Ecoboost Owner Forums

Stock winter

Usmcsho

Now granted, this current Winter season is my 1st venture into keeping my SHO off the road and housed comfortably in the garage, however, with that said, I have never changed my tunes due to seasonal changes.

What I would do though, is drive significantly more cautiously, and typically refrained from WOT runs, as I never desired to spray on the Meth, in sub freezing temps.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I also don't return to stock or do anything differently in the winter. 93 octane is available everywhere I go and there is no negative impact with the winter fuel that I have found. I definitely do watch myself though with really hitting it, as the tires of course are harder and the road is slippery. Definitely take it easy. But I don't turn it back to stock

I do exactly what TSS does - leave the tune in it but be mindful of weather and road conditions.   Even here in Minneapolis, there are usually more winter days with dry roads than with icy or snowy roads.   I have never found winter gas to make much of a difference.  I wouldn't necessarily go to the track with it in the car but the tracks are closed in the winter, anyway.

The thing I am most careful about in the winter has nothing to do with whether the car is tuned or not.  I make sure fluids are warmed up to operating temps before I push the car very hard.  The transmission takes about 3 times as long to reach a normal operating temp as the engine.   

After seeing how long it takes the oil, I am not surprised by the trans taking a long time. I am in complete agreement with these guys, stay away from aggressive driving in the cold months (like today here when the high was 25) allow plenty of time to get things up to temp before being aggressive.And I am still wondering if the fact that the engine block, PTU, and transmission all have fairly thick aluminum cases help contribute to the long warm up, since the aluminum transfers heat well, I think it may take the long time for it to get warm enough from the fluids before the fluids can begin to warm? That is more of a question then a statement.

Edited by mjhpadi