Ecoboost Owner Forums

Meth install

I started my meth install today, got pump and tank mounted and all the plumbing ran. I did mine a little different then other have so far, I felt the passenger side of the car was to cramped to mount any thing in so I mounted tank and pump all on drivers side.

0e8cf7fd.jpg

73f209f7.jpg

Tomorrow I start on the electrical.

VERY COOL!!! But looks strangely familiar... LOL

pump1.jpg

One thing to think about is the main tank needs to be able to vent the air out when your fill it... We ended up just removing the rubber gasket from the big cap so it doesn't seal air tight... so far so good.. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your install! AND your RESULTS!!!

Gee John I wonder where I got the idea, all kidding aside how identical our set ups look. I did look your set up over but not that closely. Yeah I am have trouble filling the tank as well, but I believe have a idea that should cure. I plan to insert a piece plastic water line, like on a refrigerator. down thru the remote tank into the main tank this should vent the tank to air while filling. Now I just have to figure out where I hid the stuff at. And wouldn't you know while writing this I just remembered after reinstalling my bumper I forgot to plug in my front marker lights.:doh:

Job is all done and couldn't be more please with the results. Julio at Alky controls has a outstanding product a lot time and thought has gone into to make as plug and play possible. Even though it took me at least 17hrs to install, if I had to do it again I easily could cut that number in a half if not more. Now just got to change out the plugs and hopefully get some dyno time soon. Will add more later, I'm exhausted!

Job is all done and couldn't be more please with the results. Julio at Alky controls has a outstanding product my time and thought has gone into to make as plug and play possible. Even though it took me at least 17hrs to install' date=' if I had to do it again I easily could cut that number in a half if not more. Now just got to change out the plugs and hopefully get some dyno time soon. Will add more later, I'm exhausted![/quote']

very cool!

Completely agree, the Alky Control kit is top notch! Looking forward to your dyno results! And your track results too!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately my appointment got bumped. LMS and Ford motor have a contract with one another and Ford co-owns the Dyno and they have 1st dibs on it whenever they need it. So sadly I will have to wait another 2 weeks. I was seriously bummed out, but thats business. But LMS have always went out of there way with me so I could only be understanding.

I am running alkycontrol kit and it 100% meth, and as gains I am expecting to pickup 45-50hp I think this is what most of us that are runing are seeing on the dyno. But more importantly .5 sec off my 1/4 mi ET's

And actually its kinda a blessing that my appointment got bumped to was 85 and humid. So hopeful in a couple of weeks the weather will be better.

The LMS kit is 100% methanol' date=' the Unleashed kit allows you to run mix. I have seen dyno numbers from guys with this kit in the 380's/425 range at the wheels.[/quote']

You can still run a mix in the AlkyControl kit...it's more like you "have" to run a mix in the Unleashed kit because the plumbing isn't made for straight methanol

That's not true Darrell....

ALL of these systems can handle 100% Methanol... The issue is... IS... IT....SAFE...? Anything over 50% Methanol is FLAMMABLE. Alky Control does everything possible to make using 100% Methanol as safe as is possible... but it's still FLAMMABLE... What they do is... first mount the pump below both the nozzle and the bottom of the Methanol tank... wherever you chose to put it, or whatever tank you choose to use. Then they add braided lines from both the tank to pump and from pump to nozzle.. Braided lines are the best quality you can use in the short-medium term. Long term every line needs to be replaced every year or so. Secondly, by having the pump below both the tank and the nozzle, makes sure it is always primed. This means that your system will always be spraying fluid, and won't vapor lock or draw air, assuming there is fluid in the tank.

I have sprayed over 75% methanol, and would have gone further, had weather not cooperated this winter... However, I always test my system... IE... prime it under the hood, when I'm getting ready to do my runs. Never had issues, but my pump is only a year old, and hasn't been used since March.

Torrie's W/M system is more than adequate for our vehicles, under all but extreme tuning situations. If you're lucky enough to snag some windshield washer fluid that is 50% methanol... it is a really "CHEAP DATE"!!!!!!

I think the Alky Control System is definitely one of 2 best systems out there, assuming you mount them both as Alky recommends. However, it takes over 10 hrs to install vs the one I installed, which if you use my methods can be done in less than 2 hours.

Torries system is either on... or off. Mine was set at 8 psi to turn on 100%. Alky Control uses a progressive system, as does Devils Own and others, though most can be set to work like mine. Disadvantage to 100% on can be a "rich A/F condition at lower RPM... Again.. that depends on the nozzle... Torrie sends a #7 (7 gal per hr @ 100 psi) where Alky Control uses a #10.. which is (10 gal per hr @ 100 psi).

Onandonandonandon!!!!!

Darrell... no offense taken... You know how much I respect your opinions.... :wink::wink:

And while I wouldn't worry about occasional 100% methanol in my system, I wouldn't leave it in overnight (see below) and to date, haven't run over 75% Methanol. The plastic lines are very strong... but I don't trust any line with 100% methanol for years of use.:decision:

As for braided lines, we use them to connect our toilets, and have had the fittings break. The plastic lines actually are not really an issue. On the other hand, most braided lines use a form of rubber inside, which is more likely over time to break down. Personally, whatever one uses, the plastic tubing, or braided lines, I would be replacing them every year or 2 if running 100% methanol. Actually probably a good idea for all W/M systems to have lines replaced annually. Cheap insurance against a methanol fire, or other possible damage.

Thought I posted pix of my install on here early on. If not, I certainly can do...

My pump, which is the same as the Alky Control pump, (all are Shurflow pumps - some companies test them more thoroughly though) is mounted upright, just behind the anti-freeze overflow tank. I also used the windshield washer tank for my W/M solution, by drilling a hole in the lid, and running the tubing down to the tank's bottom. I installed a filter between the tank and the pump. I first ran a # 7 nozzle, but later upgraded to a # 10 (these are rated in gallons per hr at 100psi). My system uses an adjustable pressure system, set at 8 psi and a relay to activate the pump at the set pressure. Different from the adjustable/ variable controller some systems like Alky Control use, the system I installed from Torrie, was on at full pressure, when boost hit 8 psi. I added a light in my wiper area that shows when the system is spraying. The pressure control, has a manual button that one can use to make sure the system is working. When you push it, you can really tell it is working by the engine response. The beauty of my mounting layout is that it can be removed in less than 1/2 hr and re-installed in about the same time, after the original install, with the wiring to the underside of the dash for the on-off switch.

As I believe I mentioned before, the advantage to my system is easy installation, and the simplicity of tuning a system that is either on... or off. The advantage to the Alky Control system is that it places the pump below both the spray nozzle as well as the holding tank, guaranteeing it will never lose prime, as long as the pump motor is working. Alky control also wants you to use braided lines.

You certainly can use braided lines with Torrie's system or other W/M system MFG's out there.

One thing I do after using expensive methanol or 50/50 Boost Juice, is to take a section of plastic pipe, and use it to pump out my spray solution into a gallon jug for later use at the strip. On the street, I use a methanol based inexpensive windshield washer fluid. In normal street or highway driving, my system rarely lights up and sprays. So.. I save my best for the strip or WOT testing sessions.

Even with 50/50 spray, I saw 1/2 second gains in my 1/4 mi times. Only 1 time did I reach 107 mph, vs Scrming who seems to get there frequently. I attribute my better times (2) to my smaller diameter tires. Those also caused me to later go to 18" 285 Nitto DR's, as I was spinning the fronts much faster than rears, and causing AWD system to shut down. Scrming also has another advantage besides 100% methanol, his Flex doesn't have a massive glass roof, nor does he have the heavy trailer tow package... LOL But he will definitely have the last laugh when he finally beats my times....:RpS_sad::tape2::RpS_w00t::llama::llama:

Archived