Ecoboost Owner Forums

Decisions decisions

Roco27

Got a 2012 Eco that's is killing me because I want to tune it but I have 125000 mile bumper to bumper warranty that cost me a good chunk of change. Was wondering what if any of you have tried the unichip? They claim it does not void your warranty because it is inline and does not reflash the ECM. I am not worried about an increase in mpg because the company I work for pays all my gas I just want this truck to have the power it deserves. Coming from a lightning it does seem a little sluggish. Btw I am new to this sight and this is my first post. Thanks for replies

Welcome!

As for this unichip that you are describing... Sounds like one of those scam type setups with no real power gains... just a drain on your wallet... If you really want more power you are going to need to tune.

As your extended warranty... yes, if you tune and your engine fails it fails Ford may not cover it... so a tune might cause them to flag your power train, however the rest of the warranty would still be intact, like if you stereo dies, or the windows stop working... Other option would be to cancel the extended warranty and get a pro-rated refund.... or wait until 125,001 miles. ;)

I agree with Scrming...sounds like a rip....I remember when I bought my Superchips for my truck, some other people were getting other brands that ended up damaging both electronics and engines. I think you are much better going with a proven performer, instead of something that is unknown.

i say this to everyone that has issues with tuning a car under warranty;

wether you tune it now(under warranty) or later, you still have to pay up if something breaks. so why not just do it now and enjoy 440+HP with the same reliability of being stock. these EB 3.5s are stout.[/iQUOTE]

I like that way of thinking. I am warranteed to 2015 and did it anyway. What also convinced me is that my dealer sucks. So, even for things under warranty, I've simply start to repair them myself because it is just easier.

i say this to everyone that has issues with tuning a car under warranty;

wether you tune it now(under warranty) or later, you still have to pay up if something breaks. so why not just do it now and enjoy 440+HP with the same reliability of being stock. these EB 3.5s are stout.[/iQUOTE]

I like that way of thinking. I am warranteed to 2015 and did it anyway. What also convinced me is that my dealer sucks. So, even for things under warranty, I've simply start to repair them myself because it is just easier.

For the most part, my sentiments exactly. Dealers vary greatly in the service department (mine's OK), but i still do the work myself. Save your receipts if you do your own oil changes and maintenance because they can also void the warranty without proof of service.

I plan on putting the tune in once I get to the 1-2K mark, just to be sure that there a no "new car" bugs.

There is something to be said about driving the car for a few thousand miles before installing a tune. You get the "feel" of the car in that time, and then once you install the tune you can really see how much it improves the car...I know I had the car for about 6 months and 4000 miles before I installed the tune.