Ecoboost Owner Forums

Can you put A/S or winter tires on PP '14 SHO

Looking to purchase a 2014 SHO loaded up with PP. I read that PP helps fix torque steer issue and provides better braking for heavy car with lots of HP. Dealer says they won't swap tires from the summer tires as car won't run properly on A/S or winter tires. Ford website says Summer tires on PP aren't recommended below 40F I live in Cleveland area so sliding around in a high performance car isn't my idea of fun. Not unless I'm in a Walmart parking lot. Advice greatly appreciated. PS - this car looks a lot better on 20" tires/rims but I read the comments in posts debating between 17" or 18". So seems people are doing it. Thanks /Dave

Your dealer is full of it. I swapped my stock F1's onto new rims, and am running OEM rims all winter with Blizzaks (I think they're LM-60). Quite the opposite of problems--this last year is the first car I've had that consistently gets up my hill all winter (I live in Pittsburgh). The only downside is that I've found I can no longer slide around corners the way I used to when there was snow on the ground.... Despite this, I'm never going back to A/S.

Your dealer is full of it. I swapped my stock F1's onto new rims, and am running OEM rims all winter with Blizzaks (I think they're LM-60). Quite the opposite of problems--this last year is the first car I've had that consistently gets up my hill all winter (I live in Pittsburgh). The only downside is that I've found I can no longer slide around corners the way I used to when there was snow on the ground.... Despite this, I'm never going back to A/S.
Thanks for help dr

You say no more All Season tires? Why? Did you find Blizzaks the only acceptable performing tires in Winter? I hear you on hills in Pitt. I'm here this week and I can imagine winter is fun ;)))

So appreciate they can easily put on the OEM rims. Thanks for that to you and others for confirming. Me which OEM rim is hard to chose! Five spoke seems nice. More reserved. Flowers a little tricky for me to pick

Stock F1's are they the tires that come with the Performance package? And important to me to make sure is that Blizzaks work well with the Performance package. I know you say okay on stock rims but not sure you are PP

Thanks. /Dave

I hate dealerships that don't tell the truth, I would go back to the one that told you that the car won't run right with a/s tires and let them know that you are purchasing but not from them, because of the BS story...be sure to tell the General Manager or owner, not just a sales manager or saleman...let them know that they lost a legit buyer.

Any All Season will work fine with the PP...a lot of people have switched to the Continentals, General, and a few I think have put on Hankook or Kuhmo (can't remember which), but no one, repeat, no one with a PP has encountered any problems switching tires. The biggest problem with tires on PP cars is how quickly the F1's wear out, some have gotten less then 20K miles out of them. Blizzaks are good tires as are most Bridgestone. I am considering replacing my Michelin with Firestone Wide Oval A/S, since they are made by Bridgestone. My Michelin tires are showing a lot of sidewall cracking and have been cracking ever since the car was new! Just FYI, I don't have the PP on my car, but a lot of people over at Ecoboost Performance Forum do have the PP and have changed tires...you should join us over there...those guys would be happy to give you more info on their tire experience. Also Crash is very knowledgeable, and you can take his advice to the bank, he won't steer you wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Old thread but I thought I'd add. I have a certified 2013 PP and the dealer put on Chinese All Seasons. They are Zenna Argus UHP AA/A 420 . Seems fine can't break them loose, hardly even in rain. When these wear out.... I ran Cooper Zeon RS3-A a/s tires on my G8 GT and they were the best tires ever, cheap and lasted forever on a 12 sec car. Even went in snow ok. There are tires out nearly as good as summer tires but way better in fall or winter. Real winter driving demand dedicated snow tires. Warning:worse tire ever used was Michelin pilot sport AS3. Suppose to be closer to summer tire but a 3 season tire. My G8 would smoke them even if I floored it at 35mph. Off the line or everyday driving they would spin anyt I me I very third of a throttle. Very dangerous tire on a G8 rear drive. No other tire I ever ran before was as bad...