Ecoboost Owner Forums

Another 1st....Catless Downpipes! Installed 09/18/12

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, the excitement builds as this has literally been sumthin that's been on the back burner for almost 1yr now.

Couple of things worth mentioning, I've already been advised that due to the increase in diameter, as well as some of the more gentle, natural bends (in comparison to the OEM pipes)... that the large under belly pan will no longer fit, and have to be removed while running these new pipes.

So I might have to look further into those hood pins as a result (remember the weird hood bouncing issue when speeds were in excess of 130mph?).

Also, from what I understand, the opening (escape) side of the turbo's is a full 3" outlet.

Apparently the stock piping almost immediately reduces down to 1 7/8", followed by crimps/crushes/severe bends after that.

Then it enlarges back to 2 1/4" where the pipes mate back into the flex pipes.

This new set up will be a full 3" piping off of the turbo's, and then gradually reduce down to the 2 1/4" run down the center of the car.

It's been suggested I may have to up boost slightly in order to compensate for any potential low end loss (minimal from all indications) but i've also been pleasantly informed that my SHO oughta be an insane rocket in the mid to upper end(s).

So pretty cool stuff indeed!

Also, apparently the fabricator is trying to catch up on other projects that have been back logged for some period of time, therefore, the revised TB / Intake piping (with the OEM noise maker delete) has been placed back on the priority chain, but is still planned for completion at some point.

Suppose i'll have to make another thread on that portion of it, when the time comes.

Thanks for all the interest thus far. Like I said, stay tuned :bolt:

Mike :yo:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

So far I'm really liking everything about your new exhaust, I'm really looking forward to you getting installed on the car and your impressions. Hope it happens soon!

Just checked out the photo form the turbos back, I'm really impressed with how smooth this looks compared to the stock exhaust.

That takes them forever! You are very patient Mike... But also, knowing that you are a perfectionnist, I am sure the end result will meet your standard and expectations... You have good bunch of fellows here as anxious as you are... or more! Can't wait to hear your impression on that one particularly.

Cheers!

Has Kirk indicated he can build copies for other interested parties? Is this a design he has set up a jig so that he can duplicate relatively easily?? Any idea of what the cost will be for other duplicate copies?

IF.. this mod increases performance substantially... I would thing it would be a big seller!

He's only making one set as far as I am aware of....

No jig that I am aware of either....

I asked about the production of more sets (for future interested parties) and he wants to see how these perform for me....

I don't discuss pricing when it comes to individual vendors. What one person gets charged versus another can sometimes vary widely, with many factors influencing said price fluctuations.

Be prepared to pay a pretty penny though.....

Take lots of pics installing please! Had a little X pipe put in front of my Magnaflow, in place of my cat by a local hot rod exhaust guy. I mentioned this mod in the works and he asked some questions and thought it sounded interesting. I almost asked if he could fab something but decided to wait to see your results.

Take lots of pics installing please!

:tsk: :tsk: as if you even had to ask :tsk. :tsk:

I am after all, the "How-To" guru (well at least on those projects i've tackled).

Therefore, damn skippy you know I will :thumb:

I don't know if Kirk has told you yet... but I offered him a big bonus for him to send these to me first....

If they work out like I think they will... you should get your set in January.... either 2014 or 2015!!!! LOL

I must not have been that good then.....

I heard you're better only cuz of you're ability to remove them dentures there old man....

• 2 weeks later...

*** UPDATE 08/20/12 ***

THEY'VE ARRIVED AT MY DOORSTEP! :whoo:

2012-08-20_13-20-40_847-1.jpg

Now I picked up a 2nd Pyrometer / EGT Gauge, therefore, I have to get the sensor bung welded into the other pipe.....

Already exchanged a few text msg's with my mechanic pal and are trying to coordinate his availability, along with mine.

We'll be installing these pipes, retro-fitting the 2013 Auxiliary Oil Cooler, and then also running wiring & installing a 3rd, undisclosed item.

:bolt:

Well well' date=' this day has been long anticipated. I guess its true, that good thing come those who wait. Now the big question is how long will the rest of us have to wait???[/quote']

reminds me of a Ronald Regan joke:

Its hard to get an automobile in the soviet union. They are owned mainly by elite bureaucrats. It takes an average of 10 years to get a car. 1 out of 7 families owned automobiles. You have to go through a major process and put the money out in advance. so this man did this and the dealer said "okay in 10 years come get your car."

"Morning or afternoon?" The man replied.

"well what difference does it make?" Said the dealer.

"The plumber is coming in the morning."

Well well, this day has been long anticipated.

I guess its true, that good thing come those who wait.

Now the big question is.....

How long will the rest of us have to wait???

Chris, it's actually GREAT things come to those who wait.

But admittedly, I waited a helluva lot longer than most would find tolerable.

Actually, it's been quite literally almost 1 solid year since i've placed my deposit on these.

The emotional roller coaster was almost unbearable. Not only for me, but come to find out, also the individual who was gracious enough to fabricate these for me.

He's got a crapload of stress, both from a personal front, but also from a business perspective.

Honestly, I have no idea what his intentions are (or aren't) when it comes to creating more of these.

I'd love to be able to advertise for him & throw him as many interested parties as possible, but I think he's focusing on catching up on other projects he may have fell behind on, before taking on new business.

I hope to God he makes more sets (of these) cuz this 1st set looks absolutely killer.

and for the 3rd undisclosed mod....

dec074433u-flux-capacitor.jpg

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty eight miles per hour, you’re gonna see some serious shit.

But seriously, an upgraded downpipe is usually the first power mod to do on turbo cars. I can't figure out why no aftermarket company aren't already offering something for the EcoBoost engines :noidea:

Archived