Ecoboost Owner Forums

Those who have tune, what MPGs you seeing?

Stage 4+ - 1500 mi trip FL-IA arrived yesterday. 19.9 mpg averaging 73.1mph (gps) Stock 20"wheels - RS-A's at 40 lbs. Loaded -

Honest opinion... I don't see much difference between any of my performance tunes as far as mpg goes. All are pretty close and the variation could be due to outside conditions, like temp, wind, traffic etc.

They are also similar to what I was getting when stock back in the beginning of time! I'm very HAPPY... decent mileage and fantastic power!

I understand that Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning has done some MPG tunes that are available free if you have his tune package. I did not ask for them because I would rather someone else see how they work over time. Likely they must be running leaner but since I never asked probably shouldn't speculate on how the mileage is increased.

I must be the exception to the rule...running Stage 4+ and my normal non-aggressive driving I am right in the 24.5 mpg range consistently. I also believe that Showgun is in that range and maybe a bit higher. I will add that if I do drive aggressively the mileage will go to the 17-19 mpg range like the other guys.

I must be the exception to the rule...running Stage 4+ and my normal non-aggressive driving I am right in the 24.5 mpg range consistently. I also believe that Showgun is in that range and maybe a bit higher. I will add that if I do drive aggressively the mileage will go to the 17-19 mpg range like the other guys.

True Mark. I drive fairly conservatively and get mid 20's on average with some hwy and city miles.

I'm sure if I were more aggressive that my mileage would be in the teens.

I have done a long range check on the sho with only stage 4 and gotten 30'ish at hwy speeds and was very pleased with that.

C.

It must be my driving then. I must be aggressive and not even know it. Down to about 12.7 now. Longest drive in it, in a week, has been about 7 miles. I live 2.5 miles from work. 93 octane in her. Stock airbox back in 2+ weeks ago (forgot to mention that in the 1st post). Running Stage 4+. For whatever reason I seem to remember 16.8 - 17 something with the airaid in it and Stage 4+. Could the change in the airbox really do that much by itself?

It must be my driving then. I must be aggressive and not even know it. Down to about 12.7 now. Longest drive in it' date=' in a week, has been about 7 miles. I live 2.5 miles from work. 93 octane in her. Stock airbox back in 2+ weeks ago (forgot to mention that in the 1st post). Running Stage 4+. For whatever reason I seem to remember 16.8 - 17 something with the airaid in it and Stage 4+. Could the change in the airbox really do that much by itself?[/quote']

I don't think the Airaid would be worth 3-4 MPG. Some of it has to be your driving style. I bet your MPG would increase a lot if you had a longer drive to work. If the 2.5 miles is city driving then I'd say the 17MPG you were getting before is actually very good. I don't even think the car will warm up all the way in 2.5 miles. :lol:

It must be my driving then. I must be aggressive and not even know it. Down to about 12.7 now. Longest drive in it' date=' in a week, has been about 7 miles. I live 2.5 miles from work. 93 octane in her. Stock airbox back in 2+ weeks ago (forgot to mention that in the 1st post). Running Stage 4+. For whatever reason I seem to remember 16.8 - 17 something with the airaid in it and Stage 4+. Could the change in the airbox really do that much by itself?[/quote']

What about the weather? Has it been a lot colder? Cold could reduce your MPG. Also does your gas change to a winter blend?

As for the Airaid, i think i picked up a couple MPG... but then I ran slower at the track so it now sits on a shelf...

Short drives and cold weather kills your mileage, don't worry. The airbox change would have a very marginal effect on mileage at best.

Have you done an actual mpg check or are you just going by the 'puter display? There could be a small discrepancy there.

C.

Ben,

Why did you switch back to stock air box? I just leave my Home Made Contraption Air Box Wantabee on all the time!

IMG_5582.jpg

OOPS!!! Wrong Car! This is the Roto Fab CAI on my 09' G8 GT.

Here it is!!!

IMG_0861.jpg

The reason I posted the pix of my G8 GT CAI is that the two use the same Roto Fab "J" pipe. Roto Fab had a problem with some of the originals and sent replacements to all customers.

Since I had nothing to lose, I used it in my Brick. It is reversed, with the IAT sensor mounted in the brass fitting. The filter is an AEM, but easily could be a K & N. Because of the openness I felt it was desirable to add a Filter cover. Inside the fittings that connect the "J" pipe to the turbos, I have inserted a hard piece of PVC that is flared so that the air flow thru this area can flow smoothly.

IMG_2279.jpg

If you look closely you can see that I placed a plastic tray/diverter under the intake, to help keep the hotter air from the radiator/engine away from the filter.

This one shows how open my front is.

IMG_0734.jpg

JERRY RIGGING EXTRAORDINARE!!!!!:party:

What about the weather? Has it been a lot colder? Cold could reduce your MPG. Also does your gas change to a winter blend?

It has finally gotten to near normal temps for this time of year here. So, yes, it is cooler. Not sure about the switch to winter blend, but that could be play a role here.

I am not convinced of it's benefit. And the less performance orientated mods for a dealer to see when getting serviced' date=' the better in my mind.[/quote']

At least at my dealer I have been up front about the tune and they have seen the Airaid several times...I think that developing a trusting relationship with the service department benefits both sides. I know they have never questioned any mods I have done to any of my vehicles. That being said, I do go to a small family owned dealership and have taken coffee and donuts for the guys in service on more then one occasion..so I never have a problem with them when it comes to dealing with my vehicles.

It has finally gotten to near normal temps for this time of year here. So' date=' yes, it is cooler. Not sure about the switch to winter blend, but that could be play a role here.[/quote']

I have been keeping fuel use records since I got my F-150 in late 1997 and I can tell you that I know exactly when they change to the winter blend for Pennsylvania. My mileage always drops 1.2-1.8 MPG regardless of vehicle. A friend who has been in the gas business since we were in high school believes that the ethanol that they increase in the winter is mostly responsible for the decrease I see in mileage...although technically he also believes it probably does increase the octane a bit.

I don't think the Airaid would be worth 3-4 MPG. Some of it has to be your driving style. I bet your MPG would increase a lot if you had a longer drive to work. If the 2.5 miles is city driving then I'd say the 17MPG you were getting before is actually very good. I don't even think the car will warm up all the way in 2.5 miles. :lol:

I believe you are right on with these comments. I know the best increase I have seen with the Airaid is about .8 MPG. Further, I also agree that the short drive has a real negative impact on fuel economy. I know that my mileage will be in the 21-22 range if I do short hops in the car, but I can do a longer distance (100+ miles) of highway driving on the interstate at 70-75MPH and will see my mileage routinely be in the 28-30 mpg range.

What I found strange on my trip back to IA from FL this week, is that my mileage actually increased substantially the second day out. While I was forced (by speed limits) to drive a bit slower, I got 19.1 the first day, ending in southern Illinois. The final part of the trip (about 500 of the 1,500 miles) our mileage increased to 19.9... which means we got approximately 2.5-3.0 miles better mpg, in an area which likely had winter blend.

Fueled up in Paducah, KY and in Hannibal, MO.

Yesterday I filled up here in Cedar Falls, IA at Murphy. Mileage to empty was around 340. Drove around town ( 25-50 mph - some stoplights) and the DTE has gone up to 363! Is my Brick pulling my leg????

Comments... please...

What I found strange on my trip back to IA from FL this week, is that my mileage actually increased substantially the second day out. While I was forced (by speed limits) to drive a bit slower, I got 19.1 the first day, ending in southern Illinois. The final part of the trip (about 500 of the 1,500 miles) our mileage increased to 19.9... which means we got approximately 2.5-3.0 miles better mpg, in an area which likely had winter blend.

Fueled up in Paducah, KY and in Hannibal, MO.

Yesterday I filled up here in Cedar Falls, IA at Murphy. Mileage to empty was around 340. Drove around town ( 25-50 mph - some stoplights) and the DTE has gone up to 363! Is my Brick pulling my leg????

Comments... please...

I've seen that too, Bob, and it's quite normal since the computer is recalculating your fuel-up on your better hwy mileage.

That DTE quickly goes down while driving around town.

C.

Archived