Ecoboost Owner Forums

I Love my new K&N Typhoon..

Good question about the IAT temps, but where I live the weather is now cool and dont sit in traffic very much..Summer time I'll do some data logging..Today I took a 82mi trip on some side roads..temp was 47 out and when I got home I popped the hood after like 2min. I put my hand on the pipe and was warm but not hot..The filter was nice and cool. I belive K&N should of used plastic piping like the JLT intakes that I always used on my 04 cobra. I got this mostly for noise fluff anyway and sounds and performs great with my magnaflow CB. & stg2 tune..Waa!!

I kinda thought about that when I did the install. Possibly adding tube on the fender side of the airaid box, and run it behind the grill, or down to the front bumper. Cheap quick idea, was just getting rid of the one wall of the box thats behind the headlight, instead of the tube.

I might even pick up a new filter (S&B powerstack) even better than the K&N filter......

41KborquZRL.jpg

Ok, seeing as no one has asked yet.....

How, or why, is the S&B "Powerstack" filter better than the K&N products?

I am curious for an explanation.

I have very little, if any desire to change CAI setups, primarily due to the fact I have functional engine hood vents cut into my SHO hood, so I am already benefiting from more direct, actual cold air being sucked in (than the rest of you are that is).....

But I may be game for a filter swap if a reasonable explanation can be provided as to why this product is allegedly superior.

Also Tom, it doesn't look like S&B has a direct filter product # available, therefore, a Universal one would be in order.....

Any idea on what to roll with as far as size, diameter, style, etc. for the swap in relation to the Airaid filter product?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Interested only in the differences of filters at this point.

Between this S&B product, versus the K&N.

As I explained above I have no desire to swap out my CAI entirely.

Haha I feel stupid. Mike I thought you had posted that you swappee to the KN. #retreatingstupidly

Me personally I haven't been a fan of K&N. Back years ago when I had my VW G60 corrado I found many guys that trashed there OEM air boxes to go to a conical K&N filter quickly found out there super chargers where quickly wear out due dirt and stuff that get buy these oil soaked gauss filters. Now with that said the G-ladder super charger on these cars are very different then any other type of super charge out there and due to there design the air going into them had to be kept absolutely clean of dirt. And they where not whinny like roots or lysholm type super chargers, more of a throbbing drone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Lader

In my opinion I like the S&B powerstacks because their filter is not capped off at the end like the K&N's. The S&B powerstack I belive has a bit more of a cfm rate but not by much..I just orderded the 9inch powerstack with the 3.5 Flange just for kicks and giggles and Im gonna bolt it on the K&N intake tube..Lol..Yea I guess I like to tinker too!!

Ooooooo k.

Opinion only in that case. Do you have anyone you deal with over there?

I may call them and ask for test results, and/or side by side comparo's between their product versus K&N, or their product versus Airaid.

I like the concept of the end not being capped off. As it applies to our design and that inlet on the front.

I'm thinking that I could (but don't know w/o definitive testing) that more air could be passing through not only that front inlet, but then I also have those hood vents.

I'm interested, but would like something of a more substantive value than just mere opinion.

Unless of course you care to do some leg work and check into it?

I think ill probably look into running a tube from the front bumper first. But my 2nd idea was just remove that same section he did' date=' but I probably would of removed more of that wall than he did.[/quote']

Kolk that was my idea. I cut the side out and thought I would make a custom ram air set up to run into the side. I bought some plastic tubing but havent done anything besides cut the side of the box out... :)

That K&N is sharp for sure. Think this year I am sticking with the Airaid though.