Nurburgring wheels are some of the cheapest roto-forged LIGHT WEIGHT wheels around.

Mike, isn't that what you are going to use?

Alright EBB......

One at a time.

As far as spacers, H&R does make hubcentric spacer kits, in varying degrees that come with the extended studs.

If you're interested in watching the video on their hubcentric designed spacers, go here: http://trakplus.com/

Then just follow the links ("Find Application Tab") once there on the H&R spacer page to get to the SHO specific products.

.......and yes, thanks for letting the cat of the bag you goof. Geezuz, can't keep nothing under wraps with you guys :nono:

I am currently putting money to the side for the TSW Nurburgring wheels in matte black.

20x8.5's up front, and 20x10's in the rear.

tsw_nurburgring_5_gunmetal_face_pop.jpg

nurburgring_gunmetal_pop_std.jpg

nurburgring_gunmetal_pop_bty.jpg

So yes EBB..... between all the talk from you and Darrell about how much weight was/is being saved by rock'n a set of TSW wheels, I was compelled to look hard at their product line and "settled" on these.

I think they'll compliment the overall theme of my car, while doubling down as an added plus in the weight savings department :thumb:

Sorry... didn't mean to let the cat out of the bag....

Checked out H & R spacers. Only issue I can see is that hubs have to be removed to replace stock wheel studs with longer ones, even if you use only the 5 mm spacers. The 3mm ones I purchased but never used do not have a hubcentric lip.

Alright EBB......

One at a time.

As far as spacers, H&R does make hubcentric spacer kits, in varying degrees that come with the extended studs.

If you're interested in watching the video on their hubcentric designed spacers, go here: http://trakplus.com/

Then just follow the links ("Find Application Tab") once there on the H&R spacer page to get to the SHO specific products.

.......and yes, thanks for letting the cat of the bag you goof. Geezuz, can't keep nothing under wraps with you guys :nono:

I am currently putting money to the side for the TSW Nurburgring wheels in matte black.

So yes EBB..... between all the talk from you and Darrell about how much weight was/is being saved by rock'n a set of TSW wheels, I was compelled to look hard at their product line and "settled" on these.

I think they'll compliment the overall theme of my car, while doubling down as an added plus in the weight savings department :thumb:

Those are the exact wheels I want on my SHO. Great minds must think alike. :D

Jesus EBB....

Do you always enjoy everything being spoon fed to you?

It's ok to break out a sweat every now & then by doing a lil extra, christ.

Bwahahaha

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Actually,,,, I know I'm good... but I am not the son of God....:hail: But I hope to sit pretty close! You know I like your wheel choice... Had I not purchased the ASA AR-2's, I would have chosen these over the Interlagos. But stayed with polished due to my multi color Brick.:angel::RpS_thumbsup::flypig::flypig:

• 1 year later...
Waiting on my new Hyper Silver TSW Max 20x9 40mm with 275/40-20 Nitto Invo's all the way around. Should fit even with my Wilwood setup' date=' but may still use spacers just to keep the stance I want. I may also send the TSW's out for Permachrome or PVD.[/quote']

WHOA! another set of new wheels Mike?

Have we confirmed that 20x9 5x114.3 40mm offset fits?

I don't want to stagger wheels; want to be able to rotate them--or do I need to stick with the factory 20x8.5?

Not sure about the 13's, but the 2010 through 2012 model years, have 20x8's. 20x9's do fit.

• 4 weeks later...
With a 10MM spacer, do you have to install longer wheel studs?

Also, how do you get hubcentric mounting with spacers, or do the spacers have a hub lip built in? Ones I have seen do not.

TSW Interlagos or Nurburgring wheels are some of the cheapest roto-forged LIGHT WEIGHT wheels around.

Mike, isn't that what you are going to use?

Alright EBB......

One at a time.

Did you end up getting these wheels? How do you like them? What did you need for them to work on the SHO and what tires did you run w/ them?

Archived