Ecoboost Owner Forums

Custom Exhaust -- I have questions

So my buddy is a mechanic and when he was doing my state mandatory inspection, we put the SHO up on the lift to inspect the exhaust. He was thoroughly impressed. I told him some guys had taken off the 3rd cat and muffler and replaced it with an X-pipe, but he wanted to go a step further...

We discussed taking the entire stock exhaust off from the bracket just before the 3rd cat and replace it with a straight pipe exhaust all the way to back behind the rear suspension, then 45 off to the muffler locations and then, of course, replace the mufflers with something that sounded nice. He said it would be loud if it was a straight pipe. So, anyone have experience with this?

Also, I think someone here said the exhaust is a 2.25" pipe, but what about the aftermarket exhausts? Do they change the size, maybe 2.5"? Would that affect the turbos at all?

In a couple weeks, I may be at his place welding up a new exhaust system for some grunt, so figured I'd start a bit of research/question asking. :D

You can buy a couple Magnaflow Mufflers for the back. Easy fit... I have stock exhaust from mufflers to x-pipe, but larger would be fine. Restriction is the Cats, headers and the restrictive heads. Too many variables to deal with to change everything... then you have intake issues with turbos, DI pump, injectors and more... And if you solve all of this... then you have drivetrain issues, like the Tranny, front and rear diff's etc.

At some point... buy a 4 door BMW M-5!

My buddy said that cars w/ turbos don't really have loud exhausts and pointed to the fact that another friend of ours has a mod'd WRX where he took off the exhaust and it wasn't much louder than it was without the exhaust. So, I'm not overly concerned about the noise.

Any advantage to doing the X-pipe?

If not, I may just get the magnaflow mufflers and straight pipe...

My buddy said that cars w/ turbos don't really have loud exhausts and pointed to the fact that another friend of ours has a mod'd WRX where he took off the exhaust and it wasn't much louder than it was without the exhaust. So, I'm not overly concerned about the noise.

Any advantage to doing the X-pipe?

If not, I may just get the magnaflow mufflers and straight pipe...

Not sure if the SHO has the same stock mufflers as the Flex... but we just replaced the rear mufflers with an MRT system which is a straight-thru design and it's has about the perfect volume for me... Can't imagine removing the 3rd cat and the resonator also...

• 4 weeks later...
So my buddy is a mechanic and when he was doing my state mandatory inspection, we put the SHO up on the lift to inspect the exhaust. He was thoroughly impressed. I told him some guys had taken off the 3rd cat and muffler and replaced it with an X-pipe, but he wanted to go a step further...

We discussed taking the entire stock exhaust off from the bracket just before the 3rd cat and replace it with a straight pipe exhaust all the way to back behind the rear suspension, then 45 off to the muffler locations and then, of course, replace the mufflers with something that sounded nice. He said it would be loud if it was a straight pipe. So, anyone have experience with this?

Also, I think someone here said the exhaust is a 2.25" pipe, but what about the aftermarket exhausts? Do they change the size, maybe 2.5"? Would that affect the turbos at all?

In a couple weeks, I may be at his place welding up a new exhaust system for some grunt, so figured I'd start a bit of research/question asking. :D

I have a X pipe and then just straight pipe all the way back to the tips, no resonators or mufflers and it sounds pretty sexy. I added two mufflers at the end and surprisingly it was very very quiet! If you search on here you'll find my vids I posted of it. On the highway it's near silent as well unless you get on the gas of course. But just cruising it's fine. When you first start up the car it's LOUD though, but when the engine warms up at idle you can hardly tell it has an exhaust actually!

Archived