Ecoboost Owner Forums

calibrate your throttle body!!!

This is a little trick I learned when I had a Fusion.

1. Hold down the start button without applying the break to get into accessory mode. The engine light should be displayed on the start button.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and release.

3. Push the start button to turn off accessory mode.

3. Start the engine like normal.

I was skeptical of this as I'm sure you are now. You will be amazed at how much better the throttle response is.

This will get rid of the jumpy inconsistent take off from stop lights and make acceleration much smoother.

enjoy

I did this right after work. I will say it seems more "peppy" and ready to go but im not sure if its actual results or just my brain looking for a response from the car where there isnt one.

As I drive it more tomorrow ill report what I see/feel.

Yup! I tried it and yes I was experiencing what this thread is about.

Thought it was all in my head and that my foot was doing it somehow from a bounce in the suspension or something.

So I did the reset.

Seems to not be there any longer. Unless...... Its all in my head again.......... With out some kind of meter, we will all be just going off of feel.

I'm still trying to determin if this was an April fools joke or not.

FWIW, A quick google search brought this up on an F150 forum:

Throttle Calibration

Throttle calibration can substantially improve throttle responsiveness over "factory standard." Many people notice what appears to be sluggish throttle response or a "dead area" at initial accelerator depression. Throttle calibration can take care of these.

1) turn the key in the ON position (don't start the engine)

2) press the gas pedal down slowly all the way down

3) let go of the gas pedal fast so it come back up

4) turn key into the OFF position

repeat steps 1-4 two more times then start engine.

Most drivers notice an immediate change in throttle response, but depending on your driving style, you may need to repeat this procedure periodically due to the computer's adaptive programming. You likely need to repeat this procedure any time the battery is disconnected.

Hmmm....interesting. It sounds like you need the ignition in the "on" position and not "accessory." That makes sense - same as when we load tune files. I am not sure I would want to change the stock throttle mapping, though. I have no "dead areas" and it is really nicely progressive. I wouldn't necessarily want more throttle opening in the first part of accelerator movement - nor would I want less.

For those who have done this with your SHO or MKS, do you like it? Todd???

I've tried both ways and I think the 2nd way definitely helped. I tried the way in the OP and thought it felt a little different but I'm pretty sure it was just in my head. The next day I tried the 2nd way and I think that it definitely made a difference. About 6 months ago the car felt different when downshifting. When I first got the car, I remember getting on the gas about 20% & (it felt like) the car would downshift 2 gears and take off. Then one day I got on it a little and it felt like it only shifted 1 gear then would hesitate & shift down 1 more time after giving it a little more throttle and it has been like that ever since. After calibrating the 2nd way it is noticeably back to normal.

Take it or leave it but I'm happy with it, even if it could be mostly in my head.

I've tried both ways and I think the 2nd way definitely helped. I tried the way in the OP and thought it felt a little different but I'm pretty sure it was just in my head. The next day I tried the 2nd way and I think that it definitely made a difference. About 6 months ago the car felt different when downshifting. When I first got the car, I remember getting on the gas about 20% & (it felt like) the car would downshift 2 gears and take off. Then one day I got on it a little and it felt like it only shifted 1 gear then would hesitate & shift down 1 more time after giving it a little more throttle and it has been like that ever since. After calibrating the 2nd way it is noticeably back to normal.

Take it or leave it but I'm happy with it, even if it could be mostly in my head.

What is the 2nd method?

Probably this one on page 2.

FWIW, A quick google search brought this up on an F150 forum:

Throttle Calibration

Throttle calibration can substantially improve throttle responsiveness over "factory standard." Many people notice what appears to be sluggish throttle response or a "dead area" at initial accelerator depression. Throttle calibration can take care of these.

1) turn the key in the ON position (don't start the engine)

2) press the gas pedal down slowly all the way down

3) let go of the gas pedal fast so it come back up

4) turn key into the OFF position

repeat steps 1-4 two more times then start engine.

Most drivers notice an immediate change in throttle response, but depending on your driving style, you may need to repeat this procedure periodically due to the computer's adaptive programming. You likely need to repeat this procedure any time the battery is disconnected.