Ecoboost Owner Forums

Need help! Next performance mod desired...

Went to a cruise night last night, at Hooters with my 4 year old son, had a blast. Got to talking to a bunch of guys out in the parking lot, 119 cars showed up, all American from all eras. All spots taken with show cars and double wide in the travel lanes. No one who parked in a Hooters owned spot was going anywhere until the show was over. Showed some guys, on my iPhone, some of the time slips you Flex and SHO owners have been turning. Talked about my tune and CAI and where we thought my Flex be on the drag strip.

Anyway, I now have the desire for some new mods. Probably starting with a new cat-back exhaust, even if it is only noise fluff.

I'd like any new mods to be as inconspicuous as possible to a dealer when getting my Flex serviced. I mean, I revert to my stock tune, remove my CAI and put at least 200 miles on it before bringing my Flex in for any service.

So besides a cat back system, what else can I do? Lower temp sensor sounds like an easy one? Maybe a 3bar MapV sensor?

H2O/Meth system might be too obvious when getting serviced.

Any other ideas?

PS...I may put together a small show board for my Flex for cruise nights. People were shocked. Anyone put one together for the Flex or SHO yet?

As for NOISE FLUFF, the easiest way to do this is to buy 2 satin finished Magnaflow mufflers, paint them flat black like stock, and replace stock mufflers, using stock tips. About $300. total. Looks Factory and sounds about as loud as a stock new Mustang V-6.

As for 3 bar sensor... it isn't worth changing without water/methanol spray. Spraying allows for more turbo boost by lowering the Manifold Charge Temp, allowing for the extra boost without having the car de-tune due to charge heat.

The 170 deg T-Stat is worthwhile, mostly to keep everything cooler, whether or not you are driving hard.

While I haven't done it yet, I think the Tranny Oil Cooler Mod like the 2013's have, is also very worthwhile, if you pull a trailer, or make continuous passes at the strip.

And if you decide to do Spray, there are ways to install where it can be quickly removed. But unless you continually get on it like BPD Mike, you won't notice Spray in daily driving, as it doesn't spray, until boost is around 8 PSI.

I also believe in lighter wheels & tires. Most of those followers have gone with 20" TSW RotoForged wheels due to their reasonable cost,(Interlagos or Nurburgring). I too am using the Interlagos, but in 18" x 9" 32 offset size, which are 5 lbs lighter at 18 lbs ea, and whose rotating mass is closer to the hub. I added Michelin Pilot Super Sports (Summer Tires) in 235-50-18" size, which are almost the same width has the stock 245 0r 255 widths of SHO & Flex. While I haven't tried them at the strip, the Michelins handle fantastic, just like all the reviews. Flex is almost twitchy it is so responsive!

Thanks guys!

I'm thinking to start with a Magnaflow cat back system from banditexhaust.com for $539. I just need to find a local installer who can either install it for me or match that price and install it for me. Or how hard is it to do yourself? I've got a buddy who has a lift, so doing it myself might be a possibility if it is really un-bolt the old and bolt-on the new.

Followed by the 170 t-stat. Not sure what I want to do after that.

Thanks guys!

I'm thinking to start with a Magnaflow cat back system from banditexhaust.com for $539. I just need to find a local installer who can either install it for me or match that price and install it for me. Or how hard is it to do yourself? I've got a buddy who has a lift, so doing it myself might be a possibility if it is really un-bolt the old and bolt-on the new.

Followed by the 170 t-stat. Not sure what I want to do after that.

Super easy to do yourself!

Ben, when I got my Magnaflow from Bandit for my G8 GT, I installed it with jack stands in about 2 1/2 hrs. Only issue I can see is whether the Flex system eliminates the 3rd cat. If it doesn't, then one would have to cut into the existing system. Would guess if that's the case, that the Magnaflow system would then be designed to slide over the cut section, and be secured with a clamp.

Bandit is very aggressive in pricing w/shipping so unlikely a local will match price, though it never hurts to try.

Another thing to consider, if you are ever needing to go back to stock, you could have your muffler shop merge the new onto the stock with flanges and bolts, so you could simply switch back. I did this with my X-Pipe & 3rd cat delete section, purchased from NESHO. Don't exactly know if it translated into HP or not, but with the x-pipe and elimination of the 3rd cat, we saw slight gains in boost, with the same tune level. Also is noticeably louder, especially to those riding in the 3rd row.

• 3 weeks later...

After finding Scrming's post below and seeing the graph:

Wow, sounds like after exhaust, w/m kit is next...

33hp gain at the wheels and 37 ft lbs of torgue gain?

http://www.ecoboostownerforums.com/showthread.php?614-looking-for-a-great-tuner-to-get-max-hp-and-tp&p=7664#post7664

Quoted from Scrming's post in the link above:

BLUE - Stock Tune

RED - Livernois Stage 4+ Tune

GREEN - Livernois Stage 4+ plus Methanol Tune

4Plus_Methanol.jpg

The w/m system I got from Torrie is easier to install and remove as it is not behind the front bumper on the drivers side. I installed the same basic pump just behind the coolant reservoir. Also, on needs to purchase an extra tube from intercooler to TB, as any dealer will see the hose and spray nozzle that mounts in it. The biggest difference between the system I installed and the Alky Control system is that theirs uses a progressive controller, and they recommend using 100% Methanol.

After finding Scrming's post below and seeing the graph:

Wow, sounds like after exhaust, w/m kit is next...

33hp gain at the wheels and 37 ft lbs of torgue gain?

http://www.ecoboostownerforums.com/showthread.php?614-looking-for-a-great-tuner-to-get-max-hp-and-tp&p=7664#post7664

Quoted from Scrming's post in the link above:

BLUE - Stock Tune

RED - Livernois Stage 4+ Tune

GREEN - Livernois Stage 4+ plus Methanol Tune

4Plus_Methanol.jpg

And the thing is we've tweaked the tune since then and probably add some more torque!!!

Archived