Ecoboost Owner Forums

Ecoboost possibility?

Esqny

No problems here' date=' emissions are checked annually in Tennessee.[/quote']

Emissions....in Pennsylvania, it depends on where you live, my county and several others don't require emissions testing during inspection, but serveral others, including one next to mine you have to have emissions test to pass inspection. Very strange, I can pass inspection without emissions testing, even if I have the car inspected in an emissions county, because of my address, but if someone who lives in an emissions county goes to the same inspection station, they must pass testing...

Steve,

I don't care if your comparison is very accurate. It makes sense to me. The more you turn up the wick, the brighter the flame... but don't count on it to last as long. (I know nothing about running in running shoes... if I'm in a hurry I take a car... a fast one!)

Back to the original question... why doesn't Ford do it? Well, to reduce warranty claims and also to allow for upgrades to future model years, hopefully tempting all of us to buy something else from them!

As far as I know tuning doesn't effect emissions testing' date=' and why don't factories do it? Well wouldn't that eliminate the after market? There are endless reasons why, but nobody knows for sure why. One example, the 2013 taurus was rumored to be marketed with a 400hp rating. The reason they didn't I was told was for insurance purposes.[/quote']

I really think that you must remember that most people that purchase cars, end up driving them and doing just required maintenance or less. Most buyers are perfectly happy with a car they way they purchase it and are not interested in increased performance. Heavens, look at the number of SHO's sold vs the number that have added tunes or mods. It's really a very small percentage in relation to cars sold.

I do agree that the HP numbers are probably for insurance reasons, just look at the muscle car era, when engines were rated way under true numbers because of pressure from the insurance industry, who also played a large part in the demise of muscle cars, it wasn't just the increasing fuel costs.

So with car companies that are trying to reach a large market, while still building cars at the lowest cost, I believe that is the main reason you don't see all the options available from the factory.

Steve,

I don't care if your comparison is very accurate. It makes sense to me. The more you turn up the wick, the brighter the flame... but don't count on it to last as long. (I know nothing about running in running shoes... if I'm in a hurry I take a car... a fast one!)

Again, turning up the wick doesn't necessarily mean it's going to last for less time, it just means you are getting more light.....if you are driving a fast car, that was meant to be fast, it doesn't mean that going fast is hurting anything....point being, if you drive it on the edge, that's when you are risking more damage and less life.

Again' date=' turning up the wick doesn't necessarily mean it's going to last for less time, it just means you are getting more light.....if you are driving a fast car, that was meant to be fast, it doesn't mean that going fast is hurting anything....point being, if you drive it on the edge, that's when you are risking more damage and less life.[/quote']

I really agree with what you're saying, especially with regard to how the majority of owners treat their cars.

But in the case of a candle, a brighter flame burns the fuel faster. If it burns faster, it's gone sooner.

And a tune, by design, takes an engine closer to the edge. So I'd say you are "risking more damage and less life". Maybe the failure risk goes from 1 i 10 million to 1 in 9,999,999... and life-expectancy goes from 250,000 miles to 249,750 miles. All negliglible, and other factors (oil changes, gentle warm-ups, etc) could have larger & more than offsetting impacts.

The reason the highly respected tuners here are, well, highly respected, is because they've managed to figure out how to give us more of what we want without meaningfully increasing our exposure to more of what we fear.

I really agree with what you're saying, especially with regard to how the majority of owners treat their cars.

But in the case of a candle, a brighter flame burns the fuel faster. If it burns faster, it's gone sooner.

And a tune, by design, takes an engine closer to the edge.

The reason the highly respected tuners here are, well, highly respected, is because they've managed to figure out how to give us more of what we want without meaningfully increasing our exposure to more of what we fear.

First, let me say, that I am not trying to be argumentative, just trying to spark thought. Agreed, when you turn up the wick, it will burn fuel faster, but not really "hurt" the wick. Same with a vehicle, you can drive it harder/faster, and it will use more fuel but not necessarily reduce engine life.

Further, I guess you could say that a tune does take an engine closer to the edge, but again, if you don't drive abuse the engine, I don't believe the tune will reduce engine life. Also agree that other factors also have larger factors on failure rates, but again I go back to racing engines....they are expected to fail on a fairly regular basis (look at fuel cars [dragsters/funny cars]) they require complete engine rebuilds after every 2 minutes of running, simply because of the amount of stress placed on components during the time they are running. So I believe you could run a tuned street engine and never affect engine life, or you could go out and beat it to death, but you could do the same without the tune. So would you say the way the car was treated had a much more direct input to engine life then the tune ever had on it's life? And again, I am in complete agreement with your statement: "The reason the highly respected tuners here are, well highly respected, is because they've managed to figure out how to give us more of what we want without meaningfully increasing our exposure to more of what we fear.".

Steve,

Back to the original question... why doesn't Ford do it? Well, to reduce warranty claims and also to allow for upgrades to future model years, hopefully tempting all of us to buy something else from them!

Back to when I was building engines years ago, horsepower never decreased reliability. Power is simply a function of how much fuel can be burned in a specific time interval. What we used to do on the performance engines was to sleeve the cylinder block. The installation of a sleeve in a block acted as a buffer between the piston and the bore. When it came time to rebuild the engine, we simply removed and replaced the sleeve. Modern engines come with sleeves from the factory. You simply cannot wear out an engine past the point of being rebuilt. Like diamonds, today's engines are forever.

Reminds me of.......

[video=youtube;-bOKsOveYD0]

LOL

The candle is a bad analogy. For the candle to be a correct analogy, it would imply that the gasoline will be consumed at a faster rate than it otherwise would without a performance tun.e Engines are not considered "consumables", candles and wicks are.

Will do.

As for my garage, just a Cadillac that has been a total disappointment.

Interesting. What kind? I have had pretty good luck with my Caddys. Except an 06 AWD SRX V8. Leased new in 06, traded on another Caddy one year later (07 Escalade). This is my first Ford product. Love the car, but it's my last due to a lack of good service departments in my area. Fortunately, it has been super reliable.

LOL

The candle is a bad analogy. For the candle to be a correct analogy, it would imply that the gasoline will be consumed at a faster rate than it otherwise would without a performance tun.e Engines are not considered "consumables", candles and wicks are.

Analogies are examples, not technical duplicates. Like the gentleman describing running shoes, I was simply trying to restate that an item usually only has so much to give. We can get it fast or we can get it for a long time, but eventually it runs out. Top Fuel engines last several seconds before a rebuild. That sounds like a consumable to me!

Somebody who was not trying to be arguementative said a brighter candle lasts just as long. I responded that candles burn fuel... fuel only lasts so long... extending my original analogy well beyond it's intent.

Metal fatigues. 400hp will push the piston rings a little harder than 365hp will. 400hp will twist the CV joints a little harder too. Metal fatigues. Enough to matter? Ask the engineers.

Do I want a tune? Yes... so it doesn't matter enough to me.

But to say more power won't wear something (besides the tires!) faster is, IMHO, misguided. TINSTAAFL.

Good luck with your purchase.

Analogies are examples, not technical duplicates. Like the gentleman describing running shoes, I was simply trying to restate that an item usually only has so much to give. We can get it fast or we can get it for a long time, but eventually it runs out. Top Fuel engines last several seconds before a rebuild. That sounds like a consumable to me!

Somebody who was not trying to be arguementative said a brighter candle lasts just as long. I responded that candles burn fuel... fuel only lasts so long... extending my original analogy well beyond it's intent.

Metal fatigues. 400hp will push the piston rings a little harder than 365hp will. 400hp will twist the CV joints a little harder too. Metal fatigues. Enough to matter? Ask the engineers.

Do I want a tune? Yes... so it doesn't matter enough to me.

But to say more power won't wear something (besides the tires!) faster is, IMHO, misguided. TINSTAAFL.

Good luck with your purchase.

That resumes well my thoughts, except for that TINSTAAFL which, as a French Canadian, is to olong of an acronym to start guessing what it means... lol (laughing out loud)! ; )

Esqny a couple guys sorta touched on this already. Ford has a 400HP tune for these and that has been confirmed. At first I thought they would sell it as a FRPP product as they sell their own tunes for Mustangs. A couple weeks ago however somebody on here posted they were told insurance didnt like a mass produced 400HP sedan so they agreed on 365.

Another factor is the timing. Auto makers tune so their vehicles around mid or low octane fuel. People that had the early Lincoln Navigators complained that the 4V 5.4 however wonderful required 91 octane.