Ecoboost Owner Forums

2013 Taurus SHO with PP - Spare Tire Question

Hi Gang. I am considering the Taurus SHO and really want to add the Performance Package, but am weary of not having a spare tire. (I had run-flats on a BMW, and found myself stranded for 4 hours after completely shredding one of them in an area where road side assistance was very scarce). I am wondering if I can actually buy the 20 inch spare tire and jack that comes with the non-PP Taurus SHO use it with the PP model - specifically, I am wondering if (1) the space to store the spare tire is still there (i.e. can I remove all of the 'tire mobility kit' stuff and put the spare tire and jack in there), and (2) if the spare tire will actually fit with the larger brakes and come with the PP. Does anyone know? Thanks very much. If I end up buying the car, I look forward to posting/reading more, and possibly meeting up with folks in the New Jersey area. Thanks again!

I have not changed any wheels on my car, but I have done some measuring. I am 100% sure that the 20" wheel from the non PP car will fit the car and clear the calipers. Even an 18" wheel will clear the calipers.

There is NO way a 20" wheel and tire will fit in the trunk well though. If you found an 18" wheel, no more than 6" wide with a 195/70, 205/65, or even a 215/60, you might get it in the trunk. I don't know if any of those size tires exist, but the well is barely 6" deep and only ~27" across.

Checking again, even those sizes are 28" +/- in diameter and may not fit. Which is why there probably is no spare. With AWD, you need the diameter to match the other wheels or you will have real problems trying to drive.

Welcome to the forum :)

This is my exact concern. I was just at the DC Auto show last weekend and saw a limited Taurus there with a donut for a spare in the trunk. I think the diameter was 18', but with a different size profile think it is the same as the 20's that the car came with. There is a well there for a spare. I am going to probably go that route as nothing would piss me off more than getting a flat and having to wait 4 hours.

I believe that the physical size of the brakes on the 2013 PP and non PP are the same, but the pads are different.

I have the non PP and my spare is a 145/70/18. I don't know what the size is for the 10-12s, but you should be able to pick up a spare kit from a Taurus at a salvage yard.

You could verify at the dealer that it would fit, if they have a non PP Taurus there (limited and SEL may also use the 18 inch spare).

I believe that 2012 has a 17" spare. Only 19" rime were offered In 2012. 2013 has a 20" option and hence the 18" rime for the spare. I'm going to call ford customer service. Perhaps if a bunch of us express concern they will do something. Realistically doubt it.

I believe that the physical size of the brakes on the 2013 PP and non PP are the same, but the pads are different.

I have the non PP and my spare is a 145/70/18. I don't know what the size is for the 10-12s, but you should be able to pick up a spare kit from a Taurus at a salvage yard.

You could verify at the dealer that it would fit, if they have a non PP Taurus there (limited and SEL may also use the 18 inch spare).

In our fleet vehicles, the carpeted cover (that covers the spare) comes up higher .... Does not sink into the center trunk area as my SHO has. Basically when you look into the trunk, it has a flat bottom stretching across to the back seat instead of an area that dips down - this covers the full sized spare, but you loose trunk space. Police vehicles have this also.

Maybe this was an option, accessory.

In our fleet vehicles, the carpeted cover (that covers the spare) comes up higher .... Does not sink into the center trunk area as my SHO has. Basically when you look into the trunk, it has a flat bottom stretching across to the back seat instead of an area that dips down - this covers the full sized spare, but you loose trunk space. Police vehicles have this also.

very interesting Boggus and to those who want to use a full size spare.

I didn't see it in the "build your own" section for any of the Tauruses (Taurii BPD??). Maybe it is only available through fleet/ special purchase.

I am in the process of getting a full size rim and tire to match the car and I think it will fit in the well. Need to do a little measuring. My question regarding the police trunk set-up is this, if I get a police interceptor trunk insert/floor piece, will it allow the trunk to be flat/raised level?

Am I making sense here?

I want a full size spare, and want the trunk floor to be stable so luggage/bags can be placed and NOT have the existing trunk floor piece wobble, which is what it would do as of right now with a full size spare in it.

A way to check this out is to try one out of a police interceptor in the trunk of our SHO's and see if that would work.

Is there a way for this to happen?

Thanks..............Bill

I will try to pull one out of our patrol cars and get a part number and picture.

Great pics, thanks. Do you also have a non PI Taurus? Will that cover piece that you show both sides in the pics replace the stock one by itself? Meaning.....does the styrofoam tire insert also need to be bought? I am asking your opinion here.

Thanks again

The part # is 45026 for that cover peice BTW

Got it. Will that foam support fit right in our 13's tire well area? . Sorry to keep asking you questions but you have both a 13 and a PI Taurus. If you can do a test swap into your 13 and tell us what you see that would help me personally, as I will then know what I need to order to make this mod work.

I really don't want to order what I don't need and if it won't fit then I don't want to order these parts at all. I really appreciate your effort here.

Bill

I have a 2013 SHO but have not test fitted it. My opinion is you would need something to keep it even and supported in the trunk. The foam surround around the tire seems to be that support.

For those crazy enough to want a spare, and a full size one at that, I found what seems to be a decent price from a place in Detroit

http://www.detroitwheelandtire.com

Their story is that they are swapping out the original rims with dealers there for a different set of Ford rims that they can get. Who knows? Their price was $100 less for the rim vs the next best deal I could find, and half the cost that my contact at Ford was willing to part with one for.

So..............I am "in" on trying to get a full size spare in this trunk. Now I just need to figure out this police interceptor trunk piece(s) issue on fitment.

Just wanted to pass some info along. That is what makes sites like this one so valuable.

Again, bad pictures due to lighting. It's about 10pm and I was getting ready to get off duty. Couple of quick bad shots. I placed this panel in my trunk over the normal panel. It covers the dip completely and makes the trunk flat. Now you will need some support under this panel to keep it solid. If it were for me, I would measure the spare you want to use with the tire mounted then I can measure the foam support to see if it will fit in it.

So, you will probably need the foam support and the panel to do it right and make it solid.

image12.jpg[/url]

image11.jpg[/url]

I work Sunday night. I use a '13 PI Sedan and will take one of my 20" F1 summer tires with and transfer it all to the trunk of my SHO and see what fits and what doesn't I'll take some pics too. That is unless someone beats me to it.

Jason

PS - The PI Sedan has a full size 18" spare in the trunk. I'm sure you all probably know that but just in case.

I would love to know if a 20" tire off ur Taurus fits in the foam piece. I am planning and hoping this will work. Post up when you find out. Thanks.

Bill

I work Sunday night. I use a '13 PI Sedan and will take one of my 20" F1 summer tires with and transfer it all to the trunk of my SHO and see what fits and what doesn't I'll take some pics too. That is unless someone beats me to it.

Jason

PS - The PI Sedan has a full size 18" spare in the trunk. I'm sure you all probably know that but just in case.