Ecoboost Owner Forums

Shift Speed / Tap Up Tap Down

Actually haven't had the problem, we discovered early that the paddle shifters aren't nearly as fast at shifting as leaving the car in "D". I don't think many of us really ever use the paddle shifters because of the slow shifting response. Also, I know my car will not auto shift if in "M" and the paddle shifters are disabled in "D"...seems strange that the Explorer does both, sorta defeats the purpose of having an M setting or the paddle shifters...

Hey guys I wanted to see if anyone had the same problem we have with our explorer. Not really a problem but a feature request! I like the tap up tap down feature on the explorer except I sometimes hit the tap down button while turning. This feature is active even when the shifter is in the "D" (drive position). So when driving or turning I sometimes accidentally hit the button and annoyingly is goes down a gear then eventually times out and goes back to normal. I have figured out a way to disable it while only in the "D" position.

Would anyone else want this disabled in the Explorer or a Taurus SHO? Thoughts?

My other gripe (SHO guys shouldn't have this problem) is the explorer auto shifts when in manual mode. I also can change this if someone wants.

I know this might be a waste of a post for some but its a few things that I really wanted changed and did to our vehicle here so I want to offer to anyone else that might want.

LME

Originally posted by mjhpadi

Actually haven't had the problem, we discovered early that the paddle shifters aren't nearly as fast at shifting as leaving the car in D. I don't think many of us really ever use the paddle shifters because of the slow shifting response. Also, I know my car will not auto shift if in M and the paddle shifters are disabled in D...seems strange that the Explorer does both, sorta defeats the purpose of having an M setting or the paddle shifters...

Yes your right. I should of been more specific 2013+ Sorry about that. Really my whole purpose of messing with it was to disable the paddle functions while in "D". LME

Your car is a 2010 so it is disabled in the "D" position I believe. The 2013+ cars have them active in "D"

LME

Yes, that is true and I know that. I said "I would really dislike the paddle shifters NOT being disabled in "D".

I realize I worded that statement poorly with two negatives. Let me try it again: "I like the 2010-2012 set up better".

• 1 year later...

Well, I haven't purchased my Sport yet, so I only have a tiny bit of seat time so I don't know if I would accidentally hit the paddle.  However, I like them active in D so you can downshift without having to first reach over and throw the shifter into M and then reach back up to the paddle.  I want to be able to quickly go down a couple gears to be ready to punch off at a good rpm.  Now, the bad part is putting it back into D.  There should be a way to get it back to auto mode without having to wait for it to timeout or throw the shifter back and forth.

I like how Dodge does it.  If you pull back on the + paddle and hold it, it will go back into auto mode.  

You said it shifts automatically when in M.  Does it only upshift at redline?  I would be fine with that, but I don't want it to downshift on its own.  If I want to roll on the throttle and lug around a corner a little in a taller gear, I don't want it downshifting on me in the middle of the corner and taking off too fast.