Ecoboost Owner Forums

Scrming's Over the Top ST Build...

When I bought my ST back in October, i told pretty much everyone that I wasn't going to mod this car... well, since completely failed at that, i figured, what the heck, might as well embrace my failure and build another highly customized vehicle... much to my wife's dismay...

As it stands, I already had a MRT exhaust, JBR RMM, a TT upper mount, and a Cobb AP tune...

Now I really LOVED the MRT 2012 SEMA vehicle... a 2013 Fusion:

street2.jpg

I decide to steal a number of elements from the MRT Fusion and incorporate them into my ST... That whole imitation is the sincerest form of flattery thing! ;)

That being said I... I came of with a couple of rough photochops and shared them with Scott from MRT. Now, I'm on a limited budget, so this isn't a full out SEMA build... so I'll have to do things like reuse the stock wheels... ;)

Here are my poor attempt at photoshop:

front.jpg

red5.jpg

Last week we discussed the project and Scott agreed it would be pretty cool... Last Saturday we kicked off the projects by installing the hood vents, which some of you have seen and commented on...

hood6.jpg

Very happy how they turned out!

Yesterday, I was once again back at MRT to drop the ST off for the next step, PAINT! Scott and I finalized the paint layout. One thing that Scott is changing from my photoshops is he is going to put a grey border around the red, just like he did on the Fusion. It will make the transition from black to red less harsh. He is also going to have the red slightly narrower.

Here is a horribly crappy cell pic as we were laying out some of the tape:

tape1.jpg

Now, one thing I didn't photoshop was the interior. For the interior, we are going to do the center stack in red... depending on where we are in my limited budget we may do the pieces in the hydrographic carbon fiber... The other thing Scott is going to investigate the front door panels... We weren't sure if the panels can easily be removed...

So now the hard part... WAITING!!! The ST should be heading to the paint booth this week. Scott will be sending me update photos and I'll be sure to post them here....

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it John!

The only thing I am not completely sure, but like you, I would trust MRT, is where to stop the red on the front bumper... The crack of the hood is big and before they came out with the gray line idea, I would have stop the red on the hood... Now with the gray, it should look better, but like on the Fusion, how would it look to put the gray line directly in the middle of the Ford emblem?

Hey! Just saying before final result and that is my only critisism, because I truly love the rest!

Looking forward to seeing the final results!

Steve

P.S. Can I ask you (you can PM if you prefer), how much time it took them to do the hood vents alone? Thanks! I am asking you this because I am negociating to have hodd vents installed on my SHO too and would like to get the best approximation of labor time (to cut and install the vents).

I love it John!

The only thing I am not completely sure, but like you, I would trust MRT, is where to stop the red on the front bumper... The crack of the hood is big and before they came out with the gray line idea, I would have stop the red on the hood... Now with the gray, it should look better, but like on the Fusion, how would it look to put the gray line directly in the middle of the Ford emblem?

Hey! Just saying before final result and that is my only critisism, because I truly love the rest!

Looking forward to seeing the final results!

Steve

P.S. Can I ask you (you can PM if you prefer), how much time it took them to do the hood vents alone? Thanks! I am asking you this because I am negociating to have hodd vents installed on my SHO too and would like to get the best approximation of labor time (to cut and install the vents).

BTW that Fusion looks sick!!!

Yeah, that STUPID hood gap!!! ARGH!!! Think Scott is going to try and shim the fascia up a bit to perhaps close the gap a bit... not sure... Thing is you really need to get some of the red down onto the fascia... if you look at the Shelby ST or the Bojix SEMA ST, they both just did the hood, which IMHO give the ST a very STUBBY look/feel... by bringing some of the red down on the fascia, it give the ST a bit longer feel.... unfortunately the emblem is sitting to high on the fascia... if we try to put the grey line at the middle of the emblem, i don't think we would have enough red on the fascia... Like I said just wish he emblem was LOWER!! ARGH!!!

Definitely thanks for taking the time to look things over and give your feedback! Really appreciate it! ;)

As for the vents... it really didnt' take a lot of time once we decided which vents would fit and where they were go... Scott already had a template to cut the hood, since these are the same vents that are in the Fusion.... so once we decided on the spot it went pretty quick...

1) Lay down blue tape.

2) Measure to locate where to put template.

3) Trace template

4) Drill a couple of holes to allow for cutting

5) Cut holes

6) Put some primer on the bare metal

7) Snap in vents

We took our time and discussed other options for the project... But I would say maybe an hour of actual work... I'm terrible with time... LOL

And YES, the Fusion is SICK!!! And that's why I'm copying as much as I can on my limited budget! That whole imitation is the sincerest form of flattery thing... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... so the RED will be continued from the hood down onto the front fascia.. We are actually going to bury the red and grey in the clear coat so the paint will be even... meaning we are reclearing the whole hood and front fascia... going to cost more but I think ti will be well worth it in the end!

prep_1.jpg

oh... and a better view of the Vette! LOL