Ecoboost Owner Forums

Car wrap with 3M vinyl

Coming soon!

Color should be: 3M metallic blue matte with roof and accents left in tuxedo black...

Calipers will be painted in red... All chrome in

Matte black and wheels matte black too.

I negociated a very good price in return of putting their website (vividvinyls.com) somewhere on the car (lower door or back small passenger window)... Price reduced by about 2k$...

I convinced the guy that the car already gets a lit of attention, in blue it could only get more, so he would get visibility...

I ll have the car prepped next week and wrapped in about two weeks... Can t wait!!!

Here is a quick photoshop, not finished, of how it should look like... The stripes on the hood shouldn't be there, but the guy sent me that photo... I will probably just leave the bump on the hood in tuxedo black, but not a double stripe.

That was not done with my actual car, so it will look lower with the H&R and will have the Livernois Decal on the windshield... Should look sport...

2010taurusforsteve-1.jpg

What you guys think?

Thanks for you comments!

GO CHROME OR GO HOME!!!

article-2146146-1325FEB5000005DC-236_634x340.jpg

LOL!

Ok... do blue... looking forward to the results!

I actually thought about it, but not legal here... The pro that will do the job did a BMW X6 with green chrome and black. Looks crazy! Actually it is a chrome over which they put a tinted film with a green tint because green chrome film doesn't exist... Like that would have been legal but much much more expensive...

Here is the real color:

I am very excited too... I continued my research for inspiration and I found this amazing car using the same 3M metallic blue matte vinyl. The color will be the same and the use of black (tuxedo black) will be similar as the one on the picture below. I was to go with red calipers, but I think the blue calipers with the matte black wheels look very sharp. I will probably leave the entire hood in blue as well. So, in black should be the roof, the rear spoiler, the wheels, the mirrors, the door handles and all the bottom part that is already in plastic matte black. All chrome will be removed and plastidipped in matte black or black matte vinyl. I will leave the Livernois windshield decal and put Twin Turbos decals on the hood like I have right now, but will probably put in in black to contrast the blue. Finally, the SHO lettering should be put in black too, but I am wondering what to do with the ones on the rear window pillars... If I put them black, we won't see them...

Also, if there is no more chrome at all on the car, I wonder how the exhaust tips will look like being chromed... Is there a way to put them black too?

Thanks,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1351[/ATTACH]

post-379-142532288829_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532288829_thumb.jpg

steve, i think the chrome exhaust tips would look and be the best option in my opinion, also i think both pictures that you posted are nice but im a HUGE fan of the first blue/picture. i dont know if its the color but in these 2 pictures the first picture sticks out and eye catching to me alot more. BUT its your money and your liking and either way i hope to see alot of pics and wish you luck. also with this vinly laying does this now add weight to your car and now gonna slow you down to the 2nd,3rd fastest SHO? ( just jk around with ya buddy)

anthony

steve, i think the chrome exhaust tips would look and be the best option in my opinion, also i think both pictures that you posted are nice but im a HUGE fan of the first blue/picture. i dont know if its the color but in these 2 pictures the first picture sticks out and eye catching to me alot more. BUT its your money and your liking and either way i hope to see alot of pics and wish you luck. also with this vinly laying does this now add weight to your car and now gonna slow you down to the 2nd,3rd fastest SHO? ( just jk around with ya buddy)

anthony

Hahaha! I thought about it too! IT should add a bit of weight indeed, but the car is already fast enough, so I felt like my mod for the winter would be aesthetic and when spring comes, I will do the downpipes to compensate...

On the first pic, it was done with photoshop with adding blue to a silver car that we found on google. It was just to see how it would look. The Mercedes is actually using the 3M blue metallic matte vinyl that I will be putting on. Basically, the guy that will sponsor my car and will absorb most of the cost told me that he wanted me to choose from 3M and they have limited colors.

I wanted and been recommended to go with a combo matte/gloss with two different colors. Since the car is already black and glossy, I will keep the roof like that and wrap most of the rest of the car. The matte isn't boring in person believe me. It has metal flakes in it. The only big difference is that it doesn't reflect like a gloss paint. Like if you are taking a picture of your car, you could see yourself on the black paint but not on the matte.

The advantage of the matte is that all the lines of the car just pop out much more than the gloss.

A thing that is cool is the fact that the car is black, we can wrap progressively and see how the accents look in black over the blue and we can always wrap in blue the accents that we didn't like left in black.

The guy (the pro installer) is a designer and photoshop master for car design, so I am in good hands. He has a few good ideas too and if ever we don't like them once on the car, in 5 seconds the vinyl can be removed without any damages.

So, thanks all for your comments and suggestions and keep them coming!

Not sure how I like the matte finish...like gloss better. But don't do the exhaust in black...leave it stainless' date=' a black exhaust would look terrible.[/quote']

Here is another pic of the same vinyl... It isn't the same matte as the popular black matte vinyl that imo looks like a primer ready to paint...

Chris suggested to plastidip the exhaust... I may try it and if I don't like it, it can be removed very easily too without any damage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1353[/ATTACH]

post-379-142532289092_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289092_thumb.jpg

I agree on the exhaust tips... I could actually leave the tips in chrome, the mags and the side vents... Still not decided, but getting there. As I sais it can easily be removed if I change my mind...

As far as prepping the car, it is just to make sure that the paint is in good condition. Like I have a rock chip in the back trunk that will need to be fixed (or at least sealed). If someone had a portion repainted, needs to be sure the paint was cooked. All that for when the vinyl would be removed in the future, to make sure the paint doesn't come with the vinyl. Otherwise, it is supposed to protect the paint. Actually, you have some people that buy their car brand new and have it wrapped at the dealer. 4 years after, when they sell the car, they can remove the vinyl and the car looks brand new.

For the installation, they will apply a 3M primer for vinyl and edges sealer where needed.

I will try to sneak around on the day of the install and take some pics of the install.

Thanks for the comments and keep them coming!

Allright!

Apparently, there is a back order on that color and there are 85 rolls on the waiting list, but my guy is also a distributor for 3M, so his order should get filled before the other installers/not distributors.

So, my car will be the first one in Canada with that color... That's an extra, but it is cool too!

So, I will bring my car tomorrow. The guy (distributor) is partner with another guy that owns a body shop and that wants to create a division for car wrapping. So, by having my car tomorrow, he'll be able to do all the prep (pre-vinyl) that includes:

- Paint repair where needed;

- Plastidip and/or matte black vinyl on all chrome;

- Plastidip on the wheels;

- Paint the calipers in blue;

- Remove all parts needed for optimal wrapping.

The vinyl should arrive sometime during next week, so it will allow paint repair to dry and be ready to be applied vinyl on without paint damage.

I don't think I'll be able to have many pictures from me, because the place is an hour drive from home and since they'll have my car, I will be limited in my moving capacity. I'll ask them if they can take some pics of the install along the way.

Then once wrapped, the guy will have to put back on place the removed accessories (mirrors, door handles, transversal bar on the trunk, front grill and bumper, etc.).

I think I'll get back my car in about 2 weeks at most. I am lucky that my parents are in vacation, so I can borrow my dad's car for the coming week at least, but I don't want to abuse on the mileage I'll put and the risks of driving his car in the snow, ice, etc.

The guy told me the car will look amazing and he is as excited as I am to do the project...

Cool!!!