Ecoboost Owner Forums

ST first impressions ( long read )

Went by the local ford dealer last week just to shoot the crap since I just moved and they will now be servicing my SHO an cobra. While there I perused the new ford lineup.

They had 5 GT500s, 4 Raptors and a bunch of sweet STs. I have been toying with the idea of trading the SHO for one since I'm single an have no children and could use a smaller more sporty daily driver.

At first glance it was beautiful. It was black and fully loaded with nav, recaros and all the other bells and whistles. Right up my alley. After bsing with the salesman for about 30 minutes he could see I am obviously a guy who knows his performance cars. So we grabbed the keys and off we went.

My girlfriend was with me and the dealer let us take off by ourselves. The dash read 17 miles until empty. My first thought was how soft the clutch was an how much gas you have to give it to take off initially. Once I got rolling it was game on!

I got out on a straight and loaded it up and dumped the clutch. It had a slight lag but not bad. Then it took off. Didn't feel as fast as the SHO but still felt quick. I power shifted to second and stayed in it. That's when it happened.

There was a horrible clunking noise that sounded like I broke the driveshaft! I couldn't believe it. So I tried it again and it did it again. I looked at my girlfriend and she said "that's not good". Mind you, she drives a pullied and tuned 2012 GT500.

We continued the test drive and took some tight corners which it took like a freaking champ! The car is nimble as crap. We had gone maybe 3-4 miles as the gas gauge read 5 miles to empty!!!! That's crazy.

Anyways the dealer replicated the issue and he said he would have the service department check it out. Either way I will be sticking with the SHO for a little whole longer. Wondering of this problem is something they all have or if its just an anomaly.

Sent from my iPhone while I should be working.

its the rear motor mount. common issues on torquey turbo 4s.

Yep, replaced my RMM almost immediately... Replaced the top, passenger side motor mount last week, but won't be able to really try it out until Spring... or if we get the freak 60 degree day again! LOL!

The new RMM, reduced the solid CLUNK on the 1-2 to a much more subtle thud.. also, happens less often. It also reduced wheel hop. Hoping the new top mount will improve things even more...

Wow. Good job trashing someone else's new car.

Not cool dumping the clutch and power shift a car you don't own.

Sorry, but not a story I would brag about.

So sorry Mr.High and Mighty. I apologize for seriously considering purchasing a new Ford "performance" vehicle and driving it in a spirited manner. Only a schmuck would spend money on something without fully testing and understand its true performance capabilities. So according to you when a car magazine takes a new vehicle, which they don't own, and puts them through rigorous tests like skid pads, 1/4 mile, 0-60, 60-0, and dynos you think they shouldn't brag about it by writing a good article? Let me guess, you are a middle aged gentleman who never takes his Ecoboost "performance vehicle" above 3k rpm. Do me a favor, take your pretentious, derogatory, holier than thou posts elsewhere. Thanks.

On another note, as I stated in my OP, the dealer was able to replicate the loud clunking noise. Wonder how he did that? Maybe by driving it the same way I did.

Mods, I apologize in advance but I have been on this site for a while and was hoping to avoid posts like that. Unfortunately I was just hoping to shed some light on a new ecoboost vehicle. Didn't plan on getting bashed.

Actually, I'm not an idiot. I'm a 4 time Iraq war Army veteran who has served honorably for the last 12 years, defending your right to call me an idiot. And when I want to spend my HARD earned money on a product I want to make sure it does what it's advertised to do. E-thugs like you are quick to bash on people over the Internet because you think you can hide behind your IP address and live in anonymity. Don't worry sooner or later you will call the wrong person an idiot in person.

So sorry Mr.High and Mighty. I apologize for seriously considering purchasing a new Ford "performance" vehicle and driving it in a spirited manner. Only a schmuck would spend money on something without fully testing and understand its true performance capabilities. So according to you when a car magazine takes a new vehicle, which they don't own, and puts them through rigorous tests like skid pads, 1/4 mile, 0-60, 60-0, and dynos you think they shouldn't brag about it by writing a good article? Let me guess, you are a middle aged gentleman who never takes his Ecoboost "performance vehicle" above 3k rpm. Do me a favor, take your pretentious, derogatory, holier than thou posts elsewhere. Thanks.

On another note, as I stated in my OP, the dealer was able to replicate the loud clunking noise. Wonder how he did that? Maybe by driving it the same way I did.

Mods, I apologize in advance but I have been on this site for a while and was hoping to avoid posts like that. Unfortunately I was just hoping to shed some light on a new ecoboost vehicle. Didn't plan on getting bashed.

The thing is those cars that the magazine uses don't end up on a dealers lot and sold as brand new...

You mention having to give the ST a lot of gas to get going. My ST doesn't behave that way at all and none of the posts I've read in the ST forum has that ever come up. In fact, you can let the clutch out without giving it any gas and the ECU will bump up the idle to the point where the ST will actually take off instead of stalling. And clutch smell? I've beat on my ST and run it at the track and I have never smelled my clutch.. and sorry, you DON'T need to "dump" the clutch to get a good feel for this car and it's performance! And you don't need to power shift either (not letting off the gas while shifting).

The 1-2 shift bang is easy to reproduce without completely beating on the car...

Absolutely take a car out and test drive it... you can push the car and get a good feel for it's performance without being abusive, which in my opinion is exactly what you did and was really uncalled for...

And before you even go there, yes, I'm middle aged but drive the living snot out of my EcoBoost vehicles...

E-thugs like you are quick to bash on people over the Internet because you think you can hide behind your IP address and live in anonymity. .

Seriously??

You are the one who went straight to being ignorant and making assumptions of me. thank you for your service. but i stand by my original statement. no need to thrash a car like that when you are not the owner.

Magazine testers are intended to be bashed, so your point means nothing. those cars will rarely be sold to the public as "new", at most they will be "demos" and most folks stay away from those.

Please, go reread my first response to you, then your response to me. If you knoestly feal you didnt jump off the deep end, then we just dont see eye to eye and never will.

Finally, to your assumptions of me being a middle aged gentelman who never pushes past 3k.....again, you dont know me. Those assumptions are so far from reality.

Do yourself a favor and let this thread die.

Jojo and goblues.....

I was asked to review this thread and intervene where necessary.

Looking back on the dialogue that has developed, I would say you both bring up valid (and differing) points.

It also appears you both have said things that weren't necessarily the most appropriate towards each other.

Suffice to say, it's likely neither of you are going to come to any agreement on this subject matter, so i'm asking you both, please..... enough.

I've never been heavy handed on enforcement related issues, so please just chalk it up as differing points of view, and let it lie.

Your involvement here is appreciated, but not when y'all starting get'n on each other's cases.

Thanks to each of you, for your cooperation.

Mike :yo:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Well said as always Mike. I apologize for the spat but I won't tolerate people calling me and "idiot". I also didn't think that posting a personal experience regarding an ecoboost vehicle would have gotten me bashed. That's why I joined ecoboost owners forum. It won't happen again.

I won't tolerate people calling me and "idiot".

Neither will I. The next time someone wants to call someone a flat out idiot, keep that stuff to PM's. I don't mind heated discussions but there is no reason to flat out say that to someone unless he deserves it (Which I don't believe JoJomofo21 did).

My personal opinion. If I'm going to purchase a new vehicle performance oriented or not, its getting the almighty crap beat out of it. I want to know how it corners at higher speeds, how it stops, how it sounds/pulls/feels at high RPMS. I don't want to spend $30,000 and then find out a month later I'm not truly happy with my decision. You think his spirited driving was bad on a legitimate test drive? You would cry if you saw how cars are treated at transportation facilities before they hit the dealer.

Now, less arguing...more Focus ST. :)