Ecoboost Owner Forums

Darrell's Methanol Injection Install

I've had a few questions about the Livernois/Alky Control Methanol Kit and figured I'd post some photos of Darrell's install here.

Livernois Motorsports "Alky" methanol injection kit for the Taurus SHO allows for better cooling of the intake air charge which results in a denser air charge for more efficient power. It's a progressive system designed for 100% methonal.

Includes:

Pump

Controller

High quality hoses, lines, and fittings

Nozzle

3-Bar MAP sensor

(2) Plastic reservoirs so you are able to retain the windshield washer function. (Small remote tank to fill and a 2 qt. tank to hold the fluid; the OEM tank will be the meth tank)

2-Stage LED Light that shows when the system is priming and activated/spraying. If the methanol level is low, the light will go from green to red.

Most people would open the hood and never see anything out of the ordinary, the kit is very well hidden.

Pump

DSC_0340.jpg

Washer fluid tank is now the methanol tank and the 2 qt. tank is the new washer fluid tank

DSC_0342.jpg

Remote fill tank for new washer fluid tank

DSC_0943.jpg

DSC_0945.jpg

Nozzle

nozzle.jpg

2-Stage LED Indicator

DSC_1204.jpg

This kit can be found on our website here

Thank you,

Rick

Rick,

Didn't see this as the "New Posts" get updated sometimes without me around.

Responded to it over on the "other" F....

Here were my Q's... Some were answered with the link to your website.. Thought you might want to answer them here instead, or in more complete form. Alky Control Products are definitely top notch...especially with the braided lines. Guess that's the only way on can use 100% methanol, considerin it's volatility.

Nice Job.. Did you move the "Low Windshield Washer" sensor to the new smaller tank?

Otherwise, we already have a low fluid sensor on our WW tanks.

What size is the Methanol Spray Nozzle?

Where is the BOOST/Pump Controller mounted, and at what pressure does it start spraying? Is it set based on the Dyno results, or can Darreli manually adjust it?

Lastly, about how much does all this hardware cost, and how much for the Dyno tuning to make it work properly?

I can answer a couple of those questions and I'm also gonna post a few more pics like the pump mounting and stuff once I get in front of my computer. It uses a #10 nozzle and it's boost controlled...not exactly sure where it starts as that was all part of the dyno tuning. The actual controller is mounted under the dash. I guess I could change the settings as I have access to it, but I'm not sure why I'd want to mess with them since it was adjusted on a dyno.

Forgot one question. No...I wanted the Low WW sensor to stay on the the tank holding the Methanol. That way when the low fluid alert comes up I know it's time to add methanol. It's not really critical if I run out of windshield washer fluid...I'll just fill it when I get home.

All the hardware minus the brackets for the pump and the slave WW tank come with the kit unless Livernois installs it, then it's part of the install price.

As far as cost of install/tuning....I have to let Rick answer that

Thanks Bob!

Darrell answered most of the questions. The kit itself is $800.00 and if you already purchased a tuning device from us, it's roughly an additional $200 to dyno tune.

You are correct, the WW tank has a low fluid sensor, but this light is green when it's spraying and red when it's low. Darrell's car still has it in the OEM WW tank as well.

-Rick

Thanks for your responses... Thought "D" had told me it was a #10. I am using a #7, but plan on going to #10 and also have a #12.

I added a light that shows when it's spraying on my setup that is located in my line of sight. Is a replacement turning socket from a Chrysler product that I mounted near my wipers. Big amber bulb shows when it's spraying.

I didn't add a second tank, because I can pump out the fluid (W/M) or W/W) before and after returning to the strip. Besides... Methanol does a great job of cleaning windshield, especially when it catches fire!!!! Burns:RpS_w00t: the bug deposits to a crisp!!!!!! OOPS...:tape: I never run more than a 50/50 mix!!!!:RpS_biggrin::RpS_biggrin::deadhorse:

Back to reality... Is the Alky Control pump mounted below the tank? Just wondering if it gets water/salt etc. when driving in rain or slush? Know they use a really nice vinyl cover over pump. Good area to keep it cool though.

Rick' date=' when you buy the kit, there is no additional tune for it??? What kind of benefit would you get if it wasn't tuned???[/b']

I'm willing to bet Rick's gonna tell you that using the meth kit w/o tuning for it, is a huge no no......

Ofcoourse I'm gonna guess that you already expected this answer, but I'll defer the ultimate answer to your inquiry to Rick himself.

I'm willing to bet Rick's gonna tell you that using the meth kit w/o tuning for it, is a huge no no......

Ofcoourse I'm gonna guess that you already expected this answer, but I'll defer the ultimate answer to your inquiry to Rick himself.

I briefly talked with Rick about just installing the W/M without tuning and using it strictly as a safety net.. The message I got was without tuning you will end making less power due to running very rich... that you really want to tune for W/M to at least some degree... Again, hopefully Rick will comment

• 1 month later...

Well, since I spent literally two entire days detailing the car earlier this week, I was watching the weather forecast for tonight, and tomorrow morning, looks like rain, rain, and more rain.

Therefore, I took the time today (while it was still dry and temps close to 70 degrees) to drive the SHO over to the shop and park it there.

I'll be starting my meth injection kit install and also hooking up the gauges I ordered tomorrow morning.

My mechanic pal estimates about a 10-11 hour install job total, but he already warned me he can only spare about 3 hours or so per day helping me out.

So hopefully she'll be all done by the end of this coming week and i'll be motoring around like Darrell with a lil more added fun under the gas pedal :car:

Definitely look'n forward to it as this has been a project that's been placed on hold for way too long :whoo:

Well, since I spent literally two entire days detailing the car earlier this week, I was watching the weather forecast for tonight, and tomorrow morning, looks like rain, rain, and more rain.

Therefore, I took the time today (while it was still dry and temps close to 70 degrees) to drive the SHO over to the shop and park it there.

I'll be starting my meth injection kit install and also hooking up the gauges I ordered tomorrow morning.

My mechanic pal estimates about a 10-11 hour install job total, but he already warned me he can only spare about 3 hours or so per day helping me out.

So hopefully she'll be all done by the end of this coming week and i'll be motoring around like Darrell with a lil more added fun under the gas pedal :car:

Definitely look'n forward to it as this has been a project that's been placed on hold for way too long :whoo:

COOL!

I know Rick pointed out that installing the Alky kit was labor intensive... Not exactly sure how many actual hours it took to install the kit in the Flex but we ended up doing it over two Saturdays....

I'm heading down to Livernois on Friday to get the Red Brick of Vengeance tuned!!! Then it's just a matter of waiting until the track opens on March 31st! WOOHOO!!

What times are you hoping for with the kit Scrming?

C.

Good question.... in theory I should be able to pick up a 1/2 second... but I think i will be happy with even .4.... Not sure where this will put me though... Last fall my best ET was 13.41. Since then I did the MRT axle back and the TSW lightweight wheels. Tracks are still closed so I don't know what impact those two things will have... BUT... it looks like those two items have knocked a couple of tenths off my 0-60 MPH time... So i think once we tune for the methanol I should be joining the 12 second club!

Thanks! Will keep everyone posted.... (is it Friday yet? LOL)

I saw your clone today at the Naples Zoo... EB & all!!!

FYI... I have paid him to steal your car and replace it with his next week when he gets back to MI... Reminded him to switch out wheels so you couldn't tell!!!!! So if your times go up into the high 13's... don't be surprised!!!!!!

With the right air.... you should be able to beat my times. --- though I haven't revealed....ALL... of my performance secrets...

I saw your clone today at the Naples Zoo... EB & all!!!

FYI... I have paid him to steal your car and replace it with his next week when he gets back to MI... Reminded him to switch out wheels so you couldn't tell!!!!! So if your times go up into the high 13's... don't be surprised!!!!!!

With the right air.... you should be able to beat my times. --- though I haven't revealed....ALL... of my performance secrets...

Well, he better swap soon! Hoping to get the Flex in the paint booth this weekend... although that is a big maybe due to the paint booth schedule..

Archived