Ecoboost Owner Forums

New Hawk Pads & Power Slot Rotors

I had the Hawk HPS on my 2006 Volvo S60R. That car has Brembo 4 pistons calipers and Brembo rotors. The Hawk HPS were quite and stopped well. They do take a little extra time to warm up in the morning. So dont go blast as soon as you start the car.

The Hawk HPS pads work so well, I even put a set on mywifes Mazda CX-7 with new rotors from tire rack. No issues.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve, I had Powerslot rotors on my 98 F-150 and they were really bad, they de-laminated and actually became worthless in less the 30,000 miles of driving. Mine you these rotors were not abused or used hard. They certainly were not worth the cost and I would stay away from them. On the other hand I replaced them with EBC rotors and they were great. They did improve braking (slightly) but I had no problem with them and they were still on the truck when I traded it. I would recommend them in a heartbeat.

So whats the opinion on getting new pads for the stock rotors? I am used to GM rotors which suck' date=' and warp constantly. That is why I always replaced them. Any major warping issues with Ford Rotors? I don't track the car and drive pretty conservatively.[/quote']

Ford rotors are fairly well known for not lasting, the ones on my 07 Lincoln were good, but I only had 20K miles on it when I got the SHO. The ones on my 98 F-150 had to be turned once while it was still under warranty and then replaced shortly after. I think I would replace the rotors if I were doing a brake replacement. I am not unhappy with the SHO's stopping ability, after driving pick-up's the brakes seem fine. But when I do a replacement I am leaning towards EBC rotors (because of prior experience-which was all positive) and also EBC pads. Also I have another friend that has an 05 F-150 and he has had to replace the front rotors twice...used Ford rotors, both times ended up not lasting, finally when with a an aftermarket set.

Steve' date=' I had Powerslot rotors on my 98 F-150 and they were really bad, they de-laminated and actually became worthless in less the 30,000 miles of driving. Mine you these rotors were not abused or used hard. They certainly were not worth the cost and I would stay away from them. On the other hand I replaced them with EBC rotors and they were great. They did improve braking (slightly) but I had no problem with them and they were still on the truck when I traded it. I would recommend them in a heartbeat.[/quote']

Others like myself have PowerSlot rotors, which I purchased from TireRack... I did this before mjhpadi posted... but have not had any issues. I guess I would get the EBC rotors, if you think you need rotors.

They weren't available for Flex. I ordered EBC Reds for Flex but they got cancelled so I went with Stop Tech pads from AutoAnything. Very happy with them.. Rears are Akebono from TireRack. All rotors came from TireRack.

Since none of these people are sponsors.. I only point out where I bought... not why(this time anyway...) or pricing...

Bob, I remember when you had ordered the EBC red stuff pads, I had them ordered at the same time and ended up buying others too. I wrote it in previous post in this thread, but I needed to make a quick decision and went with EBC sport rotors (slotted and ventilated) and Hawk pads (HPS). They will be installed tomorrow afternoon if they can have them delivered tomorrow morning, if not it will go for Saturday. I am looking forward to see the improvement... It has been a while now that they are noisy and less effective, so it will be reassuring especially that I am about to start my drag season... At almost 120mph and not long to slow down, better be able to rely on good braking!

Thanks everyone, I will surely post first review once I will have driven the car with upgraded front brakes...

You will like... anything is better than stock. My only complaint is the dust... And believe me... It IS NOT A PROBLEM... cause I... STOP... GRRRRR8! Actually like the feel of my Flex brakes and rotors vs. my stock rotors and EBC Red pads on G8.. Of course, I am fighting my cammed engine and high rpms and stall converter when I stop. They just need a bit more pressure when stopping the G8! Wife Wendy loves driving G8.. but hates it when it is stopped- idling or stopping at lights, as it sorta shakes!!! I refer to it as PURE POWER PLEASURE!!! Hoping to take it to the strip tomorrow nite... Need some fun time before Ireland next week!

I am looking forward to starting filming too... I haven't even tried to install the gopros with the suction on the outside windows, so I hope all will work fine. I plan to maybe just install one camera on the outside and the other one on the speedometer. One camera outside will hopefully be enough and I will orient it backward with my confidence to win (I would probably post a winning race anyways lol). Then I plan on doing a montage of both views at same time so that we can see compared to the other car and at the same time see the acceleration of the speedo... Good times ahead!

Rotors and pads were installed yesterday... However, it is strongly suggested to drive at least 500 miles before pressing hard on the brakes because it could affect their efficiency forever after. Something about a coat on surface that could cook and glaze at the beginning if all becomes too hot...

Sad because tomorrow is supposed to be ideal conditions for the track: 70F and 13mph tailwind!!! Gopros were ready... Then weather will rise again so probably in about two weeks I'll kick a$$ with the upgraded ride and hopefully see some 11.xx times!!!

I've installed Carbotech AX6 pads and kept my stock rotors. Good braking power once a bit warmed up but the dust and noise will not please most. After 200km my front wheels are black and the rear are gun metal grey. Here's a quick clip of the lovely noise after about 9km of city driving in Montreal. If you really pushed them and they get hot, their stopping power is great and so is the noise (but no vid yet).

[video=youtube;ZwmkdsYVT6s]

Archived