Ecoboost Owner Forums

Another 1st....Catless Downpipes! Installed 09/18/12

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They look great Mike, I know you certainly have paid your dues in getting. Now where do you intend to mount another pyrometer? Have you considered a PLX device? Its a multi gauge and could display booth left right egts simultaneously. Or Aeroforce gauges.

http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=MULTDM100OBDII

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html

They look great Mike, I know you certainly have paid your dues in getting.

Now where do you intend to mount another pyrometer?

Thanks Chris..... you're correct, LONG overdue. But well worth it in the end.

As far as your question, I have ideas in mind, but am not interested in any of those products you've linked me too.

But thank you though.

Let's just say that continuity is my rule of thumb at the moment, at least as it pertains to the gauges.

Take a cue from me, and be patient in the revelation forth coming.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Hhhmmmmm now that's a thought.....

Always an enlightening individual you most certainly are there Robert.

***Side note***

Pipes were dropped off yesterday at my mechanic pal's shop. Gonna have that 2nd sensor bung welded in place.

Shipment's arriving tomorrow for my undisclosed mod, then I have to bring it somewhere else after it arrives, for final finishing.

I am hoping to arrange install on all three of these latest mods sometime either late next week (around 30th or 31st) or more likely the following week after (3rd-7th of Sept).

Look'n like a 2 day project. Pipes & Aux Oil during Day 1. 3rd mod on Day 2.

Keep'n my fingers crossed.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I think you should mount them side by side in your gauge pod and move your boost gauge into one of those hood mounted pods from a 1968 Pontiac Firebird!!!!! I had one and it was painted BLACK!!!!

Didn't the Buick regal T Type have the hood boost gauge also? My friends did but maybe he added it.

• 3 weeks later...

Sound clip forthcoming.

Install was delayed for a couple of reasons.

1.) My mechanic friend had an accidental fire at his shop. A small leak in the roof, dripped water onto a fluorescent light fixture ballast (hung from the ceiling) and it short circuited the fixture, causing the insulation in the attic to catch fire.

The back 20' or so of his facility caught fire, but luckily the response from the Fire Dept was swift, and the fire knocked down and shop saved. Insurance contractors have been repairing his place and he has been catching up on back logged, routine repairs.

2.) I had to have the 2nd EGT sensor bung welded into place, & felt it necessary to have all the welds given a "once over" to verify all of them were in tip top shape.

3.) I was waiting on the completion of my 3rd, as yet to be revealed, secret squirrelly mod to be completed. I just heard from the vendor and it is done, and will be ready for p/u on Friday, 09/07/12.

As of this posting, I have tentatively scheduled install on all three of my latest mods (Catless Pipes, Auxiliary Oil Cooler, and secret mod #3) for next Tues & Wed, 09/11 & 09/12.

Updates here on EBOF will hopefully be occurring after that..... stay tuned :thumb:

Sound clip forthcoming.

Install was delayed for a couple of reasons.

1.) My mechanic friend had an accidental fire at his shop. A small leak in the roof, dripped water onto a fluorescent light fixture ballast (hung from the ceiling) and it short circuited the fixture, causing the insulation in the attic to catch fire.

The back 20' or so of his facility caught fire, but luckily the response from the Fire Dept was swift, and the fire knocked down and shop saved. Insurance contractors have been repairing his place and he has been catching up on back logged, routine repairs.

2.) I had to have the 2nd EGT sensor bung welded into place, & felt it necessary to have all the welds given a "once over" to verify all of them were in tip top shape.

3.) I was waiting on the completion of my 3rd, as yet to be revealed, secret squirrelly mod to be completed. I just heard from the vendor and it is done, and will be ready for p/u on Friday, 09/07/12.

As of this posting, I have tentatively scheduled install on all three of my latest mods (Catless Pipes, Auxiliary Oil Cooler, and secret mod #3) for next Tues & Wed, 09/11 & 09/12.

Updates here on EBOF will hopefully be occurring after that..... stay tuned :thumb:

Are you getting laser cannons installed? Come on you can tell us....:)

Or an ejection seat...yeah thats it....

So mysterious.. Cant wait to see the results!

Are you getting laser cannons installed? Come on you can tell us....:)

Or an ejection seat...yeah thats it....

With all the new-found power' date=' maybe a parachute? :-P[/b']

Well.. I know and I'm gonna tell... It's a 150 nitrous shot!

Hmmm.. all this intrigue.. Can't wait to see what the big mystery part is. :)

Hanging on by tooth and nails.

Revelation revealed in this following thread located here --------> http://www.ecoboostownerforums.com/showthread.php?966-BPD-s-quot-Secret-quot-3rd-Mod-(Revealed)&p=12068&posted=1#post12068

• 2 weeks later...

Install completed 09/18/12 !

Since these are the only set in existence, I don't plan on writing up a "How-To". It goes w/o saying, you'll essentially have to remove the old, OEM pipe w/ cats, and re-install the replacements.

Haven't had any opportunity to do any video or exhaust clips yet, as right after install, I had to race around and taxi cab my kids around from their various after school activities.

Anyhow, I can report initial observations......

Doesn't appear I've lost any boost, or if I did, minimal at best.

Turbo spool is definitely noticeable now.

In fact my middle child said "Dad, what's that whining, or whirling noise" I explained to her it was the turbo's. Her reply? "It sounds really cool Dad".

Car definitely seems peppier, or more "spirited" if you will.

Rick over at LMS informed me that they had a set made (from an entirely different vendor) for an EB F150 of theirs, and obtained an addt'l 11whp, and 20wtq.

So I am expecting similar numbers on my end when I get my SHO all dialed in.

Speaking of "dialing in". I do have a dyno appt scheduled @ LMS in October, on Thursday, the 25th.

In the interim, here's a few pictures I snapped off that I thought would be of interest to the community.

A few side by side comparo's of the OEM set up VS. the new catless pipes, as well as a few images of them following install onto my SHO.

Enjoy :thumb:

009_zpsa286b051.jpg

010_zpsaed16e7e.jpg

015_zps2a73a49a.jpg

016_zps62dc1b16.jpg

018_zpsd977780a.jpg

As Homer Simpson states oh so eloquently...... "D'oh!"

I forgot to mention that part.

The sound level of the exhaust is NOT really that much louder. A tad, but almost indescernable.

What IS noticeable is the change in tone. It is deeper. Throatier. More of a growl if you will. Definitely an improvement in my book.

I was a tad bit afraid it was gonna start leaning towards sounding like those hated ricers..... but it's not at all.

Darrell if you're getting a set made by whomever, I would say that ultimately, you'll be really pleased.

I know in the little bit of driving I have performed since it's install yesterday, I really am! :thumb:

Archived