Ecoboost Owner Forums

Disappointed

I'm not sure what happen--but maybe someone can help me out.

First off, I'm disappointed because I did my first 2100 RPM launch and I couldn't even get my tyres to squeak LOL. Eh, I guess traction is good!

The real disappointment; the car is shifting itself. I turn off all the stability stuff (in park, foot on brake, hold button for 5 seconds) got the message "AdvanceTrac OFF". I put the car in S mode and activate paddle shifters (saw 1 on dash). The car instantly shifted at WOT in 1st, 2nd, short 3rd and into 4th. It completely killed my performance--I thought if I turned all the stability stuff the car would not shift itself--hence this is track mode.

I will tell you that I am foaming at the mouth for the 400awhp kit at Livernois. I'm going to do it, oh yeah! Soon as I hit 15k miles the check book is getting pulled out.

Why would I do such a thing?

The first issue was a joke--thanks for the pointless response.

The real culprit is that AdvanceTrac is not functioning. Apparently on the PP cars, if I disable it, it should disable the auto shift function in sport mode/paddle shifting--it does not.

Which means, if I was at track/strip it would not perform how I want it.

So, unless I read the PP brochure incorrect? Anyone with a 13 care to comment that has the PP package?

Can't really comment about the 13's or the PP cars since I don't have one but the general feeling here is that it's best to leave the car in D for most purposes, even at the track. It seems that the paddle shifters are more about show and really don't perform well. I think you will find that most that have tracked their cars are leaving them in D and getting the best results that way.

However, you can't imagine the improvement the tune makes, I know my car will spin the tires if I go to WOT throttle from a rolling start even at about 10 mph!

Yeah, I am planning on the 400awhp kit from Livernois. I'll get the power I want out of it. I just couldn't figure out the shifting thing--that bothered me. I was showing my friend the car and I took off at a light at 2100rpm; it shifted into 2nd, then cut 3rd and immediately went into 4th--it was weird. It should have ran 3rd out a lot more.

What can I say, the car only has 600 miles on it LOL.

At the 1/4 mile, you want to leave it in sport mode without activating paddle shifting and let the car do its magic. However, if you are talking about tracking around corners the car, I can understand that you would want to select the gear yourself. I believe that unless you reach the rpm limits, it shouldn't shift itself. If I choose 1st gear in sport mode with TC off and accelerate until let's say 5,500 rpm, it will remain in 1st gear and so on for the other gears. The auto-shift is there to protect your car. So maybe if you select TC off with sport mode and paddle shifter, under WOT, passed 6,000 rpm, it protects your car and goes back to sport mode and will shift automatically. Try it again and shift before rev limiter and it should work fine.

please report back.

I went and tested it on the way home.

If I keep it under 6k RPM it will hold gear, soon as it hits 6k it automatically shifts.

I guess that's the way it works. It's still fast as hell though LOL. I can't wait for the 400awhp kit from Liver; gonna be insanely fast then.

I find that in non sport mode it feels like I'm driving an El Camino. You say you only drive it in sport mode? Do you drive on the highway? Have you tracked your gas mileage, same type of driving just sport vs regular mode? Maybe Im a puss worrying about the gas mileage, Im just curious :)

From my understanding; S mode adjusts the transmission shift points and also doesn't shift into 6th.

If you get on the high way and shift from D to S, you will feel it kick down to 5th. It acts the same way my S mode did on my 2012 Focus Titanium I traded in.

2-1 downshift from 25 can light mine up enough to engage traction control. Sometimes it doesn't though. The boost levels are all over the pace from 8-14. Sometimes when I try this the engine cuts power with no TC light and you can hear it dumping boost. I'm wondering if this is some sort of turbo over rev protection.

But when the conditions are right, that brief time before TC stops the fun, where you can feel the chassis start to twist....is just AWESOME!

I had someone today nearly break his neck to get a look. He couldn't recognize the car.

The one thing I kinda of regret, but probably wouldn't if it happened, is not getting 5% tint on my car. I think it would look so much better blacked out but I know the second I do it I'll get pulled over. I've passed by 4 different state police today (as in drove right beside them) and they never bothered me with my 15%.