Ecoboost Owner Forums

Explorer V-6 EcoBoost Finally Coming

IDK what the actual dimensions are, but I think, at least appearance wise, the Flex looks larger then the Exploder.

Either way, unlike opinions found on other sites, I for one am glad to see FMC placing the EcoBoost into yet another model in their lineup.

The gripes of the past about there not being enough after market support, etc etc. (due to the exclusive use of the Yamaha power plant in the older Taurus SHO's only) will quickly fade as this lil tid bit of news can only bode well for us EB owners looking to upgrade various aspects of our motor(s).

I suspect the performance after market world will continue to focus their attention on products upgrades etc, while FMC will still be able to continue touting their green initiative with the entire EB platform.

A perfect balance IMHO of both worlds. Bravo :clap2:

I never understood why they offered that heavy of a vehicle with the Eco 4 anyway. The n/a 6 and Eco 6 like the Flex are the only drivetrains that make sense to me in that large of a platform.

Glad to see Ford at least making it an option.(Eco 6)

From what I understand the new Explorer is built on the Taurus platform, so I assume interior wise it is probably close to the same size as the Taurus. We always liked the fact that both the older Explorers and Rangers were built on real frames, but with the change to the Taurus platform it is no longer true. I do know that when we looked at the Explorers to replace our 2004 the towing numbers are much lower for this version. Seems like if you are going to do any semi-serious towing, your only choice is a truck now.

The Explorer Sport EB V-6 has the same towing capacity as the Flex and MKT. All these vehicles are built on the same platform. Explorer and Taurus are more closely matched. In fact, the Explorer has more room behind the third seat than the Flex. This means that with a 4" longer wheelbase, the Flex has gobs more seating room in the second and 3rd row. It helps if you get 2nd row buckets in the Explorer, but not much. What I would like to see, is the Explorer style front end mated to the Flex. One could also do a version of their taillights. Everything in between should stay as-is. Then it would be a bit less boxy & just about perfect. Explorer definitely needs to be lowered a bunch....

From what I understand the new Explorer is built on the Taurus platform' date=' so I assume interior wise it is probably close to the same size as the Taurus. We always liked the fact that both the older Explorers and Rangers were built on real frames, but with the change to the Taurus platform it is no longer true. I do know that when we looked at the Explorers to replace our 2004 the towing numbers are much lower for this version. Seems like if you are going to do any semi-serious towing, your only choice is a truck now.[/quote']

You be right Mark, they roll down the same line in chicago. I originally looked at the explorer before I bought my SHO, it wasn't for me I'm not a truck guy. And felt it was under powered, and lacked space. but now with the ecoboost v6 we all power shouldn't be a issue anymore.

I know we looked closely at the new Explorer as a replacement, and were disappointed with the towing capacity of it. We are taking our time finding a replacement for our 04 Explorer, since it is a Limited and still in fairly nice shape, but my wife wants to do some traveling and camping once she retires, but since that is a few years away we aren't hurrying to a replacement, but we want something that is go to tow our camper.

Get a tune ready Rick' date=' Wife's Edge lease is up next year, guarantee that Explorer is the next Ecoboost in the Garage! Oh and EBB, those tires are cheap compared to the 305/55/20 Nitto Terras on my F-150[/quote']

Hopefully the computer is similar to the truck so we are able to have files ready as soon as it's available.

-Rick

• 1 month later...
Since it is built in the same plant as the Taurus' date=' and is basically a FWD platform adapted to AWD, that it uses the Car engine. So... when the 2013 SHO ECM is tuned, the Explorer EB will too...[/quote']

I know they all run with a variant of the D platform. But Rick mentioned the trucks ECM. Whence the quote. For example, A 07 GT500 uses a different ECM then a GT mustang of the same year (looks the same). The Explorer has some uniqueness to it that is not available on the SHO. Hill decent is one that pops to mind. It is offered on the F150 line. So its a little more involved then just being built at the same plant.

• 3 weeks later...
I know they all run with a variant of the D platform. But Rick mentioned the trucks ECM. Whence the quote. For example' date=' A 07 GT500 uses a different ECM then a GT mustang of the same year (looks the same). The Explorer has some uniqueness to it that is not available on the SHO. Hill decent is one that pops to mind. It is offered on the F150 line. So its a little more involved then just being built at the same plant.[/quote']

My Flex has hill descent. On steep hills at speed, if I let off on the gas, the tranny shifts into a lower gear to slow it down.

The original info on the Explorer Sport showed 5,000 lb towing capacity. My Flex is listed at 4,500. It's not the engine, but the uni-body strength that determines the towing capacity. The new EB Explorer in original info, weighs around 5,200 lbs, which is 400 more than the Flex and 800 more than the SHO.

My Flex has hill descent. On steep hills at speed, if I let off on the gas, the tranny shifts into a lower gear to slow it down.

The original info on the Explorer Sport showed 5,000 lb towing capacity. My Flex is listed at 4,500. It's not the engine, but the uni-body strength that determines the towing capacity. The new EB Explorer in original info, weighs around 5,200 lbs, which is 400 more than the Flex and 800 more than the SHO.

gotcha, In regaurd to ECM tuning I was refering to the hill decent control (offroad modes etc.) that our 2010 Raptor had, Which used the braking system and throttle inputs set by the user. Very interesting system. I believe this is system is taken to the next level (or more utilized) with the Explorer. Flex doesnt have it (yet ?)

I wish Ford would of announced the Explorer Sport prior to my wife and I purchasing our Edge Sport. I would of jumped all over it and waited for one..

What do you think this thing will run with a tune? (If I can convince my wife' date=' she is considering the Range Rover Evoque as well.) But I bleed Ford Blue. I'm thinking probably high 13's low 14's stock and low 13's with 91 tune.[/quote']

Ford ran 14.5's stock with Flex & 13.9's stock with MKS. Remember the Explorer Sport weighs 400 lbs more than Flex and 800 lbs more than MKS & SHO. Doubt it was on 87. Likely was on 93.

That's true, still should be a fun ride no doubt, cant wait to test it out. Would love to get a SHO but wife likes the practicality of CUV/SUV's. I'm wayyy leaning towards the Explorer over the Range Rover as my Dad would probably disown me for owning anything but a Ford. (I wouldn't blame him, lol)

Archived