Ecoboost Owner Forums

I Love my new K&N Typhoon..

Thanks for that part number' date=' But I think I mis-spoke myself, I meant to ask, what is the S&B Part number for the Airaid 720-479 filter?[/b']

Since fellow EBOF member tomc612 mentioned the possibility of a matching product produced by S&B, as it relates to their line of "powerstack" filters.....

I have taken it upon myself to open up a dialogue with S&B to find out for myself.

I took the time to remove my current Airaid filter, measure it as requested, and then let them take a look.

It was confirmed by Mr. Karl Levy of S&B Filters, that they DO NOT have any filter in their current product line that would work as a replacement of the Airaid filter alone.

I was thanked for my inquiry and politely told "sorry".

So there 'ya have it. No applicable part in their inventory exists or is compatible.

Too bad, cuz I hear they even do colors, and thought it'd be cool to have a blue filtering element material to compliment the blue Ford logo's.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

The S&B filter is shorter and is not a restriction on our cars,this filter can handle 550 hp..Sometimes bigger isnt always better.

.059-3.jpg

058-3.jpg

063-3.jpg

032-4.jpg

023-7.jpg

037-3.jpg

033-3.jpg

Put the S&B 9inch on just for fun and sounds great!! I dont think I'm going to stick with this for long..got to find or make some kind of heat shieild.This seems even louder!

040-6.jpg

051-3.jpg

047-3.jpg048-4.jpg

This is what Paulford8 did to his Airaid.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1557[/ATTACH]

Kolk that was my idea. I cut the side out and thought I would make a custom ram air set up to run into the side. I bought some plastic tubing but havent done anything besides cut the side of the box out... :)

That K&N is sharp for sure. Think this year I am sticking with the Airaid though.

PAUL & KOLK HERE ARE MY MOD's TO MY AIRAID. I like the K&N but the AIRAID look more factory installed. I LIKE THAT LOOK BETTER!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1583[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]1584[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]1585[/ATTACH]

post-237-142532289766_thumb.jpg

post-237-142532289771_thumb.jpg

post-237-142532289775_thumb.jpg

post-237-142532289766_thumb.jpg

post-237-142532289771_thumb.jpg

post-237-142532289775_thumb.jpg

Looks good but I am sticking with the Airaid' date=' they have been a sponsor here from the start and David at Airaid has given us GREAT customer support...which is something I didn't get from K&N![/quote']

X2. I had a question about my Airaid when installing mine and I called them, and I actually got a live person, immediately. The install was also a breeze with all the required hardware being there. I have heard complaints over the years about missing hardware with the K&N units, but it doesn't sound like this was an issue with this install. I also tried to call k&n with a question about their different series intakes, and never really got a satisfactory answer. I will still continue to buy k&n drop in filters for my wife's cars, but for an intake, Airaid has earned my business and I also appreciate them being a sponsor here for us.

I have 2 questions:

I recently purchased my first SHO and I am on the fence on whether to even get a CAI, but I came across the Volant Powercore filters, which is new to me. Is anyone familiar with these, or know anyone that can speak to whether they are a good option for our engine-type? They are listed on their site: http://www.volant.com/filters.asp?filterType=powercore and also on this site: http://www.autoanything.com/air-filters/65A3649A0A0.aspx

I could not find any clear evidence that these filters are worth the money. Also, I had a very nice CAI on my last car, and it drove me nuts because it always whistled at lower rpms. I am not expecting performance gains, but definitely love the more aggressive sound, and would especially love to hear some of that turbo at work, but if it is at the expense of other annoying noises like that whistle from the throttle plate.

Thanks!

I have 2 questions:

I recently purchased my first SHO and I am on the fence on whether to even get a CAI, but I came across the Volant Powercore filters, which is new to me. Is anyone familiar with these, or know anyone that can speak to whether they are a good option for our engine-type?

I could not find any clear evidence that these filters are worth the money. Also, I had a very nice CAI on my last car, and it drove me nuts because it always whistled at lower rpms. I am not expecting performance gains, but definitely love the more aggressive sound, and would especially love to hear some of that turbo at work, but if it is at the expense of other annoying noises like that whistle from the throttle plate.

Thanks!

Both good questions, I have known people that had the Volant filters and they never had a problem with them, but I have not personally had one.

As far as the 2nd question, is it worth money...depends what you expect from the CAI. One, since they are reusable, in the long run they will save over the price of replacing the filter, but that's a long term thing. I did experience very slight mileage improvement with the Airaid, but it was minimal...talking like .2-.4 mpg better. Also I have gotten no annoying noise from the Airaid, I believe because it is sealed fairly well. Also, I put a pre-filter on the filter and it really reduces the dirt that gets to the filter, thus reducing the need to clean it as often. Also I can't really say that there is much more noise with acceleration, but I do know that people are impressed with the look of the Airaid CAI when looking at the engine bay. Last, we have found that Airaid is very good with their customer support and are a sponsor here, so most of us with the Airaid really have nothing but good things to say about their CAI, their people, and their support.

I went ahead and picked up two new filters for my new K&N kit..Universal S&B, Flange ID 6, Top OD 5.25, Element Height 8, Top Style: Black Rim w/ Power Stack #R0928..and I got the Universal K&N Part RF-1041,Height: 7.5 in (191 mm) Inside Diameter: 6 in.Both filters fit just right if you take your time.The S&B is a bit tighter fit,,but it fits. Im going to make a few ajustments so it fits perfect..

006-5.jpg

Running the K&N RF-1041 for now.

023-8.jpg

028-5.jpg

009-1.jpg

050-3.jpg

035-6.jpg

024-4.jpg

018-7.jpg

030-4.jpg

042-5.jpg

Both good questions, I have known people that had the Volant filters and they never had a problem with them, but I have not personally had one.

As far as the 2nd question, is it worth money...depends what you expect from the CAI. One, since they are reusable, in the long run they will save over the price of replacing the filter, but that's a long term thing. I did experience very slight mileage improvement with the Airaid, but it was minimal...talking like .2-.4 mpg better. Also I have gotten no annoying noise from the Airaid, I believe because it is sealed fairly well. Also, I put a pre-filter on the filter and it really reduces the dirt that gets to the filter, thus reducing the need to clean it as often. Also I can't really say that there is much more noise with acceleration, but I do know that people are impressed with the look of the Airaid CAI when looking at the engine bay. Last, we have found that Airaid is very good with their customer support and are a sponsor here, so most of us with the Airaid really have nothing but good things to say about their CAI, their people, and their support.

I appreciate the thorough response! I think I would need to see a bit more from those Volant PowerCore filters before dropping that kind of money on just a filter. The Airraid CAI set seems to be the popular choice for the SHO. I suppose for me, a CAI is more for the aggressive sound as all other gains are hardly noticeable.

I just had to go outside to check to see what you were talkingabout. You are correct, with the Airaid, access to the transmission check is obstructed. I am able to push really hard and cram my hand down in there to get to it, but I doubt that anybody I am paying to change my oil will actually cram their hand in to check it. I scuffed up my knuckles in the process. Thanks for alerting me to this so that it did not come as a surprise when I actually wanted to check the transmission fluid. I honestly did not realize it was going to be an issue when I was installing the Airaid. Not a huge deal, but definitely something to consider when choosing, especially if you have really big hands. Lol.

and judging by the pics, it looks like the k&n does a good job of sealing off hot air from the motor. One thing though is it doesnt use the factory air "inlet" that the factory intake and Airaid use. But I have a k&n on my foxbody and I love it. So...keep us up on how you like it over time.

Yes, the K&N Kit draws cooler air from the fender..filter was cool to the touch even with the hood shut for 25 min on that 61 degree day wee had lastweek.And yea..check or get a big funnel and change your atf..lol! My hand fit in there no problem.Plus I belive your filter will stay cleaner too.This kit is Awsome!!

008_zpsead36902.jpg

033-4.jpg

and judging by the pics' date=' it looks like the k&n does a good job of sealing off hot air from the motor. One thing though is it doesnt use the factory air "inlet" that the factory intake and Airaid use. But I have a k&n on my foxbody and I love it. So...keep us up on how you like it over time.[/quote']

The K&N comes with a special scoop that slides/bolts- in the factory air inlet/scoop slot..The Airaid does the same as it's built in as one piece.