Ecoboost Owner Forums

Bumper cover core charge

Well ordered a new front cover for the SHO. As some know, the driver's front corner, the clear is peeling. Not sure why, and it is in big chunks. After talking with my body guy, about either stripping, sanding, priming, etc the orginal one, and seeing the estimate. We decided to go with a new primed cover. He just felt better, not knowing what other issues are going to come up with the old one. It's going to cost $1000 either way. So yes FORD wants the old cover bad, WTF! Even the parts guy at the dealer was surprised. I was told later that FORD doesn't want aftermarket company's getting ahold of them. He said you can get on from the boneyard, very strange and weird.

Not saying that's not true, but I am saying it just doesn't make any sense. If somebody wanted to get a bumper to create an aftermarket number, or refurbish a bumper, it's really not that tough. The cost for shipping old bumpers back to Ford probably outweighs the benefit.

Car is down at the body shop now. They wanted the car, to make sure the new paint matches. Was shown there are 5 shades of the white. Different batches. So maybe end of the week. If I want the core charge back, just in a one foot peice of cover, seriously why bother. Also the parts guy told me too FORD is starting a core charge for some headlights too, WTF!

Maybe because of the cause, they are rebuilding the headlight buckets?  I remember when Dave replaced his on his 12. If I remember correctly, I think for the pair of new headlights it was over $1000.00!  I am really surprised that Ford has never done remanufactured tails with all the chrome problems they have experienced. 

Edited by mjhpadi

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great Brian!

I agree, from the pics Brian posted here, as well as the ones he sent directly to me, the refinish looked like it turned out really well.

What a relief I bet.

Light years ahead of whoever repainted the prior cover. No more headaches, and no more worries.

Now be sure to protect that craftsmanship and get that front end 3M Clear Bra'd.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

100 percent agree. Get the 3M protection. That's what I did when I got my front end changed. Do it!

Just one question, the photograph that shows the bumper and has the black sensor, is that the old bumper or the new bumper? I'm looking on my phone so it's a little hard to tell. If it's the new bumper, shouldn't that sensor be the same color as the bumper?