Ecoboost Owner Forums

Lower Front Chin Spoiler

Continuing with the aesthetics mods along the exterior of my 2010 Taurus SHO, I finally was provided with the information on where to obtain this specfic part for the front end of my car.

It is a lower front chin spoiler.

I first saw this item on a 2010 SHO that made it's appearance at SEMA. The car it was installed upon was aptly titled "SHOx" and was designed in part by Rick Bottom of RB Designs (located in Mendota, IL.).

Well I fell in love with it instantly. Much like I did the front upper and lower matching custom open mouth mesh grilles from Mobsteel.

So just like I spent almost 10 months trying to convince the boys at Mobsteel to mass reproduce their grilles for our model year of Taurus, I embarked on a similiar quest to have these lower front chin spoilers mass reproduced for our Taurus's. Eight months passed.....

The attempts to contact RB Designs were daunting. But fear not, I am a persistent son-of-a-b!tch to say the least.

Well finally, about 4 weeks ago, Rick was gracious enough to get back to me. I reached out to the company that he had produce these and a dialog subsequently ensued.

I immediately ordered the item and production commenced.

I want to take an extra moment to thank Razzi Corp as well as Auto Aftermarket Concepts (Cincinnati, OH.) for both producing, painting, and freighting this particular item into my grubby lil paws.

Not able to contain my excitement, I wanted to immediately snap off a few pics and share with the community.

Now mind you, I have no plans to install this until let's say, February or March of 2012 (contigent on how long Winter lasts here in Chi-Town). Another reason for holding off on install is because I would like to get this particular piece "3M Clear Bra'd" prior to actual installation on to the SHO.

Per my painter / body shop peeps, they suggested I hold off on clear bra'ing it for 2-3 months. Apparently there is some type of chemical reaction or w/e that occurs when a piece like this is painted and by applying the 3M Clear Bra too soon, it could damage the piece somehow.

Anyhow, I just kind of temporarily placed the piece onto the floor of my garage in order to obtain some shots that would be representative of how it would kind of look installed.

Check it out:

ChinSpoilerFrontEndShot.jpg

ChinSpoilerTotalPsgrSideShot.jpg

ChinSpoilerDriversTotalSideShot.jpg

ChinSpoilerDriversSideAngleShot.jpg

Whaddya guys / gals think? Me personally, I LOVE IT. I think it will continue to just help set my SHO that much farther apart then the rest of them out there on the road.

Eventually I will place post-install pics here, but in the interim, I just wanted to provide a few teaser shots to the community.

I've been keeping this one under wraps until I actually received the item, so I guess it's cool that I was kind of side tracked with other forums related issues over the last couple of weeks as it pertained to me joining up here on EB/SHO Owner Forums.

Comments, opinions always welcome.

------------------------------------------Mike

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey Mike,

do you know if the SHOx grill is available at all??? i really really would like to get it for mine an have it match my color as well!

btw... that chin spoiler is gonna look Sick on your car!!!!

Not sure if it is available.

I'll get a hold Rick over at RB Designs and place an inquiry on your behalf.

It would help if I had your contact info in the event he gets back to me.

I would suggest PM'ing me your email at the very least, and perhaps a phone number so I can provide it to him acordingly.

I'll keep you posted. I will forewarn you though that it took me a solid 10 months of pestering the boys over at Mobsteel to make the upper/lower mesh grilles for my car.

So if it's not readily available, be prepared to be both patient and persistent.

Not sure if it is available.

I'll get a hold Rick over at RB Designs and place an inquiry on your behalf.

It would help if I had your contact info in the event he gets back to me.

I would suggest PM'ing me your email at the very least, and perhaps a phone number so I can provide it to him acordingly.

I'll keep you posted. I will forewarn you though that it took me a solid 10 months of pestering the boys over at Mobsteel to make the upper/lower mesh grilles for my car.

So if it's not readily available, be prepared to be both patient and persistent.

sounds good mike!

That is bad ass for sure!! I never even gave any thought to the idea of a chin spoiler but that is sick looking! Like mentioned above though, I would end scraping it up like I had my other lowered SHOs and my Lightning is now. And that's just too nice of a piece to mess up!! :thumb:

Showgun and I also discussed the scrapping problem with the chin spoiler. I do have some concern about it since the rubber spoiler on the car does scrap when I leave my driveway no matter how slowly l pull out. So I am anxious to see if Mike has any problem with touching since his car is lowered.

SICKSHO10.....

Just wanted to let you know that I fired off an email directly to Rick over at RB Designs reference your request / product inquiry.

I did include your personal information that you PM'd me, so hopefully he gets back to you directly.

If he replies to me, I will in turn, follow-up with you.

Hope I can be of assistance!

As far as the rest of you and my chin spoiler, i'll keep y'all posted.

I plan on holding off for the duration of this year's winter season here in Chi-Town to install it, and am also currently waiting for the paint process to cure properly (and thoroughly) so that I can get the clear bra stuff wrapped onto the piece prior to final installation onto my SHO.

SICKSHO10.....

Just wanted to let you know that I fired off an email directly to Rick over at RB Designs reference your request / product inquiry.

I did include your personal information that you PM'd me, so hopefully he gets back to you directly.

If he replies to me, I will in turn, follow-up with you.

Hope I can be of assistance!

As far as the rest of you and my chin spoiler, i'll keep y'all posted.

I plan on holding off for the duration of this year's winter season here in Chi-Town to install it, and am also currently waiting for the paint process to cure properly (and thoroughly) so that I can get the clear bra stuff wrapped onto the piece prior to final installation onto my SHO.

thanks mike!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a lil over 30 days since I've received my lower front chin spoiler and had it painted.

As such, I reached out and recalled my local painter who turned me onto a local, authorized 3M Clear Bra Protective Paint Film installer near my residence and I called that outfit today.

I have plans to bring this item to their facility next week for a price quote and susbsequent application of the 3M Clear Bra Film.

After that gets completed, I should be all good to go to commence installation onto the SHO.

So although it's a pain staking process, I'm slowly but surely getting all of my proverbial "ducks in a row" for a productive 2012 Spring Season :thumb:

This will replace the plastic piece on the bumper correct? Do you expect it to sit any lower than that? I really like it, but if it were me I would install something a long the bottom to prevent it from scraping too bad. Maybe a really strong material that has a sticky backing.

Also may I ask what you paid for it? You can pm me if you prefer.

This will replace the plastic piece on the bumper correct? Do you expect it to sit any lower than that? I really like it, but if it were me I would install something a long the bottom to prevent it from scraping too bad. Maybe a really strong material that has a sticky backing.

Also may I ask what you paid for it? You can pm me if you prefer.

Yes this piece will completely replace the textured / dimpled piece of black plastic that runs the entire width of the car & is attached to the bottom portion of the front bumper clip.

I believe there will be an addt'l drop of approx 2" or so.....

I don't have the piece with me as it is currently been dropped off at a shop that applies that 3M paint protection film (a.k.a. clear bra).

So when I get it back, I can measure the actual drop for you. If I recall correctly there is a vertical face edge that drops it about 1.5" or so, then the curved arch that flares back to the rear of the car and transitions into a horizontal (bottom edge) adds another .5" or so.....

As far as the price, not cheap, it was a almost $600 shipped & the paint film is set'n me back another $300.

***This post sent from my DROID3 using the 'Tapatalk' App***

Anxiously awaiting install pics....

It's still at that shop for paint film protection install.

I just dropped it off there this week.

I had to wait about 5 weeks for the paint to cure all the way.

I may get the piece back by next week hopefully, then I gotta figure out some time for install.

Trust me, just as anxious as you and others

***This post sent from my DROID3 using the 'Tapatalk' App***

Spoke to the shop today, they advised that the paint protection film has been applied and went on with relative ease.

They did ask to "hang onto" the piece for a few more days just to ensure it's curing, etc......

It's cold out now here in Chi-Town, especially since we just got whacked with our 1st snowfall of the season that dropped almost 8" of the white stuff across the entire area.

They didn't feel comfortable realeasing it to me right away and then having the film be exposed to the elements.

I also had the occasion to speak with my body shop peeps, and simply because the piece expands the entire length of the front end of the car, I asked if I brought over a couple of cases of cold beer, if they could lend me a hand and help with it's install.

They said sure.

Sssssooooooooooooo......... forward progress still being made, slowly but surely.

Just wanted to let y'all know of the updates. :thumb:

Have you thought about installing some front sensors to let you know how close you are to curbs etc. Would be relatively easy and would save you lots of heartache. GM has kits for the G8 rear, that are about $250. Comes with the beeper and all... 4 sensors that are color coated. Would be easy to make it work... may be even cheaper systems out there. Works just like our backup sensors... faster beep the closer you get.

It has been crappy here in eastern Iowa also. My friend Matt was involved in the first fatality crash of the season on Hwy 38 north of Muscatine. He is a connoisseur of the automotive arts, and is a contributor to my affection to all things with four wheels. He is strong and hopefully will help me get my Corsa exhaust installed correctly when he recovers.

• 3 weeks later...

Pre AND Post Install Pics...... Woo Hoo!

Oh dear God.....

Realizing my limitations, I reached out to my local body shop / painter nearby and practically begged for help installing my lower front chin spoiler I purchased back in Dec. '11.

I'll tell you what fellas, this install was no easy task. Not one stink'n iota whatsoever. Although I am incredibly tired at the moment, as I worked my normal night shift last night, then headed over to the shop late morning, initially speaking, I don't anticipate writing up a "How-To" mod on this install.

I just don't see a lot of you pull'n the trigger on this item, but for those that may actually do so, I'll be more than happy to help answer any install questions and post additional pics as need be.

I would like to formally recognize and thank Advent Auto Body located in Joliet, IL. for doing this install.

I headed over to their facility today and brought with me several cases of "liquid nourishment" to help ease the headaches incurred following this install.

To start off, I spent what little free time I had over the course of the last two days, removing the factory plastic pieces attached to the front bumper clip.

My car looked pretty damn naked roll'n around with various pieces of my front end missing. It was odd to say the least.

So after grab'n a mere 2 hours of shut eye after having worked last night, I headed on over to Advent Auto Body to get the help I needed to install this piece onto my SHO.

The process was painstaking as we had absolutely ZERO install instructions.

We did reach out to the company that produced this item, and they were pretty quick in returning our phone call, however they were absolutely useless when it came to providing any type of install assistance for this particular piece.

So after disconnecting with them, we realized that we were entirely on our own to essentially "wing it".

After several hours of mulling around various install scenarios that focused mainly around mounting this piece and still being able to maintain some level of structural integrity (knowing I'd be driving in excess of 3 digits rather often) we came up with a plan.

The plan included using custom fabricated brackets, special two-part adhesive caulking, and various bolts installed where we deemed necessary.

None of these items were included with my order, other than a generic tube of adhesive caulking and common self-tapping screws (neither of which we used).

Anyhow, the end result has been captured below using my cell phone for the images.

Better pics will be forthcoming, but in the interim, as I am struggling to work through my severe lack of sleep, coupled with me having partaken in some of those liquid nourishments (on an empty stomach I'll add), I wanted to at least get these posted up here so y'all can check 'em out for yourselves:

Pre-Install Pics (total of 3):

LowerFrontChinSpoilerPre-Install1of3.jpg

LowerFrontChinSpoilerPre-Install2of3.jpg

LowerFrontChinSpoilerPre-Install3of3.jpg

Post-Install Pics (total of 5):

LowerFrontChinSpoilerPost-Install1of5.jpg

LowerFrontChinSpoilerPost-Install2of5.jpg

LowerFrontChinSpoilerPost-Install3of5.jpg

LowerFrontChinSpoilerPost-Install4of5.jpg

LowerFrontChinSpoilerPost-Install5of5.jpg

I am very happy at the end result, and this will be yet just one more piece in a line of car mods that will help set my SHO apart from 99% of the others out there.

Hope y'all enjoyed 'em, I'm goin to eat now and hopefully pass out after that. :hungry: :faint:

Archived