Ecoboost Owner Forums

Car wrap with 3M vinyl

Lol! That's nothing... I came back from México a few days ago and there is an extra 6 inches in the last four days that fell on top of the 20 inches received on December 27th alone! The snow banks beside my parking at home are already more than 6 feet high! It had been a while since we had that much snow at this time of the year... That is also why snow tires are a must up here... ; )

Oh I know snow. I am originally from the London area in Southern Ontario, but recently been hanging out in Florida to avoid the cold & white stuff.

A few more pics even if the car is dirty after driving all day in town in the slush

: (

It is special how the color changes with the light...

[ATTACH]1537[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1538[/ATTACH]

That next picture is from the window in my office... But the window is very dirty... Hives a good view on the black roof... Now looks panoramic:[ATTACH]1539[/ATTACH]

Thanks for tour comments all!

post-379-14253228939_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289652_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289657_thumb.jpg

post-379-14253228939_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289652_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289657_thumb.jpg

Looks insanely good buddy!!! I gotta say man, I'd LEAVE OFF those dang decals of the "twin turbo" off the hood. Not sure what the obsession is with those things over here, lol. Sometimes less is more my friend. It will ruin the car IMO.

Stealthy, under the radar, clean lines. LET THE CAR SPEAK FOR ITSELF. You don't need decals to advertise what's under the hood. That's why you see some of the world's finest cars WITHOUT labels or badging......because they don't need it.....think about that.

Having said that. It's not my car & it's not my $$$. She looks great bro. :)

Good points about the twin turbo decals... I installed them on the black car a year and a half ago and found it very nice on the car. It brought up a many nice comments and was the starting point for many discussions. People with those decals know. At least 500 times, no kidding!, people thst I don't know would approach me saying:

"Twin Turbos?!, really?!"... And I gotta admit, I love the attention and talking about the car and how fast and nice ride it is...

I agree that most of the exotic cars don't need a decal to advertize, the card speak for themselves. But they are exotic cars, not Ford Taurus.

Then you have other nice cars that need or choose to advertize a bit to inform what is under the hood like:

The "turbo" on the back of the 911;

The GT500 on the side of the Mustang;

The 6.3AMG on the sportiest Mercedes;

Or just the name of the version of all cars that indicates the liters of the engine: G37, C350...

With the wrap, my car is completely debadged and I can only use decals (no OEM lettering with double face tape) to advertize.

I find the hood very big and empty. Maybe because I got used to the decals, but I agree that the lines stand out better with this color and finish.

So, I am hesitating now... There are also those hood stripes that could complete and do the job too..,

I will think about it...

I appreciate all your comments. We all ate proud owners, it is our own ride at the end, but nobody is indifferent to opinions, especially coming for car enthousiasts that chose the same ride to live their passion.

Cheers all and keep them coming!

I agree on both points presented by SHODetailer, and you Steve.

The debate over badged, or debadged can rage on forever quite honestly.

IMHO I think you should do just the hood stripes, or the TT lettering.

Not both at this point.

IDK, but i'm just not feeling both on your SHO Steve.

One or the other. But certainly not naked and void of anything.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with both of those guys, the blue looks so unique that it doesn't need the TT decals...I think the hood stripes would look nice as they are very small and would be a nice touch to the hood. Although, I'm not sure if the stripes were in black that they would show up enough to make it worth the time and effort to install them.

Looks insanely good buddy!!! I gotta say man, I'd LEAVE OFF those dang decals of the "twin turbo" off the hood. Not sure what the obsession is with those things over here, lol. Sometimes less is more my friend. It will ruin the car IMO.

Stealthy, under the radar, clean lines. LET THE CAR SPEAK FOR ITSELF. You don't need decals to advertise what's under the hood. That's why you see some of the world's finest cars WITHOUT labels or badging......because they don't need it.....think about that.

Having said that. It's not my car & it's not my $$$. She looks great bro. :)

Thats why I did the Carbon Fiber Twin turbo stickers on my Black paint. I only really wanted it to be noticed by people who were already checking out the car. Just driving around in traffic, youd never notice them.

Chris:

About your suggestions, I won't black out the exhaust tips. I almost don't have silver and it makes the Ford emblem, with its chrome, fit better with the rest. Also, by having cut the inside of tail light film, that whiter area looks better with the little chrome left on the back area. The tips become hot and plastidip would 't be an alternative. So, I'll leave them chromed.

I don't have any ecoboost or SHO badge... I cannot use double face tape on the vinyl to put lettering.

Finally, I don't know what you mean by black SHO hood spears, are they the hood stripes? The only spears I know sings! Lol

The Ford emblems in blue don't look bad. The theme being black and blue, I'll keep them blue and save the money...

Thanks!

Chris:

About your suggestions, I won't black out the exhaust tips. I almost don't have silver and it makes the Ford emblem, with its chrome, fit better with the rest. Also, by having cut the inside of tail light film, that whiter area looks better with the little chrome left on the back area. The tips become hot and plastidip would 't be an alternative. So, I'll leave them chromed.

I don't have any ecoboost or SHO badge... I cannot use double face tape on the vinyl to put lettering.

Finally, I don't know what you mean by black SHO hood spears, are they the hood stripes? The only spears I know sings! Lol

The Ford emblems in blue don't look bad. The theme being black and blue, I'll keep them blue and save the money...

Thanks!

Good point Steve, merely suggestions. The spears I refer to I mean the hood strips like I have on mine except in black for you.

So after many thoughts and considering your opinions, I realized that I miss my TWIN TURBO decals on the hood. I won't put the SHO stripes. I was the second to put the TWIN TURBO decals (after another guy that had painted his SHO in blue with flames!). Now, I'll be the second to add "methanol injected" under the TWIN TURBO, like Mike's. Mike, I figured you would be ok with that since you usually arr flattered when others get inspired by your additions...

It will be made with gloss black from a high quality vinyl which is supposed to resist with time and shouldn't damage blue vinyl if it was removed in the future... That said, the methanol injected decals, being smaller will be a pita to install as the letters need to be detached manually and slowly...

I will have to find an inside garage and time to do it well, hopefully this Friday.

Here are the decals: 1.25" x 10.5" for the big and about 3/8" x 8" for the meth decal.

I am confident it will complete the car well to my tastes... Pics to come when I can.

The car gets dirty within 100ft of driving in all that slush... Nevertheless I tried cleaning it very fast this morning throwing snow and wiping it with a scott towel (water hose is frozen lol).

Since it was a bit sunny, I wanted to show the nice reflexion on the car.

Here they go:

[ATTACH]1551[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1552[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1553[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1554[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1555[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1556[/ATTACH]

post-379-142532289686_thumb.jpg

post-379-14253228969_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289695_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289699_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289703_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289707_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289686_thumb.jpg

post-379-14253228969_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289695_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289699_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289703_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289707_thumb.jpg

Cool beans Steve :thumb:

I think it'll look really good personally.

I will measure up my stuff as a means to double check your sizes before you go ordering.

Fellow EBOF member ClassicCars (Ken) is who I ordered up all my stuff through. So in other words, he should have the appropriate sizes I ran with, on file..... but i'll double check for 'ya anyhow.

I'm at work now, so it'll be sometime tomorrow after I grabe a few hours of shut eye after crawling into bed around 7am.

Until then, great pics you've added. Still looks incredible to say the least.

How will that vinyl hold up in the heat of the Summer though out of curiousity? Especially top surfaces such as the engine hood, car's roof, and top of the trunk lid?

Thanks Mike... No need to measure, decals are already done. We went on ken's ebay webpage and when I realized he was using your car to promote his decals, I took a pic of your car on google image ( one with methanol injected) and imported it in his program (kind of an upgraded version of photoshop) and we used it as a guideline to replicate them but with a slightly different font (helvetica bold italic).

I like the results. I made the TWIN TURBO a bit smaller than what I have.

Thanks for the offer of measuring anyways Mike.

As for resistance, it is a very good quality being 3M. It comes with a one year guarantee when installed by ptofessional.

I don't have any on the roof.

Actually plastic is more resistant than paint for all chemicsls, calcium, bird drops etc.

You got a point with the heat, but it is made for that.

He told me he is confident that it will still look very good in at least 5-7 years... After that I don't expect to have the car still, but the owner can just peel it off and the paint will have remained intact like 5-7 years before...

I will ask the owner to report back in 5 years lol!

Cheers!

Steve I wouldn't imagine putting vinyl decal over the wrap will hurt anything, but as will matte finishes you have be careful not polish matte finish when applying decal any hard rubbing on a matter finish will make glossy. I would use soap water in a spray bottle a couple drop of dish soap in the bottle full of water, spray down area to be applied and decal lay on car align and lightly squeegee out, I use a hard plastic squeegee thats wrap in felt. Squeegee out all the water you can and then let dry, in the cool weather you may what to use a hair dyer to speed up before you try to lift off the paper backer.

Thanks Chris,

I actually have tried both technique and prefer to put the decal in one shot dry rather than wet with soap. Less bubble and way easier. Just need to make good measurez as to where you want it.

For the TWIN TURBOs, they are on a transferring paper, so it'll be very easy. The "methanol injected"s aten't, so I need to apply the whole sticker, press on the letter and heat the letters for the glue to stick better and then carefully remove the sticker while making sure the letters stick to the car... If not sticking, I need to use a tool to maintain letter on the car while peeling out the sticker outside the letters... That will require more patience, but all worth it!

Thanks!

No issues with any of my vinyl, anywhere.

As I'm sure you've come to find out 1st hand Steve, it's all in the prep work.

Great prep work = Great, long lasting results.

Of course, I may have slight edge over the average DIY'er out there, at least when it comes to vinyl application.

I used to work at a sign shop for many years, before moving onto Color Formulating and Color Matching at Sherwin William's Automotive Division.

So due to previous work experience, I guess one could say I'm an old pro at the vinyl work.

Please be sure to post pics when she's all done :yo:

Chris again, thanks for the suggestion, it's just that in my past experiences, I have found that the letters don't stick as much when wet and when you peel off, they remain on the transferring paper. It needs more squeegee, therefore more rubbing and as you said, that could affect the matte finish.

But the soapy water surely offers more flexibility for alignment.

Mike: you know me, I like videos and pics, to post them or to watch them!

I finally cleaned the car... Looks nice. I didn't go crazy since I knew it would get dirty after two minutes outside, but I wanted to install the decals on the hood and my uncle insisted to help me wash the car in his garage (my next house will definitely have at least one garage!).

So, the install of the twin turbo was a piece of cake. But I was 't able to put the methanol injected ones because the vinyl used is thicker than usual (glossy black normally used to wrap roofs). So the letters weren't cut deep enough ... I would have to print other ones on thinner vinyl.

Here is how it looks so far:

[ATTACH]1565[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1566[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1567[/ATTACH]

post-379-142532289728_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289732_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289737_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289728_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289732_thumb.jpg

post-379-142532289737_thumb.jpg