Ecoboost Owner Forums

TICKING noise from glove box area on startup?

every time I start my car, I hear this clicking noise on startup and tried to locate it and it sounds like it's coming from the glove box, but can't figure it out. It last about 5 second and then goes away and is only on startup. Anyone have any idea what that could be?

Yes, it is a broken control box, I can't remember the name but it's a common problem that a bunch of us have experienced.  it controls the door for the climate control and the plastic gears either strip or break teeth.  It isn't really difficult to replace, just a bit of a pain.  Mine broke while still under warranty. 

Yes, it is a broken control box, I can't remember the name but it's a common problem that a bunch of us have experienced.  it controls the door for the climate control and the plastic gears either strip or break teeth.  It isn't really difficult to replace, just a bit of a pain.  Mine broke while still under warranty. 

the blend door actuator? I googled this and found that sounds like it could be the same problem as mine

I did a pretty detailed write-up of how to replace it. It's actually fairly easy and inexpensive. I'm on my phone right now, maybe somebody can find my write up on here. With photos. :-)

I saw one on youtube and it was super simple. I went to Autozone last night, paid $24 for the part and had the part installed and the problem fixed in about 10 minutes and most of that time was just finding the right tools =)

mark:

that's because you are an old fart like me & yes 89 they have been an issue from day 1 just like the peeling taillight trim.

Oh man! you are so right Mike...I think I have forgotten more then I remember about the car...I keep going back to the owner's manual to figure out how to do stuff I've done a bunch of times... :rolleyes: