Ecoboost Owner Forums

bpd's MASSIVE audio build......

@Mike V..... although I am getting there as it relates to those "high end" shows, I still humbly recognize that I am just at the entry level of them respectively.

So many other builds across the board, from performance, aesthetics, audio, lighting, etc. that believe it or not, are far ahead of mine. But my SHO's get'n there. Little by little.

@Brian..... you know I do, but don't think for one second the pink motif is escaping you my friend.

Muahahahahahaha

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edited by bpd1151

Final measurements / fitment of individual plexi over each amp, and then 1st layers of fiberglass being applied to the amp rack.

a.k.a. "The Cradle of Power".......

9700_zpskxtdnjfw.jpeg

9697_zpszmgkwfkf.jpeg

9696_zpsowl48wnp.jpeg

9709_zps1ikw5en5.jpeg

9713_zpsxunu2ihz.jpeg

9714_zpszochtc0a.jpeg

So more progress as y'all can see.

Steady as she goes, slowly but surely.

Edited by bpd1151

Sssoooooooo..........

I stopped by the shop yesterday, to not only drop off more (deposit) money, but also to acquire a quick update, and see some of the progress myself in person.

Fast forwarding to the meat and potatoes of this post...... the car is NOT GOING TO BE DONE in time for me to participate in next weekend's annual, World of Wheels / Tuner Galleria event.

Which, quite honestly, I am perfectly fine with, and I suspected that it wouldn't be done.

The shop owner, really has been pressuring the installer's to get crack'n, and likewise, the owner was really pushing to have this done for that event. I have consistently told the installers from day one, DON'T RUSH. I have been unwavering on this.

Anyhow, so I get in their yesterday, and the owner's then trying to pressure me (to attend) by saying the trunk will be completely done, 100, but not anything else. Not the door panels, not the rear deck, not the four bass/amp controllers for the psgr side 'A' pillar, not the tweeters, etc.

I vehemently refused to cave in exclaiming no way, no dice, not my cup of tea, etc.

I said there's no reason for me to take the car off their hands, only to bring it home, detail the snot out of it for such a big event, only to bring it back to their facility and have them keep the car another 3 weeks or so, and then me having to go through the rig-a-more-row of having to detail the snot out of it a second time. Uh uh. No way. No dice.

I could tell he was disappointed, but like I said, I wasn't having it. Besides, I know they have other projects going simultaneously, and mine is just another cog in their wheelhouse of projects, but for the reasons stated above, I was cool with just leaving the car at their facility until it's completely completed.

Did find out that they have the 3/4" thick rectangular, clear panel for the back side of the 15" sub box in their hands (as they had to custom order that piece) as well as having in their hands, the custom fab'd clear 8" diameter, 18" long clear tube to port the 15" sub box from the trunk to the rear deck.

Installers mentioned they'll be adding more layers of fiberglass to the top cover of the amp rack, and will be working on the 15" sub box, and the custom made rear deck next. They plan on illuminating the clear tube for porting, as well as illuminating the inside of the 15" sub box as well.

I told them to not let the owner pester them to much, as I know 1st hand how much pressure from the bosses can kill off creative juices. Reassured them to stay the course, and just continue trucking along on the path they've been heading. They thanked me and assured me more progress pics will be being sent my way.

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend. Ciao for now! :P

Edited by bpd1151

The waiting ... is the hardest part!

Agreed!

Which is totally why I am waiting. Lol.

I think at this juncture, it's the owner of the shop who is having a much harder time waiting, than I.

Looks to be worth it though IMHO. This project has been in the making since late Fall of 2015 as that is when I began purchasing components (& cont'd doing so throughout all of 2016).

Car was dropped off at the shop, for custom install/fabrication etc. middle of January 2017.

So what will likely turn out to be 6-8 weeks worth of downtime, is worthwhile to see it coming to it's completion. I'm patient as you all have come to know me to be by now.

Yes, the 15" subs will be going over the hump in the center of the trunk.

The 12" subs are housed in each far corner of either side of the trunk.

That box in the center, will have the subs facing the interior, and the reverse side, where the clear, see-through panel is located, will face the trunk.

They will be finishing, and illuminating, the interior of that 15" sub box, so when the trunk lid is open, and on display, one will be able to see into that box, and see the subs firing/moving.

Edited by bpd1151

that hump in the trunk is perfect for a sub box in a couple ways, plenty of room & easy to get to from underneath car as my installer i forgot how been 5 yrs now, but anchored them down &they do need to anchored. looking great mike & i'm sure the boss of company doing them wanted them done for the show, great advertising, especially if you media guy brought some models. i have quick question for you though. as i remember your hood pins where completely black, maybe i'm wrong but i thought so. well not on sho but on my new car mopar's black ones which are great quality have a black base, but the pins & rings are chrome, a no go for me since almost no chrome on the car. if you remember which brand did you use?

THX

that hump in the trunk is perfect for a sub box in a couple ways, plenty of room & easy to get to from underneath car as my installer i forgot how been 5 yrs now, but anchored them down &they do need to anchored. looking great mike & i'm sure the boss of company doing them wanted them done for the show, great advertising, especially if you media guy brought some models. i have quick question for you though. as i remember your hood pins where completely black, maybe i'm wrong but i thought so. well not on sho but on my new car mopar's black ones which are great quality have a black base, but the pins & rings are chrome, a no go for me since almost no chrome on the car. if you remember which brand did you use?

THX

Mike V.......

Here's the link for the hood pins I used:

http://daystarweb.com/productdetail.php?productID=1201

In the event the link re-directs you to their home page, type in the following item number into their parts locator on that home page:  KU71104BK

That should work for you.

Thanks for the kudos on the build thus far. I agree, and I know, the owner desired for it to be done for his own reasons/motivations, however as I expressed to the installers, plenty of shows to compete in each year, and the 2017 show season is in it's infancy.

Well, World of Wheels has come and gone. Not much work got done latter half of last week, as it was an "all hands on deck" type of thing, to get all the (finished) cars cleaned/prepped for that event...so the SHO took a back burner in the interim.

No biggie, this week was a fresh start for the installers to re-approach and restart on her.

That said, they've begun working on dismantling the rear deck, removing the factory speakers located there in, rerouted some wiring, and are working on cutting open a larger hole in the center, in order to facilitate porting the 15" sub box, into the interior compartment.

Here's a few more progress pics of the latest aspects of the build unfolding:

11760_zpsf1iwev6p.jpeg

11758_zpszr01xpod.jpeg

11763_zpsspctvtba.jpeg

11756_zpsyx8xyjxm.jpeg

11755_zps2ocecnqa.jpeg

11759_zpshpnfn4lj.jpeg

Enjoy! Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. More pics to come as the build progresses forward.

Don't forget, clocks spring AHEAD 1hr this coming Saturday night. A sure sign that old man Winter will be making it's departure here in the short term.

looks great mike, after they screwed around with out last year i'd have bowed out as well. that's the problem with shows, judging is so fickle. sometimes they love what you got & all the work that we've done, you more than me, but still turning a 4dr sedan into a show car takes both $$ but also imagination. & the good judges value that. the bad ones will grade a car just off the showroom high because a higher $$ car. keep pics up, always interesting.

Thanks Mike V. I appreciate the feed back.

Yea, W.O.W. Judging crews F'd me over the last 2yrs, as you well know. Lost to a fairly basic Mustang, with nothing really all that special, other than simple bolt on mods. So to say I wasn't all that motivated to attend this year, even with a half completed audio build, yea no thanks. Just finish the $h!t and do it right from the onset tyfvm.

Moving along, next up will be the door panels, and the psgr side A-Pillar, as it relates to creating the custom pod to house the four amp controllers and graphs.

BamSHO Brian inquired about the rear decking, and why was it being fab'd out of wood, etc.

Answer?

Well, I spoke at length with the installer's, and many aspects of this build are my own ideas, and I am fortunate that coupled with my own articulation skills, that I have a wonderful group of guys that can extrapolate those thoughts dancing around in my head, and make them become a reality.

Essentially, with the rear deck, I desired the 6x9's to be angled upwards and forwards, rather than completely flat/horizontal as they do from the factory.

I did this for audio purposes so that they are firing forward, as well as for aesthetic purposes in that I desired them to be seen, advertised, etc.

I'm happy with the progress thus far, and look forward to more updates as they occur.

I spec'd out the finishing materials as well, and I will be incorporating the black white theme from everywhere else, into the trunk of this build in order to facilitate tieing it all together.

Again, thanks for your input. Truly much appreciated.

Yes, true.

I may be exaggerating the angle.

Ummm trying to recall my architectural drafting days, and the compass/protractor..... say nothing more than a 15 to 20 degree angle. Make sense?

Plus with the power running through the entire system, I'm not worried terribly about imaging in the true sense.

Edited by bpd1151

Think so probably actually 75 saying 90 is straight up curious what it sounds like tilted forward so that the sound doesn't hit that big lip but also how much of that sound is absorbed in the roof. Be nice to get a quick mockup first of various angles and location.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Well, been a little quiet as the shop got side tracked by other projects outside of the SHO.

Not sure why, other than maybe the installer's were just looking to take a break from it, perhaps to get re-energized before taking the leap into the next aspects of it.

Since my last update/post..... they have been working on the fabrication of the rear deck.

Desiring for it to sit lower and/or more flush, they discovered they had to relocate some addtional wiring and what not, before measuring and notching out for the seat belt housings, as well as those goofy latch belt / hook things used for kid's car seats and what not. Once that was accomplished, they then moved onto fabricating the holes for the 6x9's, as well as building them up so they sit up on a slight angle as discussed in previous posts.

Here's some progress pics that display their efforts since the last pics were posted:

13458_zpsthsnwk1r.jpeg

13455_zpspofoc1ap.jpeg

13457_zpsjeoborig.jpeg

13460_zpsbf9ryhbd.jpeg

13463_zpswxyr3xtl.jpeg

13706_zpsuru0nh5s.jpeg

Edited by bpd1151

13705_zpsdmkcv2e3.jpeg

13704_zpsbchgb1vq.jpeg

13703_zpsjhjydlxd.jpeg

13701_zpsw35drplb.jpeg

13702_zpsdtkoa8kw.jpeg

So those pics encompass this week's update.

Next up? Door panels.

We discussed the door panels at length. How to go about modifying them. Finishing them. Illuminating them, etc.

They're going to start by removing each door panel, then likely cutting open, or separating the factory (plastic) mesh grille(s) from the remainder, to expose the 5x7's in each door. They will fabricate some type of fiberglass "lip" if you will, that will start at the highest outset of the panel, then work inwards to the face edge(s) of each 5x7. They'll work on illumination of these areas, then we discussed carrying through the black / white / carbon fiber white appearance into these areas.

I politely reminded them that my oldest daughter will be returning from her study abroad courses in Berlin, Germany at the beginning of May. As such, once she returns, she will likely need the use of the '01 Taurus SE I've been driving as a daily, so she can get back/forth to work, her social life, etc. and as such, I will need to have the SHO done by (sometime) in April. Their reply was simply "April is doable".

So as of the date of this post, I would say they have 2 weeks (on the low end) and as many as 6 weeks (on the high end) to wrap this project up, in its' entirety.

More updates to follow. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend! Happy St. Patrick's Day to those who observe same.

Edited by bpd1151

Nah, no nail-biting here, and no worries on being sans SHO for multiple weeks.

Been there, done that. In both ways.

I'm happy with how the project's unfolded thus far, and it's somewhat of a relief being able to physically view the tangible fabrication of the thoughts that have been dancing around in my head.

Thoughts that were formed quickly, but have been held captive for years, compartmentalized in my brain.

Like pieces of a large puzzle, each being strategically placed and positioned, to make a complete mural.

My curiosity is piqued for the outcome of the door panels, and the psgr. side A-Pillar pod that will house the amp controls.

The concept of that psgr. pod came entirely suggested by the installers, as they thought it should/would compliment the gauges in the center, and opposing driver's side A-Pillar. Time will tell.

Patience is an acquired characteristic I believe that comes with maturity. It'll get there. As you can see for yourselves. Slowly, but surely.

Edited by bpd1151

Looks like more work being accomplished as I type this, even though it's a Saturday.

A custom fab'd trim ring to wrap around the base of the clear plexi, circular tube that will be porting the 15" sub box into the interior, from the trunk, and transitioning through the rear deck.

A few more pics just sent to me now:

13897_zpsizmzxpah.jpeg

13896_zpsemxflpic.jpeg

13895_zpsjqpwas9w.jpeg

13894_zpstnn3ddoy.jpeg

13893_zpsj2traja4.jpeg

13892_zpsuj3hjife.jpeg

13891_zpsn0fipotl.jpeg

13890_zpsxeiuppqb.jpeg

13912_zpseop5pzcm.jpeg

Can't say I'm not loving the attention to detail..... BECAUSE I AM!

Fuels and nurtures my OCD tendencies!

Edited by bpd1151