Ecoboost Owner Forums

Car wrap with 3M vinyl

Thanks for the nice comments so far...

Casper: I live close to Montreal, if ever you come by pm me and we can meet; otherwise I am planning to go to Detroit this summer for a Livernois Day if and when they will have one.

More pics coming soon...

Apparently it was a pita to remove the twin turbos decals on the hood... Cheap vinyl installed more than a year ago!

Also, maybe blue callipers won t be possible, because it needs a special paint, so I may go with either lime green or white.

Bpd: if you read this, how hard is it to maintain white callipers clean?

Thanks!

My car is ready!!!

I called the guy today and he told me he had just finished painting the calipers in blue. So I can pick it up before going to work on Monday.

I will take a few pics with my iphone.

The only thing missing will be to put the decals on the cars.

Edit: Got my answer going on ebay where Ken sells them... We can see Mike's car with the decal and it apparently measures 1 1/4" by 12"... I believe I was using 1 1/2" and probably it was closer to 15" then... Thanks anyways!

Question: For the ones that have the TWIN TURBO decals in italic on the hood, could you please tell me what size and what font were used... mainly the size. Since my car will be completely debagged now, I don't need to use the exact font as OEM. He proposed me the font named Helvetica in italic bold and when I google imaged it, it looked very similar. So thank you for the ones who will take the time to measure or answer this question.

The guy also told me that he wanted to do a professional video of the install and final result, so we are going to do a video shooting soon for the final result. He suggested to do it in an interior parking and since our fellow member ONLYA6 already posted nice pics, I think it could be a good spot for a shooting. I also proposed to video shoot outdoor action in the snow to see the wrapped car in action.

So, a few pics and videos are coming soon guys!

Cheers and thanks!

It took 45 hours to:

Remove decals on the hood.

Clean and disinfect the car and blow dry it.

Repair some imperfections (rock chip and dent in the door).

Disassemble bumpers, mirrors, door handles, some moldings, wheels and brakes.

Wrap the car.

Plastidip everything in chrome.

Paint calipers.

Reassemble the parts.

Clean again.

The price would normally be:

Material: 3M vinyl roll of 75ft. (big car!) about 600$.

Labor for wrapping only (includes car wash and decontamination): 2000$

Calipers hand painted: 200$

Plastidip: 80$ plus labor at 45$ an hour... Let's say a good 200$.

Minor repairs: 150$.

So it would easily be a 3,000$ job plus tax or more. Someone looking for only wrapping a full car can expect to pay between 2k$ and 4k$.

Now, I have convinced them to put their logo on my car to use it for advertizing (but not too big) and they cut the ptice by more than half.

I think it is a win-win for both parts.

Can't wait!!!

Edit: Got my answer going on ebay where Ken sells them... We can see Mike's car with the decal and it apparently measures 1 1/4" by 12"... I believe I was using 1 1/2" and probably it was closer to 15" then... Thanks anyways!

Question: For the ones that have the TWIN TURBO decals in italic on the hood, could you please tell me what size and what font were used... mainly the size. Since my car will be completely debagged now, I don't need to use the exact font as OEM. He proposed me the font named Helvetica in italic bold and when I google imaged it, it looked very similar. So thank you for the ones who will take the time to measure or answer this question.

Cheers and thanks!

Mine was custom, not sure on font, but its 1.5 by 12.

6C352BE0-6E3E-4FCA-AD5D-CC08D508FA8C-1392-00000112710285D0.jpg

4934D36C-62E3-4D2D-BE4B-8A2858F5B1B3-1392-0000011277C5FBCF.jpg

Ok, so I got the car finally!!!

It looks amazing, especially in person. I should have the decals of TWIN TURBO on the hood installed sometime this week, so I will take more photos at that time. These are some first pics of the car with my iphone. The car was sitting in the garage and starting to gather dust and then I drove 10 mile in the slush to get to the office, so the car should shine more after a wash:

bluesho1_zpsa61959ea.jpg

bluesho2_zps94403655.jpg

bluesho3_zpsdc31a6f5.jpg

What do you think so far?

Steve' date=' it looks amazing! What a great look...I especially love the chrome exhaust tips!:RpS_lol: Seriously, the look is great, would love to see it in person. It looks very good![/quote']

Thanks! Yeah the fact that all chrome is black, doesn't look stealth as if I would have left the rest of the car black. The only thing I am not completely happy with are the calipers that are painted in blue, but a bit too dark, so they don't stand out... That said, they don't drag too much attention and I'm ok with it because they are not the best looking calipers anyways.

Looking good steve. I'll echo the dismay that there used to be black underneath all that blue. Did youre vinyl guy tell you that it will last a long time? Im wondering how it will hold up to your winters in canada.

Over all looking really good and im quite jealous, keep us posted with more pictures.

I was told it should last a good 5 years. When removed, tuxedo black will be exactly how it looked before wrapping it. 3M comes with a 1 year guarantee when professionally installed. Since they are sponsering me, it is in their advantage to make sure the car looks good, even after a year...

However, if I scratch it or have an accident, I would absorb the cost of repairing/changing it.

As for the pictures, my wife has the good camera in Mexico. Also, with all the snow, it is pointless to try cleaning it... I should do a professional video shoot soon and if he's not taking pictures in that setup, I will.

Thanks!

Looks great' date=' but I don't miss the snow after seeing these photos...... :)[/quote']

Lol! That's nothing... I came back from México a few days ago and there is an extra 6 inches in the last four days that fell on top of the 20 inches received on December 27th alone! The snow banks beside my parking at home are already more than 6 feet high! It had been a while since we had that much snow at this time of the year... That is also why snow tires are a must up here... ; )

I'm thinking that should be a factory color!

I'm almost inclined to agree, however if FMC chose to rock this set up from an OEM perspective, it wouldn't be anywhere near as special as Steve (or any other owner for that matter) having taken the time and $$, to invest in such a unique, quality mod.

Look'n sick Steve and I can't wait to see it in person. Really REALLY impressed with the overall outcome.

Just reaffirms my belief in the entire concept of how two-toning really highlights, and draws visual attention to one's vehicle.

On another note, still no snow whatsoever for me here in the South West Suburbs of Chicago for this year's Winter season.

It's really odd to say the least. Our town's salt piles, due entirely to contractual matters, continues to expand (due to lack of use) and it's beginning to look like Mt. Everest where we stock pile the salt.

Not that I'm happy (by not having any snow) cuz I am, it's just odd for Chi-Town to not have received any type of legitimate snowfall by now.

Weird :der: