Ecoboost Owner Forums

Driver's Side View Mirror Yellowing - Auto Dimming?

Hi Guys,

In the past, I've noticed that a fair amount (I'd say 90%) of my driver's side view mirror has yellowed, but it usually goes away for whatever reason. Fast-forward to today and I noticed the yellowing, but it hasn't gone away, like it has in the past.

After some brief web searching, I believe this is the auto-dimming feature present on the SHOs. Does anyone know why mine suddenly became permanently enabled? Granted, today has been overcast, so I'm not sure how sensitive it could be, and maybe the car is doing its job? I guess the side-view mirror itself could have become faulty. Any advice/suggestions/tips would be appreciated.

2cfunp3.jpg

Thanks!

The auto-dimming mirrors are relatively fragile, so if your mirror has been smacked, even with the break-away feature, the seal between the LCD layer and the mirror may have been compromised, leading to darkening.  When I've seen this happen on my wife's car, it's been mostly a darkening with a bit of yellowing mixed in, but when she smacks here mirror, she smacks it good.

You don't mention what year your SHO is, and I'm not sure it makes a difference, but if I recall my 2011 correctly, turning off the dimming feature of the rearview mirror also turns off the dimming feature of the side mirror.  You might try turning off your dimming feature to see if that causes the yellowing to go away as well.  If not, there's a good chance the seal of your mirror glass has failed. 

I should also add that, through the process of replacing side mirrors on my wife's car, I found that even snapping the mirror back on the motor can cause enough of an impact to break the seal.

-Rod

The auto-dimming mirrors are relatively fragile, so if your mirror has been smacked, even with the break-away feature, the seal between the LCD layer and the mirror may have been compromised, leading to darkening.  When I've seen this happen on my wife's car, it's been mostly a darkening with a bit of yellowing mixed in, but when she smacks here mirror, she smacks it good.

You don't mention what year your SHO is, and I'm not sure it makes a difference, but if I recall my 2011 correctly, turning off the dimming feature of the rearview mirror also turns off the dimming feature of the side mirror.  You might try turning off your dimming feature to see if that causes the yellowing to go away as well.  If not, there's a good chance the seal of your mirror glass has failed. 

I should also add that, through the process of replacing side mirrors on my wife's car, I found that even snapping the mirror back on the motor can cause enough of an impact to break the seal.

-Rod

Thanks for the info! I hope I won't need to replace, but it seems as though I might. My SHO is a 2013, and, as far as I'm aware, there's no way to toggle the auto-dimming on the rearview or sideview mirrors.