Ecoboost Owner Forums

Oil Filter Question????

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Royal Purple filter has just arrived from Summit Racing...haven't had time to inspect it' date=' 'cause I'm heading to the mountains to do some work on my summer cabin.[/quote']

You must have left right away cuz I phoned and no answer -- I'll get to you later and talk about RP filter.

C.

Got to look over the Royal Purple oil filter I received a few days ago. It appears to have the same markings as the Mobil One oil filter, which isn't surprising since they are made by the same manufacturer. Also the filter is stamped as "Made In USA". Weight seems about the same as the Mobil One...the anti-drainback gasket appears to be the same grade silicone as the Mobil One filter.

Got to look over the Royal Purple oil filter I received a few days ago. It appears to have the same markings as the Mobil One oil filter' date=' which isn't surprising since they are made by the same manufacturer. Also the filter is stamped as "Made In USA". Weight seems about the same as the Mobil One...the anti-drainback gasket appears to be the same grade silicone as the Mobil One filter.[/quote']

Good to know, Mark......tho the Mobil 1 is more readily available -- If I ever bump into a RP I'll buy some if the price is right tho.

C.

• 1 month later...

Wow, just made a trip to my Advance Auto to pick up Royal Purple 5W-20 oil and was informed that they are not going to carry 5W-20 any longer because the don't sell enough to justify keeping it in stock! I am amazed again, but at least they did offer to order if for me when I wanted more.

Wow' date=' just made a trip to my Advance Auto to pick up Royal Purple 5W-20 oil and was informed that they are not going to carry 5W-20 any longer because the don't sell enough to justify keeping it in stock! I am amazed again, but at least they did offer to order if for me when I wanted more.[/quote']

Just changed my oil over the weekend. Got the Royal Purple 5w-30 as the cap says. Used Motorcraft Oil filter. Was a breeze to change........ My son did it. LoL.:RpS_smile:

Yeah' date=' old and THICK AS A BRICK!!!!:drum:[/quote']

LOL you guys talkin' about me again ------ :wink: lol..

I personally like 5W30 a tad more than the 20 Mark -- It affords a little more protection in the heat of the summer and should give the same performance in the winter months.

In an effort the get better mileage, the engineers are going very thin these days to attain that mileage. I like having a slightly thicker film of oil on those cylinder walls and sacrifice a fraction of an mpg.

Just my personal pref. :canada:

Cheers,

C.

I completely agree with you Colin, and I was very hesitant to use 5W-20 when our first Ford recommended it. But now we have been using it it for about 250,000 miles in combined vehicles and haven't had any oil related problems, so I have a bit more faith in it then when I first used it.

That's what I did' date=' changed when my freebies were finished. Keep in mine these observations are very early into the use of Royal Purple. But so far I am pleased with it.[/quote']

Mark, how does the price of RP oil compare to Mobil 1???

Just wondering,

C.

Our Mobil 1 is about $7-8 per your size quart give or take depending on the sale (regular price is closer to $12!)

Thankfully it goes on sale quite often and I have a stock of it. With 3 vehicles it pays.

I've never priced RP tho but I do hear a lot of good things about it.

I'm gonna guess and say that it's more expensive than M-1 but I'll see who carries it.

C.

Here is current pricing at Advance: Mobil One $6.59, Castrol Edge $8.79, Royal Purple $9.49. I paid $8.35 per quart for the Royal Purple. I know Mobil One is less expensive at Wally World in the 5 quart jug and Costco sees the 6 quart case for about $25.00. So Mobil One is a fair amount cheaper and I have used it without any problem for years, but my first impression with the Royal Purple is very favorable, I will give it more time and miles before posting my non-scientific thoughts and observations.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update on the Royal Purple oil filter. I am pleased with it on the SHO so I just ordered a case of 6 from Summit Racing, only charged $4.95 shipping on the 6 filters. Seems reasonable for these filters, since they are not available locally for me.

Archived