Ecoboost Owner Forums

Leaking Turbo?

Question for you gear-heads, I have noticed a drop in performance in my 2010 SHO after I had the front cat replaced. So I started checking some things on my engine and found that the front delivery tube from the inter-cooler has oil in it. My question is does this sound like the seal in the turbo is leaking? Is the only way to get oil in that tube from the compressor from the turbo? I see from the TSB's that there has been an turbo leaking problem, but it looks as though they have all been external. Has anyone else come across an internal leak with their car. It just seems like its not building boost like it used to. Thanks

is it a lot of oil???

Remember that your intake is breathing oil fumes every single time your car runs. after a while you do get some oil accumulation in the intercooler and charge pipe. That's why some people plug of the hole in the intake and install a breather filter on the valve cover or a catch can between the cover and the intake.

^^^what he said^^^ the vent for the valve cover on the front goes to the tube that ONLY feeds the front turbo, which is why you won't see any oil in the rear turbo piping. If it's just a thin film, that's normal, if it's dripping out, that's a leaking turbo.

OK thanks guys, ya what I found seems to be a light film....so I wiped it out and will check again. My baby has 41000 on her now and this is the first time the charging tube has been removed so a thin coat if normal is to be expected. Just kinda at odds as to what would be the cause in a drop in performance, after the cat was replaced. The dealer did tell me that they used an after market cat not an oem part. So this has got me to thinking that maybe the oem cat for the SHO is different than what they installed, causing a drop in performance? I guess I have some digging to do.

Strange. I dont recall anything about Ford using a high flow cat. THis maybe a long shot but you need to check it anyway, knock sensor wires.. I first read it on the shoforum, but there is probably a post on here as well. The harness going to the knock sensor can have bare wires rubbing against metal. Guys experience power and fuel economy loss when the wires rub through and the cause the sensor to send a false signal. I tied mine up with a zip tie.

Like I said it may not be your problem, but it is good to check for anyway. I can post a pick if you cant find an old thread with pics.

I only have 1 other idea and you would need somebody that has done programming to validate if it is possible.... When I completed my Coyote swap it wasnt as strong as it should have been, and had some glitches. I took it to the tuner and he said Ford Racing set the tune with shorties, and I used long tubes. Problem with that is the running temp of my o2 sensor changed and the program wasnt prepared for it.

Could installing a different cat change the o2 sensor temp enough to throw things off? I dont know the answer, just a thought.

Strange. I dont recall anything about Ford using a high flow cat.

Could installing a different cat change the o2 sensor temp enough to throw things off? I dont know the answer, just a thought.

FYI... The Cat temp on my EB Flex is much lower(a few hundred degrees) than the CAT temp on my Pontiac G8's, according to my DashHawk. So, if the new cat runs hotter, that indeed could be the issue.

Archived