Ecoboost Owner Forums

My Flex has a fuel delivery isse....

Yesterday, I was driving in town at about 35 mph and had to brake. Flex stalled for a few seconds and then started running again. Felt like a vapor lock. Today, I was about 80 mi from Clear Lake (100 mi since stall) and running about 70. Entered a construction zone and hit brake, car stalled and wouldn't start. Temp was about 88 deg. Sat for about 1/2 hr, trying to start it. It came close several times and actually sorta fired, but wouldn't rev up or idle. Finally called AAA and had it towed to the closest Ford Dealer. Interestingly, I have had a couple similar stumbles/stalls with my G8, but I attributed those to our excessive heat z(high 90s to 100). It re-started or re-fired immediately, unlike the Flex.

I have been purchasing 93 octane 10% ethanol fuel at Murphy in Mason City, IA... This station is extremely busy and often requires waits for a pump. Even so.. it could be fuel issues due to stalls in both vehicles. Otherwise, it has to be a fuel pump or the DI pump. Flex now has 40,300 on it so if it isn't drive train related... (like the in tank fuel pump) I may be paying $$$$$. Has had STOCK tune in for last 6K, so Ford shouldn't bitch too much.

Opinions? Anyone else experienced anything like this. I haven't seen this on any of the Forums.

If it can't be fixed by Fri. nite, I will be driving my G8 to the SHO National Convention.....

Did you happen to check for any active or pending diagnostic codes as a result of the stall? I keep my bluetooth OBD-II dongle in one of my vehicles with the Torque app on my phone for just these types of reasons. Although fortunately for me my co-workers use it more than I do.

-Rod

Bob...can you log fuel pressure with your SCT? I know I can get it with my Bluetooth adapter and Torque but can't remember about the SCT. I don't believe it goes below 200 PSI or so at idle. You should see what happens to it just to make sure it is a fuel problem. Do these things have a serviceable fuel filter in them? Could yours be clogged (bad tank of gas??)

Bob...can you log fuel pressure with your SCT? I know I can get it with my Bluetooth adapter and Torque but can't remember about the SCT. I don't believe it goes below 200 PSI or so at idle. You should see what happens to it just to make sure it is a fuel problem. Do these things have a serviceable fuel filter in them? Could yours be clogged (bad tank of gas??)

Looks like perhaps there is NO serviceable fuel filter on the Flex... I want to say Bob has a Dashhawk which will in fact monitor the high pressure fuel pressure...

Could perhaps be a tank of bad (water) gas???

Hopefully something simple!

I too thought it was due to heat, but in talking to my wife (I'm out of town) a business friend asked her if we had filled up at Murphy, which we always do, as it is the only 93 source, all others max at 91 now. Anyway, she said that others had reported water in their fuel after filling up there. Probably a condensation issue with their tank(s). They are supposed to pump the water out periodically. My son does lots of computer work for a truck stop, which was explaining this, likely because of the recent hot weather causing more water accumulation than normal in their underground tanks. Dealer didn't call me today, when I was in Rockford, IL, so will call them tomorrow. Got to drive my son's Red GTO stick to IL... has an extremely heavy aftermarket clutch so was interesting. He wouldn't lend me his Yellow one, that used to be mine! No complaints though! Lucky to get there at all! One risky alternative would be to pump in a gallon or 2 of E-85 which should absorb all water... Tempted to do it to G8, but not so sure about doing it to DI system in Flex.

I too thought it was due to heat' date=' but in talking to my wife (I'm out of town) a business friend asked her if we had filled up at Murphy, which we always do, as it is the only 93 source, all others max at 91 now. Anyway, she said that others had reported water in their fuel after filling up there. Probably a condensation issue with their tank(s). They are supposed to pump the water out periodically. My son does lots of computer work for a truck stop, which was explaining this, likely because of the recent hot weather causing more water accumulation than normal in their underground tanks. Dealer didn't call me today, when I was in Rockford, IL, so will call them tomorrow. Got to drive my son's Red GTO stick to IL... has an extremely heavy aftermarket clutch so was interesting. He wouldn't lend me his Yellow one, that used to be mine! No complaints though! Lucky to get there at all! One risky alternative would be to pump in a gallon or 2 of E-85 which should absorb all water... Tempted to do it to G8, but not so sure about doing it to DI system in Flex.[/quote']

Well... if you just had some straight methanol you could put a little bit of that in the tank! ;) The yellow bottle of HEET "gas dryer" is basically 99.9% methanol and will work for my meth kit in a pinch! Although buying it that way is very expensive! I would say try a bottle of HEET... just keep the stock tune in and probably not drive it to hard...

I posted more info on the thread on intermittent stumbling... Many boats around our lake have had issues with ethanol vapor lock, including those with Fuel Injection. Not sure if their systems are looped like my G8's, which are easier to re-start, or non- recirculating like Flex and EB engines. You will note that even after 2 cans of Seafoam to a nearly empty tank, plus a fill up at a Pilot, not at Murphy, I still had G8 stall. Has to be the heat and ethanol, which may be more than the 10%. Terminal may add extra as it is cheaper.

Many stations in our area sell E-85, so there is lots of ethanol in tanks and being made within 40 mi of us.

As for plastidiping Honda... I ran out plastidiping me! Is being in "Black Face" racist, if you use plastidip???? Wasn't my intention, but I got carried away....LOL

Yes,

The wiring to the fuel pump had an issue. I think I caused this when I installed my KB Boost-A-Pump. First tried to install connection near pump, rather than having pump relay between BAP & in tank pump. Still at dealer, but running fine. I'm at the SHO NATL CONV. with BPD1151 (Mike) till Friday. Great Fun.. Highly recommend!

• 2 weeks later...

EBB texted me yesterday saying he's been having difficulty logging into EBOF for reason(s) unknown to me.

Be patient awaiting for his reply here as I believe it's being worked on. Not entirely sure what the issue is, but wanted to let the rest of you know.

Hopefully no one else experiencing any issues with the forums since the update(s) occurred :noidea:

Archived