Ecoboost Owner Forums

Engine Oil Weight

I was looking at the thread below and noticed 5w20 on a couple of the oil caps and one with 5w30. This made me curious so I looked at mine and it is 5w30 as well. When did Ford change the suggested oil weights and why? I did a search and didn't see anything specific on the subject so I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone else had noticed before.

http://www.ecoboostownerforums.com/showthread.php?602-MKS-Engine-Dress-Up-%28inexpensive-mod%29

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was changed for 2012, both the 10 & 11 models say 5w-20. I have been using 5w-20 for well over 10 years now, and I had some concerns, but since it was the recommended weight, I used it. I have experienced no oil related problems using 5w-20 in any of my vehicles, so I am more comfortable with it now. But if you car recommends 5w-30 that is what I would use. Using recommended weight oil seems to be the best way to avoid any warranty concerns. However, some people here have been using 5w-30 in their cars (10 & 11) and have not had any problems. As too why Ford changed the recommended weight, I don't believe that we have ever got a definitive answer to that question.

I have a 2011 and my cap says 5w-30. My dealer puts 5w-20 in it as they do with all Ecoboost engines. I ask why use a lower oil than what the cap says and he says that it allows the turbos to spin at a higher velocity and stay cooler since there isnt as much weight they are having to spin. I believe it has something to do with the introduction of the F-150 and their higher torque their ecoboost produces. I don't know how much bullshit he is feeding me but I have records of all my oil changes at ford (only have had the dealer change my oil) and if it messes stuff up then ford will be paying for it. Im that guy.

Maybe it was like mid-year 2011 when it changed, I believe that Showgun's 11 calls for 5w-20 on the cap...but wouldn't swear to that....heck, as time seems to fly by...I can't remember exactly when the change occurred. Then again, maybe all the 11's have the 5w-30 recommendation, I remember discussing it with Colin, and I know he prefers 5w-30, but I just can't recall what the recommendation is on his car. BTW, I keep records like that too, so I don't see anything wrong with it. Although, I'm having a bit of trouble buying that story about the turbo's spinning at higher velocity and staying cooler with 20 vs 30 weight, hopefully someone who is more knowledge can either verify or debunk that story.

Quick answer due to iphone and big fingers :

30 thicker better for spirited driving in summer heat

20 more liquid better in winter...

The 30 with heat becomes more liquid and protects engine better than heated 20 would being too liquid.

Don't believe the turbo bs your dealer is saying.

Cheers

Maybe it was like mid-year 2011 when it changed' date=' I believe that Showgun's 11 calls for 5w-20 on the cap...but wouldn't swear to that....heck, as time seems to fly by...I can't remember exactly when the change occurred. Then again, maybe all the 11's have the 5w-30 recommendation, I remember discussing it with Colin, and I know he prefers 5w-30, but I just can't recall what the recommendation is on his car. BTW, I keep records like that too, so I don't see anything wrong with it. Although, I'm having a bit of trouble buying that story about the turbo's spinning at higher velocity and staying cooler with 20 vs 30 weight, hopefully someone who is more knowledge can either verify or debunk that story.[/quote']

5W30 on my engine, Mark....Altho it's what I prefer, I'm sure 5W20 is just fine too.

C.

I'm thinking that once I use my 5w-20 I may change to the 30 since Ford has changed the recommendation, although I have no reservations about the 5w-20, but this is the first turbo engine I've had since using it, so I believe it will be 5w-30 for me.

It was changed for 2012' date=' both the 10 & 11 models say 5w-20. I have been using 5w-20 for well over 10 years now, and I had some concerns, but since it was the recommended weight, I used it. I have experienced no oil related problems using 5w-20 in any of my vehicles, so I am more comfortable with it now. But if you car recommends 5w-30 that is what I would use. Using recommended weight oil seems to be the best way to avoid any warranty concerns. However, some people here have been using 5w-30 in their cars (10 & 11) and have not had any problems. As too why Ford changed the recommended weight, I don't believe that we have ever got a definitive answer to that question.[/quote'] Here a monkey in the wrench, my car is a 2011 order 10-2010, builted date 12-07-2010 pick-up 12-24-2010 (What a Christmas present) and I have the 5w-30 cap. It maybe that the for south the car was going to be delivered the more likely to get 5w-30 and north 5w-20? Just thinking. [ATTACH=CONFIG]651[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]652[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]653[/ATTACH]

post-237-142532287369_thumb.jpg

post-237-142532287372_thumb.jpg

post-237-142532287375_thumb.jpg

post-237-142532287369_thumb.jpg

post-237-142532287372_thumb.jpg

post-237-142532287375_thumb.jpg

No I believe I was wrong and that the change actually occurred for all 2011's. It's my feeble mind...not being able to recall worth a darn...but I have come up with a solution, since our Explorer uses 5w-20, I can use all my supply in the Explorer and will switch to 5w-30 for my next oil change...sometimes I amaze myself, how simple solutions can almost escape me!:doh:

No I believe I was wrong and that the change actually occurred for all 2011's. It's my feeble mind...not being able to recall worth a darn...but I have come up with a solution' date=' since our Explorer uses 5w-20, I can use all my supply in the Explorer and will switch to 5w-30 for my next oil change...sometimes I amaze myself, how simple solutions can almost escape me!:doh:[/quote']

Don't hit you self to hard:doh: We all blow it some time but that why your brothers and sisters here at EBForum always got you back.:hug:

Were there any changes at all internally bewteen 2010 and 2011? My 2010 cap, of course, indicates 5w-20. If there were no engine changes, then it seems logical to use 5w-30, since that is Ford's "latest" recommendation. I just want someone to TELL me what to use. LOL.

For what I have read and been recommended is the warmer the engine (due to spirited driving or hot weather), we should use the 5W-30 as the heat will reduce its thickness and be more appropriate to lubricate the engine than the 5W-20 would be under same conditions. The 5W-20 would therefore be a bit too liquid... Probably no problem at all, but if you sollicitate the turbos a lot, then you will be better using 5W-30. In the winter, not only is it cooler up here, but also, I do not abuse that often and certainly can't go to the drags, so the 5W-20 is perfect thickness. I only put synthetic oil and bring my oil (always Royal Purple) to the dealer for oil change. I never drive more than 5K miles between changes, even if I use the synthetic oil... I figure that is a must in order to preserve the engine and components in good order, especially given my driving habits... After all, I got a SHO instead of a Limited not just for the double exhaust! lol Gotta love it! ; )

Steve, I don't know that you're thinking is correct (but could be that I am wrong) but I thought that 5w-30 meant that the oil was the viscosity of 30 weight when cold and then 5w when warm. Which means that both 5w-20 and 5w-30 are basically the same when warm. I am thinking that maybe the 5w-30 offers a bit more protection for bearings and turbo parts at start-up due to it being a bit thicker.

This has been discussed in detail both here and on other SHO & Flex forums. The consensus, including from tuner Torrie, is to use what is recommended by Ford for the various year of the vehicle. That would be 5W-20 for 2010 vehicles.

However, if one were to change, it would seem to me that a 0W-30 Synthetic would be the best choice, simply because it will give the best start up protection, and also provide more stable oil under very hot & stressful engine conditions.

Thanks' date=' Bob, I am not familiar with 0w-30 at all is there some advantage to the 0w over the 5w?[/quote']

The "0" would give slightly better flow in cold weather than the "5" Mark...Flow characteristics would be maintained right down to -40'ish.

C.

The "0" would give slightly better flow in cold weather than the "5" Mark...Flow characteristics would be maintained right down to -40'ish.

C.

I was thinking mjhpadi was making a funny about 0w. Because here in the south (HOT ATLANTA) it was 85deg yesterday never heard of 0w lowest every hearing about was 5w :doh: Thanks for the knowledge. EBForum rocks!!!! I learn something new every day.

C.

:kiss: Thanks, Colin, I keep forgetting you are up there in the Great White Cold North, so that you would have already explored the benefits of a 0w weight oil. :thumb:

:boink::RpS_lol: Wow, that shot came in below the knees!!!! Anyway, I got rid of it, I pawned it off on a friend of mine who helps with my car projects, was one of my trusted fellow officers at work, and who is very active in the local hot rod community, so he will make good use of it! :fear:

Bwahahahaha all in good fun Mark.

Luv 'ya man (no homo)

Plus, I was also just trying to resurrect that 'For Sale' thread for 'ya in the hopes of helping you out in selling it as I never saw any updates posted and therefore thought the sale was still 'active'.

Mike, it still was active (sorta) but now that my pal has the oil it can be taken off...I know he will make a deal with that case of oil...besides he just helped me put new brake pads and rotors on our Explorer, and also got me his "dealer" discount, since he does have a repair service on the side. And he won't ever let me pay him. And even though your shot came in low, it was a good use of a bullet! :hail:

This has been discussed in detail both here and on other SHO & Flex forums. The consensus' date=' including from tuner Torrie, is to use what is recommended by Ford for the various year of the vehicle. That would be 5W-20 for 2010 vehicles..[/quote']

Thanks, I needed direction and this is it.

An interesting tidbit that I ran across should help those who do not understand the oil spec and what it means.

"Viscosity, at its most basic, is a fluid's resistance to flow. Within the engine oil world, viscosity is notated with the common "XW-XX." The number preceding the "W" rates the oil's flow at 0 degrees Fahrenheit (-17.8 degrees Celsius). The "W" stands for winter, not weight as many people think. The lower the number here, the less it thickens in the cold. So 5W-30 viscosity engine oil thickens less in the cold than a 10W-30, but more than a 0W-30. An engine in a colder climate, where motor oil tends to thicken because of lower temperatures, would benefit from 0W or 5W viscosity. A car in Death Valley would need a higher number to keep the oil from thinning out too much.

The second number after the "W" indicates the oil's viscosity measured at 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degrees Celsius). This number represents the oil's resistance to thinning at high temperatures. For example, 10W-30 oil will thin out at higher temperatures faster than 10W-40 will."

Archived