Ecoboost Owner Forums

Differences between canadian and US 2013 SHO headlights?

1. I know a fellow Canadian (ShoBoat) with the same car than me changed is headlight bulbs to have HID. I am also disappointed with the lighting output of my car. I check the canadian and the US FMC website: the US SHO does come equipped with HID, nothing on that on the canadian website... Anyone can confirms that canadian SHO doesn't have HID?

2. I look in my driver manual: two bulbs type, halogen and D3S for HID in option. I don't remember the halogen type but it wasn't 9012 like ShoBoat told me it was in his... Is my driver manual a US one or can someone confirms the exact type of bulbs I am currently running?

3. I also wonder if my bulbs make both hi and low beams? If I go with an aftermarket 9006 hid like ShoBoat did, I will lose my high beam option?

Thanks in advance :yo:

24 hours and no response, I guess I will have to dissemble 1 bulb and find out by myself...

If ShoBoat can chim in, I would also like to know if I will need a canbus error cancellor or anything like that if I go HID (in the case they aren't, which is probably the case given the low light output...)

Canadian models don't have hid's unfortunately. I just installed some in my 2010. The bulbs are not the same for the 2013 but it should not be any more difficult. Check your owners manual for the non hid model part number and that is the bid kit you will need. It will be single beam as our reflector is what makes us have high and low beams.

When I changed from halogen to HID's in my F-150, I purchased Sylvania Xenarc's. They came with completely new wiring harnesses and new headlamp assemblies. From what I understand the HID requires more voltage, so using a stock wiring harness may cause wiring problems because of the additional draw may actually melt the wiring. I know the Xenarc's also required wiring part of the harness directly to the battery. Also it did include a ballast which is required for the HID's.

When I changed from halogen to HID's in my F-150' date=' I purchased Sylvania Xenarc's. They came with completely new wiring harnesses and new headlamp assemblies. From what I understand the HID requires more voltage, so using a stock wiring harness may cause wiring problems because of the additional draw may actually melt the wiring. I know the Xenarc's also required wiring part of the harness directly to the battery. Also it did include a ballast which is required for the HID's.[/quote']

Thanks for your input! I did retrofit HID in my G6 and upgraded OE HID in my STi. The relay harness take power directly from the battery to feed the ballasts to prevent misfunction, not sure why though. I am currently looking at these sets:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=3957

http://www.mydepots.com/hid-headlights/single-beam-hid-conversion-kit/9006-hb4-hid-conversion-kit/12v-55w-digital-slim-9006-hid-conversion-kit

Quality vs price...

I don't really understand HID's that much (other then how they work) but thought maybe that info would be of some help. I have found that the cheapest is not the best way to go, over and over I have discovered that you get what you pay for, and that buying a more expensive higher quality product normally results in less maintenance, and less overall cost of ownership. Good luck with the HID's please keep us informed on how this project progresses.

I agree. I got DDM HIDs once, and even though I got the wiring harness, I Istill had issues from time to time. I would absolutely buy from a known name like Sylvania.

I know this is slightly off topic, but if I ever have to replace the HID bulb in my car, do you think I have to go to the dealer, or will I be able to get it from someplace like Sylvania? I have had several cars with factory HID's, but never had them long enough to ever have to replace a bulb.

Hey bigpelo!

I thought it was you who pm'd me a few dats ago concerning hid, but looking back at my inbox it was Tim (Redcandysho). If you want I ll refer you to the guy that did my hid install. Amazing job, about 350$ all included, nothing shows when opening the hood and been using them for a good year now and no issues at all and visibility is better than original for sure... The guy is located in Repentigny and is a welder/ mechanic guy... Good combo for that type of job...

I didn't have to modify anything. For the 2010 the bulbs are 9005 so I just bought a generic 9005 hid 6000k kit. The only "modifying" you need to do is to cut a hole in the rubber boot on the headlight assembly for the wires to pass though. I tried the Sylvania Zxe since I didn't want the hassle to switching to hid but there was hardly any difference from the stock bulbs, not to mention their $70 price tag.

TSS: D3S bulbs should fit without having to go to the dealer' date=' just wear latex gloves to HIDprevent touching the bulbs glass while swaping them.[/quote']

Awesome. thank you for the response. I have installed HID's in non factory HID cars, so in addition to wear gloves, I usually do a quick swap with alcohol on the outside of the bulbs as well just in case there was any oil whatsoever on the bulb.

Hey bigpelo!

I thought it was you who pm'd me a few dats ago concerning hid, but looking back at my inbox it was Tim (Redcandysho). If you want I ll refer you to the guy that did my hid install. Amazing job, about 350$ all included, nothing shows when opening the hood and been using them for a good year now and no issues at all and visibility is better than original for sure... The guy is located in Repentigny and is a welder/ mechanic guy... Good combo for that type of job...

Yep, it was me. I am still a little confused though. Are you guys just dropping in a set of HID in the halogen projector headlights?

Just ordered a 5K kit. We will see how they work....

From who?

I will probably buy a cheap digital slim ballast 9006 kit and see how it looks/perform/install/work. If it didn't work the way I want, well I'll go back to stock and call it a day. If everything works I'll be happy and if it turns bad after couple days/weeks/months I'll buy the higher quality kit!

I don't want to spend $200+ and not be sure of the results (US$150 + shipping + custom fee). Also, the chinese $40 kit is shipping free, no custom fee and last time I ordered it tooks 3 business days to arrived... I don't get it.